Valentine's menu

Options
Hope this is ok on this board (didn't know to put here or recipes)

Just wondering what everyone's Valentine menu was if you're staying in and having a romantic night with your other half :wink: :flowerforyou:

Ours is an around the world: (we are in UK)

Starter: Tuna Nicoise Salad (France)
Main: Low -fat/calorie Spaghetti Bolognese with Low-fat/calorie Garlic Bread (Italy)
Dessert: Low-fat/calorie Baked Chocolate Cheesecake (USA) a Slimming World recipe

Plus wine, we have Californian, Australian and South African, although don't know which one we will be having yet lol. Although I will only be having a couple of glasses at the most :wink: :drinker:

What is everyone else planning? :smile:

Stacey

Replies

• Dive_Girl
    Dive_Girl Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Well....I'm driving down to Southern California to hop aboard a dive boat with 25 other people aboard. It's a 65 ft fishing vessel and it is anything but romantic. We sleep in bunks and need earplugs to drown out the noise of the engine and snoring. Then, tomorrow, I will stuff myself into an incredibly unattractive 7mm wetsuit that makes me look like a beached whale and I will dive for the entire day trying to catch lobsters. Me and the love of my life will be doing this the entire Valentine weekend. The boat tries to make up for the lack of ambiance by stuffing the passengers with home cooked comfort food every time we exit the water. Sigh....this is where it gets tough. Tomorrow night we'll cram into closet sized galley and be fed very very well on probably tri tip, fresh veggies and they always have ice-cream. I will not have ice-cream! I HOPE to at very least maintain this weekend but it will be difficult. I will be thinking of all of you and of my commitment to myself. I plan to pick up protein bars as snacks to stave off the muchies they provide.

With all that said, this is a very very fun trip. In fact, 7 years ago was my first Valentines Day with my honey and we spent it diving off this very boat chasing lobsters. A few of our friends are going and we know all the crew. It will be the best V Day ever!

Wish me luck!!!
  • StaceG1986
    Options
    Sounds great!!

Good luck!! :laugh:
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have a weekend of (shockingly healthy) feasting planned--my man lives 1800 miles away and we rarely see each other because of our jobs, so I've got to make it count!

Tonight (Friday):
    London Broil with crimini mushrooms, roasted garlic bechamel sauce & a 2005 Bordeaux
    fresh pear with dark chocolate covered almonds & my reserve port

Saturday:
    fresh fruit, toasted whole wheat hallah bread & El Salvidorian dark roast coffee (finger food for breakfast in bed!)
    home-made spicy shrimp & panko sushi, miso soup & sake
    veal chili with sweet onions

Sunday (*splurge day, about 1900cal, but also going shopping in the city that day):
    Chicken Mole Brunch Nachos & Belini's @ my favorite parkside cafe
    Two Boots Pizzaria in Manhattan
    snack of grilled peppers with hummus
    cocktails and italian pastry in Little Italy

Monday (a holiday in the US, so I'm hosting a little dinner/belated engagement party):
    champaigne :smile:
    pancetta, red onion and herbed brie pininis
    tomato, mozzarella and basil salad tossed with lemon, herbs and olive oil and served over spinach leaves
    chicken alfredo with broccoli rabe and whole wheat fusilli & a 2002 Viogner
    fresh berry & lemon tart with Lemon Drop Martinis

I've found sneaky little ways of making all of my recipes lower calorie and lower in fat and salt--mostly lemon juice, garlic and tons of fresh herbs. Considering I started planning the weekend menus on Tuesday, I'm pretty impressed by myself.

Hope everyone has a wonderful & romantic weekend! :heart:
  • workingitout
    workingitout Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    That all sounds great! I wanted to celebrate with my husband and two daughters, so I handmade invitations and gave them out yesterday to make sure my teenage girls planned on spending the evening at home! I am making pork tenderloin seasoned with garlic and herbs, asparagus, risotto and crescent rolls. (I know I'll eat some pork tenderloin and asparagus, not sure if I'll have calories left for risotto and crescent rolls!) I am going to be sneaky about dessert - I'm serving Weight Watchers chocolate chip cookie dough sundaes, around 170 calories each, but I'm going to plate them and not tell that they're WW! I also bought little Hershey's kisses with the "I Love You" tag to decorate the table, and I'll try very hard not to eat too many!!!
  • StaceG1986
    Options
    I have a weekend of (shockingly healthy) feasting planned--my man lives 1800 miles away and we rarely see each other because of our jobs, so I've got to make it count!

Tonight (Friday):
    London Broil with crimini mushrooms, roasted garlic bechamel sauce & a 2005 Bordeaux
    fresh pear with dark chocolate covered almonds & my reserve port

Saturday:
    fresh fruit, toasted whole wheat hallah bread & El Salvidorian dark roast coffee (finger food for breakfast in bed!)
    home-made spicy shrimp & panko sushi, miso soup & sake
    veal chili with sweet onions

Sunday (*splurge day, about 1900cal, but also going shopping in the city that day):
    Chicken Mole Brunch Nachos & Belini's @ my favorite parkside cafe
    Two Boots Pizzaria in Manhattan
    snack of grilled peppers with hummus
    cocktails and italian pastry in Little Italy

Monday (a holiday in the US, so I'm hosting a little dinner/belated engagement party):
    champaigne :smile:
    pancetta, red onion and herbed brie pininis
    tomato, mozzarella and basil salad tossed with lemon, herbs and olive oil and served over spinach leaves
    chicken alfredo with broccoli rabe and whole wheat fusilli & a 2002 Viogner
    fresh berry & lemon tart with Lemon Drop Martinis

I've found sneaky little ways of making all of my recipes lower calorie and lower in fat and salt--mostly lemon juice, garlic and tons of fresh herbs. Considering I started planning the weekend menus on Tuesday, I'm pretty impressed by myself.

Hope everyone has a wonderful & romantic weekend! :heart:

That sounds great, especially love the sound of the Monday menu, mmmm :tongue: !!!
  • StaceG1986
    Options
    That all sounds great! I wanted to celebrate with my husband and two daughters, so I handmade invitations and gave them out yesterday to make sure my teenage girls planned on spending the evening at home! I am making pork tenderloin seasoned with garlic and herbs, asparagus, risotto and crescent rolls. (I know I'll eat some pork tenderloin and asparagus, not sure if I'll have calories left for risotto and crescent rolls!) I am going to be sneaky about dessert - I'm serving Weight Watchers chocolate chip cookie dough sundaes, around 170 calories each, but I'm going to plate them and not tell that they're WW! I also bought little Hershey's kisses with the "I Love You" tag to decorate the table, and I'll try very hard not to eat too many!!!

Ahh so sweet!! Have a great day!! :bigsmile:
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    tonight's dinner is:
    shrimp scampi
    dirty rice
    green beans
    tangelos
    diet soda cake
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Lobster bisque (very very very tiny bowl) and salad
    Salmon
    risotto
    choc covered strawberries
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    My girls and I made a yummy Valentine's Feast:

Grilled lemon pepper salmon
    Shrimp
    Baked potatoes w/ reduced fat sour cream (I used plain yogurt on mine- yum!)
    Whole wheat braided rolls
    Peas/ Carrots/ Broccoli (let each kid pick their fav veggie :laugh: )

And for dessert I made a chocolate mousse and also a sugar-free chocolate fudge pudding w/ triple berries and fat-free Reddi Whip for topping.

It was AWESOME! We had fresh flowers on the table and ate by candlelight. My girls LOVED it! :heart: Much cheaper than eating out at a restaurant and healthier too!

And for breakfast today I made *pink* pancakes (whole wheat, but then used red food coloring to *dye* them. :heart: ) I love doing special things for holidays for my family!
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    We had friends over for a Valentines themed dinner on Thursday night.

Our appetizer was a crab dip made with fake crab meat, sauteed onions, light cream cheese and light mayo - we dipped veggies and bread into the dip - the bread was home made, white bread, with two heads of roasted garlic in it and minced fresh rosemary. I had a little of the bread!

For the main course I made stuffed peppers (I used Red Bell peppers) and I stuffed them with a mixture of ground venison (very lean), brown rice, herbs and a little skim mozzarella cheese.

For dessert we had dark chocolate fondue with fresh strawberries.

Last night we had lean steaks with sauteed mushrooms and a fabulous bottle of wine!
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options

This is all really sweet. My mom would do fun things like this for us when I was a teen (my whole life really) living at home. I didn't tell her then but it felt really special. I now want to do cute little things for my family on holidays and feel like it is a nice tradition.
    I love that you gave them cards inviting them. Such a positive way to make family time. Good for you, I hope you have a great time.
  • workingitout
    workingitout Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    We had such a fun evening. We ate by candlelight in the dining room, and the kids loved having all the Hershey kisses on the table that they could eat whenever they wanted. Also, the Weight Watchers sundaes were a huge hit! My husband and both girls kept going on about how delicious they were, etc and asked if I made those desserts earlier and put them in the freezer. I couldn't help myself from laughing and finally admitting that they were from Weight Watchers! Everyone thought that was hilarious and still kept complimenting them.