How to construct a HIIT workout?

Replies

• mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    That YouTube link looks great.

What I've done on the elliptical is take a 45-50 min. playlist and workout to the songs. So I'll warm up for 5 min. Then work hard for three songs, take it easy for about 2 min. of the next song and then start working back up my intensity before the next song starts. Typically what happens is that when a song starts, I'm working up to my anaerobic level, hang out there for as long as I can and then by the time the next song hits, I've lower my heart rate somewhat, just so I'm not dying, and then work back up again, for a total of three times for that three-song set. The music really helps me stay motivated when I don't have an instructor reminding me to keep at it.
  • katz22
    katz22 Posts: 116 Member
    I just did a fitness blender workout, they're great. Although I accidentally made the intervals longer because I wrote it down wrong.
  • explodingalice
    explodingalice Posts: 158 Member
    bump
  • Whimzeee
    Whimzeee Posts: 152 Member
    Saving -
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    some experts (such as mike boyle) will advise high exertion, then rest.. versus slow walk, etc..

Here is example of a HIT workout i do when on the road, if the hotel only has treadmills.
    2 minute warmup walk at 3.5 mph.
    I then jump off.. standing on the side rails of the treadmill.. increase speed to 6 mph
    70 second run@ 6mph
    jump off.
    rest 30 sec, while increasing to 7 mph..
    60 seconds at 7mph- then rest
    50 seconds at 8mph- then rest
    40 at 9mph- then rest
    30 and 10mph- then rest
    20 at 11 mph- then rest
    20 at 12mph. - then rest
    20 at 11- then rest
    30 at 10- then rest
    40 at 9- then rest
    50 at 8.. at this point 8mph will feel slow after the higher speed sprints.
    after this is complete. I shower, and go to the lobby bar for a well deserved cold beer. lol

NOTES:
    1) these are the speeds I am comfortable with, adjust for speeds you are comfortable with.
    2) I strive for 30 seconds rest. but at the highest speeds I might need 40 seconds before i feel recovered.
    3) I have also done 8mph workouts.. on for 30 off for 30 seconds. 10 rounds.
    4) adjust your work rest intervals based on your fitness level.. you might start at 20 on/40 off. and get up 2:1 ratio if very fit.
    5) one mode for timing is bpm recovery threshold.. you monitor your HR and start again after a 30 or 40 bpm recovery.
    6) you can also incorporate this for lifting or body weight exercises. the important point is that you need to have an actual program so that you are not hitting the same body part back to back.. In other words, you can do back, then jump pretty quickly to chest and then to legs as you are not using the same muscles on two consecutive movements.
    this is a 20-30second 100m time. this is VERY slow. Like what preteen children can run. And on a tredmil no less where they do a lot of the running for you.

I suppose this could be considered hit, bit it is NOT hiit. You need to actually sprint and challenge the body for hiit. A fast jog does not do that...
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Pick the cardio machine of your choice (treadmill, elliptical, rower, bike, swimming) and perform a 5 minute warm-up.

Then take time to stretch properly and you are ready to begin.

Start at a moderate pace for 1 minute, then crank up the pace to 90 or 95% of your Maximum Heart Rate (MHR).

Continue at this effort for 15 to 20 seconds, then slow down to your starting pace for another minute followed by another all-out sprint for 15 to 20 seconds.

20-30 miin
    That..sounds like death.

that sounds awesome!!! thank you for the info.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    bump
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    bump!
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member

this is a 20-30second 100m time. this is VERY slow. Like what preteen children can run. And on a tredmil no less where they do a lot of the running for you.

I suppose this could be considered hit, bit it is NOT hiit. You need to actually sprint and challenge the body for hiit. A fast jog does not do that...

A) if you feel 12 miles an hour is slow, then you are certainly faster than I am.
    b) 12mph is the max on the treadmills I have tried.
    c) I noted I only do that particular workout when in a hotel with very limited equipment. when you travel for business, you sometimes have to make do.
    d) yes.. if I had a track available, and it was daytime and the weather was acceptable.. i could do faster for a sprint but the net effect for the workout described is high intensity. it certainly is for me, and if you dont think it would challenge you then I bow to your awesomeness.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    I think it was confusion between a twelve minute mile and 12 mph (a five minute mile).
  • am06or
    am06or Posts: 30 Member
    bump
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    bump to read later since I just started doing this a couple weeks ago.
  • :-)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Tried this a few days ago, having always just done interval training on the machines at a highish level.
    Tried doing some HIIT on the elliptical but got my times wrong I guess. I did 1.10 at a slow pace, and 1.10 at an all out pace. My heart rate was varying from 75% of max up to 95% of max. Also had it set to interval anyway so the resistance was changing every 3 minutes or so. I managed an hour of that.
  • greeneyes0809
    greeneyes0809 Posts: 422 Member
    Bump
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    A) if you feel 12 miles an hour is slow, then you are certainly faster than I am.
    b) 12mph is the max on the treadmills I have tried.
    c) I noted I only do that particular workout when in a hotel with very limited equipment. when you travel for business, you sometimes have to make do.
    d) yes.. if I had a track available, and it was daytime and the weather was acceptable.. i could do faster for a sprint but the net effect for the workout described is high intensity. it certainly is for me, and if you dont think it would challenge you then I bow to your awesomeness.
    Again, no offence, but I challenge you to go to a track and run out 100m and see your time. I would bet cash that as long as you're not infirm in some way preventing you to run full out, you'll break 17 seconds easy. If you've been doing this sort of hiit regularly and have a decent cardio base, I wouldn't put it past you to break 15 seconds.

I used to train and I've seen this sooooo many times in clients at the gym who have never played sports. Very rarely though in athletes as they seem to know what all out means. Something about being on equipment and they just seem, I dunno, afraid to go all out? It's hard to explain, but put your *kitten* on the track and seriously give it all you got. Race against someone if you have to to get the motivation. I promise you you should obliterate 20 seconds.

And once you do that, then the realization should set in that your workouts are not near as intense as you think they are.. Or as they should be.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    It is rude to tell a stranger that their workouts aren't as intense as they should be. You think that HIIT is based on velocity rather than an individual's heart rate. You calculate 12MPH as equivalent to something between 7.5 and 11MPH, and say that 'all out speed' is 13MPH. All silliness.
  • roro1925
    roro1925 Posts: 120 Member
    I also love fitnessblender.com and their awesome workouts. They have a great one called Comprehensive Total Body HIIT and core workout and it's great!! It's 40 min total but it includes a great warm up and cool down session :)
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    HIIT is an awesome workout!!!
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Good thread, thanks