running shoes?

Options
I am just now starting to run.. and by just, I mean the first time in 19 years just... I ran/walked on the treadmill yesterday and my ankle muscles and knees are sore. Not painful, but sore. I know i need new shoes... good shoes.. running on a treadmill in cheap crosstrainers is probably not good, and likely to blame for alot of the soreness..

anyway, anyone have any suggestions that could be useful for me when i go to the store to buy shoes? It seems i do run on the outside of my feet mostly, so supination rather than pronation running? I heard asics is a good brand, but looking for more opinions from runners out there.. i want to get into running, but need to protect my joints while doing it.

thanks
Dana

Replies

• ttfit2
    ttfit2 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Tayner - I just bought a new pair of saucony's motion stability cause I tend to run on the outside of the shoes. I went to Road Runner Sports and they do a foot analysis on you. Try to find a store that has you get on a treadmill and the computer records how you run and then the sales person can advise you on the best type of shoe for you. That is what I did. My shoes feel great.
    Hope that helps.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Yea I went to fleet feet; they tell you how you run and what types of shoes you need. So I bought a pair of sauconys and I could have been happier. I didnt buy them at the store because of the price but even getting a show similar was worth the trip.
  • patchthezebra
    Options
    It depends on the shape of your feet, asics tend to have a range that can suit all feet. I was a sport nut for many years and have tried many different brands of shoes and have vowed that I will never buy anything else other than asics. Friends of mine that run only use asics.

If you ankles, knees or shins keep getting sore you might want to go to a podiatrist to check on how you walk/run.

Good luck with the running.
  • stringsNlinks
    stringsNlinks Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Tayner - I just bought a new pair of saucony's motion stability cause I tend to run on the outside of the shoes. I went to Road Runner Sports and they do a foot analysis on you. Try to find a store that has you get on a treadmill and the computer records how you run and then the sales person can advise you on the best type of shoe for you. That is what I did. My shoes feel great.
    Hope that helps.

I agree - I just did this yesterday and I cannot believe the difference. I ended up with saucony's too. good luck
  • Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    My last three pairs have been Saucony's and I love them! You really have to try a lot of different pairs on and get what feels best for your feet though..don't rely on a brand just because other runners recommend them. :flowerforyou:
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    You should get your feet analyzed.

I love ASICS!
  • sprags
    sprags Posts: 56
    Options
    All I wear are Asics. I even have a back up pair for when mine wear out!!