SO FRUSTRATED!!!!!

I started on Monday, tracking EVERYTHING and NOT exceeding 1,200 calories, exercised EVERYDAY for 35 minutes (running/walking), HEALTHY foods, LOTS of water, and I GAINED TWO POUNDS!!!! Yes, TWO POUNDS!!! WHY???? Anything that went into my mouth was tracked.

Replies

• sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Could be that you are not eating enough. It could be water weight too. Keep doing your workouts and the weight will come down.

Add some strength training to your routine. JM's 30 DS is a good one to start. Its on youtube.

Best Wishes...
  • falconeer37
    falconeer37 Posts: 12 Member
    Girl, it's only been three days! Relax! It's probably water weight. Women especially have highly fluctuating water weight because of their menstrual cycles... also, if you just started exercising your muscles are probaby retaining more water than usual. That's why most doctors only recommend weighing yourself every two weeks or so... I only do every three or once a month for that reason. Much more accurate.

If you're looking for an immediate result, you may be disappointed. This takes time and can be frustrating, but don't get so down on yourself. Try and enjoy the process of making yourself healthier and don't obsess over every little pound.
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Take a deep breath, and keep going. Like others have said - this is likely water weight. I can fluctuate 3-4 pounds overnight depending on my cycle. This is a marathon, not a race. To that end, ensure that you are getting enough calories - if you're only eating 1200 calories and not eating back any of your exercise calories, you're likely eating below your BMR and can mess up your metabolic rate.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    What everybody else has said. Keep up your program for two weeks. IF then you still see no results, try to up your calories or eat back half of your exercise calories...see if that helps.
  • Emily - really good advice above me here. I'd be concerned about the claorie intake personally (I think you might need to eat more) but more importantly, don't weigh yourself every day. The scale lies - measurements and how your clothes fit over time is the true "tell" on the progress you're making.

Focus on eating right, exercising and let the numbers work themselves out over time. (And they will, trust me.)
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,923 Member
    Um, 3 days. I can fluctuate up to 5 pounds in week. And why in the world are you weighing that much anyway - you'll drive yourself insane and it won't make the weight come off faster. If you started working out and never did before your muscles WILL retain water - which can make the scale go up. You need at least 3 weeks to see results sometimes. Patience and don't give up!
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    You started on Monday... It's only Thursday. You could be eating too much sodium, at a time of the month where you will naturally gain some weight due to your cycle, maybe it's muscles retaining water.

Don't freak out over it. You don't lose weight every time you step on the scale... it just doesn't happen. Keep going and eventually you will see results.

As others have mentioned, 1200 cals may be far too low for you. That amount of calories isn't for most people even though that's what this website tends to give a lot of people.

Also, are you weighing and measuring everything you eat and drink? If you are eyeballing portions you are most likely counting too little. As often as possible use a kitchen scale as measuring cups aren't the greatest for foods.
  • My guess is you are not eating enough. 1,200 calories seems very little. (especially if you're working out on a constant basis) - I'd recommend eating 5-6 small meals a day. I also do not 100% trust the scale and base my sucesses off measurements. Increase in muscle mass could increase the scale, but you will be more lean all around.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    What others have said. 1) Water weight fluctuates. A LOT. 2) It's only been three days, most of us have to wait a couple of weeks or longer to see even slight results. (Those of who do see a quick drop of two or three pounds are only losing water weight, so while it's encouraging, it's only the start, not the victorious finish.)

Be patient. Another poster said "You have a lifetime to lose the weight." Hearing that really helped me be nice to myself during this initial process.

It may also be that you are trying to make too many changes at once. It's extremely stressful to a mind (and sometimes to our body.) I started out by just cutting back on soda. Three weeks later, I cut it out entirely. I started out by logging calories ONLY. A couple of weeks later I started walking.

One pound at a time. One inch at a time. This is okay.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Water weight, plus you're at least a month early for this post. You need patience in this game.
  • So wish I could get back on track. Use to walk 35 a week work out at curves 3-4 X's a week . now I can get my act together. I've gained back close to 10 lbs. Talk about frustrated. try and try and still at a stand still. any advice to get back on track???
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,314 Member
    EAT more and RELAX. Don't WEIGH yourself every DAY!!!!!!!!!!