is 600 to 800 NET cals per day too low?

Options

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Anyway, why can't we just live and let live? As long as someone isn't starving themselves, which is generally defined as eating less than 1,200 cals / day (for women anyway) why can't we just do what works for us personally?

Except the OP is talking about netting 600 - 800. Not even close to 1200.

And "what works" for you personally, could potentially be doing damage that you cannot see to your organs. That is why people are so adamant on this issue.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I started off ok on 1200 calories and stalled so I upped my calories to 1530 and ate at least half my exercise calories a day and now I'm losing again, although I put them up to maintain.
    I'm 5 ft nothing and weight 106 lbs..go figure....
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Unless you're 3'2", yes.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

Anyway, why can't we just live and let live? As long as someone isn't starving themselves, which is generally defined as eating less than 1,200 cals / day (for women anyway) why can't we just do what works for us personally?

And "what works" for you personally, could potentially be doing damage that you cannot see to your organs. That is why people are so adamant on this issue.

^^^ This.

Also I like having lean body mass aka muscle. Do you think you'll support lean body mass and get that shapely look you may want? Or go skinny fat because you catabolize muscle? And then because you have less LBM lower your BMR and so require less calories and find if you eat badily you pile weight on easier because you need less calories?

I know I'd rather have more LBM and be able to eat more calories myself. I know I keep posting this pic but this is my misses:

abzilla.jpg

and at around 5' 1-2" she is on 1600 calories a day. WHY eat less and look worse at the end of it and put on fat more readily? It doesn't make sense?
  • InkedBeauty89
    InkedBeauty89 Posts: 114 Member
    Options

For those of you with significant weight to lose, it makes sense to eat more than 1,200, but if you're on your last 10 or so pounds, good luck losing on more than 1,200!! :wink:

Complete and utter nonsense.

exactly^^ im on my last 10 lbs and i eat between 1600-2000. Im still losing, slowly but surely.
  • elise9832
    elise9832 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I think you are confusing my message with the OPs. I don't advocate for this 600 - 800 she is netting. That is too low. What I'm saying is that for some people eating 1,200 calories is right for them. Personally this is the only thing that works for me because I'm already "healthy" and am just going for more slim (while still well within the healthy range). For those of you who love to work out, lift weights, etc. for hours a day, I totally understand eating more. But for my piddly 20 minutes a day, it doesn't affect my calorie needs all that much. I know you're coming from a good place, but I'm not saying I personally net 800 calories a day nor am I saying anyone else should unless they are under doctor's supervision.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    You are a 5'8", 180 pound, 25 year old female.

You have a BMR of 1640. This is Basal Metabolic Rate, the number of calories they would feed you if you were in a coma, just to fuel your basic bodily functions, heart beat, brain function, breathing, organs.

Eat at least that much.

^ This.

My pre-pregnancy weight was right where you are now, and I'm 5'8" also. I lost about a lb per week on 1700-1900 NET calories per day.

It's important to get enough nutrition throughout the day or risk damaging your health and wellbeing long-term. Be patient. Lose slower. Work on attaining your fitness goals alongside your weight goals.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I think you are confusing my message with the OPs. I don't advocate for this 600 - 800 she is netting. That is too low. What I'm saying is that for some people eating 1,200 calories is right for them. Personally this is the only thing that works for me because I'm already "healthy" and am just going for more slim (while still well within the healthy range). For those of you who love to work out, lift weights, etc. for hours a day, I totally understand eating more. But for my piddly 20 minutes a day, it doesn't affect my calorie needs all that much. I know you're coming from a good place, but I'm not saying I personally net 800 calories a day nor am I saying anyone else should unless they are under doctor's supervision.

I do not work out and lift weights for hours a day. I exercise 30 minutes a day, and I eat 1700 calories. I'm 49 years old and I'm close to my goal weight.

Unless you are very short and petite, 1200 calories is probably too little for you too. When you are close to your goal weight, you should be eating very near normal, having a small calorie deficit, not a large one.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

If you are not trying to lose a lot, you should be eating only slightly under maintenance, so unless your maintenance is 1450 or less, you should be eating more than 1200 Net.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    OK I have to defend the OP. For some people (like me) it's very difficult to lose weight unless you eat about 1,200 calories per day. This is the minimum amount of calories for a healthy weight loss, and the National Institute of Health backs this up. If you're netting a little below 1,200 because of exercise that's OK in my book. Now, 600 does seem really low, and I only do moderate circuit training for about 20 minutes a day, so I usually NET at least 1,000.

For those of you with significant weight to lose, it makes sense to eat more than 1,200, but if you're on your last 10 or so pounds, good luck losing on more than 1,200!! :wink:
    Well this is certainly not true for everyone. I got to a point where I didn't care if I reached my initial weight loss goal, at around 45 pounds lost. I actually lost my last 4 pounds in 4 weeks while experimenting with "maintenance" calories of net 2100 per day. There is no reason to deprive yourself. Food is fuel.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

I do not work out and lift weights for hours a day. I exercise 30 minutes a day, and I eat 1700 calories. I'm 49 years old and I'm close to my goal weight.

Unless you are very short and petite, 1200 calories is probably too little for you too. When you are close to your goal weight, you should be eating very near normal, having a small calorie deficit, not a large one.

Exactly this. I do workout for hours, i eat 6500 calories when bulking and 3000-4000 when cutting BUT even then, I'm only burning around 900 cals a day.

Keep your metabolism fast by eating as much as possible to maintain as much lean tissue as you can. This keeps your BMR higher meaning its harder to put on fat.

Why catabolize lean tissue and make it easier to burn fat? Some seem here to confuse weight lost for FAT lost. Lose FAT not weight.
  • mercymarque
    Options
    too low. You should not go below 1200. Let Mfp set your cal goal. As you lose it will adjust and u will have less cal. Eat clean (fruits, veggies, lean meats and whole grains), drink plenty of water and get moving. Log ur food on a regular basis. Pre-log if u can. Weigh ur food to get an accurate count and eat. Eat as close to the number as possible without falling to far behind. Some days are hard to do that but it is best to fuel ur body especially if ur exercising. When u exercise u get to eat back cal. Some will say eat them all back some will say eat none back. Eat some back if ur hungry, if not don't. Good luck
  • HeinzPrincess
    Options

^^^ This.

Also I like having lean body mass aka muscle. Do you think you'll support lean body mass and get that shapely look you may want? Or go skinny fat because you catabolize muscle? And then because you have less LBM lower your BMR and so require less calories and find if you eat badily you pile weight on easier because you need less calories?

I know I'd rather have more LBM and be able to eat more calories myself. I know I keep posting this pic but this is my misses:

abzilla.jpg

and at around 5' 1-2" she is on 1600 calories a day. WHY eat less and look worse at the end of it and put on fat more readily? It doesn't make sense?

Ummmm, yeah, does everyone see this hottie hot hot that eats more than 1200 cals a day?

:love: :smokin:
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    If you want to consistently lose weight a d keep it off, it is too low. Eat healthy and try new foods so you don't get bored.good luck.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    For reference, I am 5'8, 26% bf and eat 2000 calories EVERY day. I lift or do bodyweight exercises at home 3x per week and might throw in 15 mins of HIIT here or there.

Can you lose fat eating that much a day? I sure did! I put this photo comparison - with the caption, just for funsies. I'm not where I want to be, but why eat 1,200 when I can accomplish more by eating 2,000?

IPOARM4Months.jpg

ETA: You should read this and do your own calculations -- http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Cptrob
    Cptrob Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    this msg is for the OP... Im sorry if you already posted it and i missed it.. Do you know what your body fat percentage is? If you are at 5-8 percent body fat, then you are going to be slowing down your metabolism, but you will also be at 5-8 percent body fat which is pretty lean and shredded right?

Im sorry, I don't understand everyone that is saying you need to eat more.. Are you trying to use your stored up fat as energy to get lean etc? Well how does consuming more calories that then need to be used before you use your fat storage sound like a productive idea?

run some searches here.. you will be amazed with actual science... http://ajcn.nutrition.org/

Here is a great study on meal frequency ie: 6 small meals a day vs 3 or less
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/85/4/981.full?sid=4cc34536-d15f-411e-be7e-0aabf2b2c824
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    You're fine I think
    I lost more weight using another site that was less technical than I have on this site
    I went back to MY way (calculating bmr X activity level - 500 cals = goal calories) and have started losing again.
    I don't do that eating back your exercise calories crap

Note: I eat more than 1200 cals a day. Do I net 1200? No
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    You started a hornets nest. I also did that for a while excersised and did not eat them back so my net was about 500-1000 the fat practically melted off. Now I am maintaining (loose a little here and there) I have a deficit anywhere between 500-1000 per day some days I go over by 1000 or so. It all evens out in the end.
  • Cptrob
    Cptrob Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Exactly this. I do workout for hours, i eat 6500 calories when bulking and 3000-4000 when cutting BUT even then, I'm only burning around 900 cals a day.

Keep your metabolism fast by eating as much as possible to maintain as much lean tissue as you can. This keeps your BMR higher meaning its harder to put on fat.

Why catabolize lean tissue and make it easier to burn fat? Some seem here to confuse weight lost for FAT lost. Lose FAT not weight.

^^^^ Im with ya about not catabolizing lean muscle.. But medical studies have shown that if you are overweight/obese your body will use fat cells as the primary source of energy conversion to keep your body moving, and it will not use lean muscle until other options have been depleted.. Now for someone who is lean, low body fat percentage like yourself.. and hopefully soon me :).. Lean muscle will become a an option for the body much faster as a source of energy.. And def, that will suck...
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

Complete and utter nonsense.
    No kidding - I've dropped 2 pants sizes while eating around 1800+ calories a day, thankyouverymuch! :tongue: And luck had nothin' to do with it!