belly measurement help!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist measured it by having me hold the tape at my belly button and turn around in a circle. So I say it's at your belly button and you want to be under 35 there for your height (I'm the same height).
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    stand in front of a mirror and bend to the side. where the skin creases is where your waist is. It is usually around 2 inches above your belly button.

I love this answer as when I measure where my belly button is ---I do not like the number:noway:
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist measured it by having me hold the tape at my belly button and turn around in a circle. So I say it's at your belly button and you want to be under 35 there for your height (I'm the same height).

Maybe you have a high belly button or low hip bones, because if not, your nutritionist measured wrong. The waist is at the soft spot between the top of the hip bone and below the rib cage. Your waist doesn't care where the little hole in your skin is on the front, and it isn't in the same spot for everyone.
  • justiningham
    justiningham Posts: 139 Member
    Options
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    This thread has changed my life.
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    When they say "waist measurement" it means around the smallest part under your ribs between your bottom ribs and your navel aka your belly button. When doctors discuss your risk and measure they take the biggest part between your ribs and hips and say that is your "girth".

The whole idea is that the biggest part around your middle shouldn't be greater than such and such inches. If your slim and fit you won't be at a high risk since your not too large anywhere. But I do know where a lot of people are coming from because I used to have three rolls on my sides between my breasts and hips and lets just say it wasn't pretty. Now I happily sport my smaller waist line and no rolls!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. At first I was at 40 inches and now i'm at 34 and I measure 1 inch above my belly button. who knows if i'm doing that right. I'll check everyone's answer.....
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    For women it has more to do with Hip/ waist ratio for health.

I've always been told to measure about 2" above the belly button ( natural waist) which isn't the smallest part for everyone.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I measure my waist at the smallest part & then I measure my belly across my belly button.
    Belly is 34 3/4 & waist is 26 5/8 I'm 5'5 120lbs.
    Idk if I really believe ab the heart disease thing if ur belly button measurement is such & such, cuz some people are built wider than others & with larger frames.