shutting out the world?

Options
I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times already. But how does one go about shutting out all the negative crap going on in their own little world to truly focus on themselves and making the improvements they need to make to their lifestyle, fitness, and overall health??

Seems like I can't go more than a few hours without encountering bad news of some sort that leaves me wanting a whole chocolate cake or box of cookies or both.

Replies

• mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    When your feeling stressed and want to eat the things you mentioned don't. Go for a walk or if you have a gym membership go to the gym and workout. Have to just find other ways to destress.
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    There really is no easy answer to this. Everybody handles things in different ways. What I would do is get out my frustration through exercise. Get mad? Go running, fast.
    You could also look at it this way, over eating to counter emotions is sort of similar to smoking to counter emotions. They both provide temporary relief but you are left with damage that lasts much longer.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Humor :)))

3100552955_a3edec61cb.jpg?v=0
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I never knew how to do that until I faced reality, most people are too concerned with themselves, and what's in front of them to realize what the 'bigger picture' is.

Realizing that I was doing myself a disservice by saying 'yes' to everybody, I wasn't taking care of the most important person, ME. Don't feel like you have to take on the world's problems.

Worrying won't fix things, look at what's bothering you, are you going to die if something doesn't happen? no? then stop worrying, what can you do to help out the situation? look at everything you can do to either help or diffuse the situation, what are the most reasonable/affordable things you can do? prioritize them, make a list, and do a few of those things, If there isn't anything you can do to help, then let go of the negative thought.

Celebrate the little things. Learn to let go.

When I find myself wanting to eat because I feel down, I pick up something to keep my hands busy, crochet, drawing, jewelry making, anything other than food.

I could be wrong, but if there is something deeper than the general question you posted, feel free to message me. People always seem to come to me when they want to talk.

Good Luck!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Humor :)))

3100552955_a3edec61cb.jpg?v=0

*melts* DAAAWWWW!!!!!!!!!!

OP - I have a life that isn't outwardly stressful, but that is constantly jacked about by a mental health disorder. It makes my relationship with food tumultuous at best. The only thing I've found that calms the seas is repeated gentle, encouraging, and kind self-talk. I am in a body that wants to carry me. I am allowed to make good food choices and I am allowed to not feel guilty when I don't. Things like that.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    we pagans find it easy to shut the world and negativity out. It's called meditation and positive thinking. :drinker:
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    You JUST DO IT--life is always going to throw curves and crashes but when it comes to taking care of "you", you really have to "keep it moving" and do what's in your best interest :)

Since your instinct is to eat something you shouldn't have, try eating something that's "better" for you :)
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    OP - I have a life that isn't outwardly stressful, but that is constantly jacked about by a mental health disorder. It makes my relationship with food tumultuous at best. The only thing I've found that calms the seas is repeated gentle, encouraging, and kind self-talk. I am in a body that wants to carry me. I am allowed to make good food choices and I am allowed to not feel guilty when I don't. Things like that.
    [/quote]

I'm with this person. I'm struggling with mental health as well. My method of dealing with negative outside forces was to remove them from my life. I had to make some difficult decisions about what people were allowed to spend time in my life, but it has been totally worth it. For example, I separated from my daughter's father. I haven't seen my sister with drug addictions for a few years and my family knows that, though I care about her, I don't have space in my life to deal with her problems as well as my own, so they don't spread gossip about her in my direction. It may be harsh, but it's for my and my child's and husband's own good. My mental and physical health improved greatly.
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    When your feeling stressed and want to eat the things you mentioned don't. Go for a walk or if you have a gym membership go to the gym and workout. Have to just find other ways to destress.

Yeah this...

We are going to have issues no matter what size we are, no control over that. How we choose to deal with those problems is under our control. So make up in your mind right now, what you are going to do when you are getting stressed.
  • linda1243
    Options
    When you get stressed, focus on someone else. Reach out to a friend who is ill, go do some volunteer work, or since it's the holiday season, run and grab an angel off a tree to shop for a family in a need... I think when you focus on someone else and their problems, it helps you remember the positives in your life. Keeps your hand busy too.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Change your perspective from half empty to half full. Perception is the mind's greatest tool.
  • tinacrane
    tinacrane Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I 100% agree with what all the other kind mfpers have said. But I wanted to add one thought: in the midst of crisis-big or little- I feel that my eating is one thing I have control over. When all is else is beyond my control- even crashing around me- I can quietly log my food and feel empowered and in control in some area of my life. :flowerforyou:
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    bad news, stress and a roller coaster life are all a part of the day to day.....if you don't figure out how to manage the day to day how are you going to incorporate this lifestyle change?

we can't find success in a glass dome away from all the natural progressions of life....because once back in the thick of things we would revert to learned behaviour...

edited to remove an "a"
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I try very hard not to worry about what's going on in the world because there's enough going on in my community that is of more concern to me. I only watch the news to get the weather because everything else to do depressing sometimes. You can't put what is going on in the world on your shoulders. I try very hard just to stay positive because trust me, it can get and be a lot worse. I surround myself with caring and truthful people and I pray throughout my day to be thankful for what I have and what I don't have and be thankful that I and my family are not in the muck and mire of the all the negative stuff that is going on.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    One thing I learned in therapy is the ability to tolerate unpleasant feelings. I truly did not know how to do this before. You are going to have to learn how to tolerate unpleasant feelings. You are going to have to learn how to sit with your emotions. You are going to have to learn how to understand your negative thoughts. You can temporarily 'jam' or 'block' unpleasant feelings by the act of eating (especially something pleasurable such as chocolate) but all that does is make you fat.

Do you want to continue being fat?

if not, do something about it. Next time you feel like you MUST eat something when you hear/think/see/do something unpleasant...STOP, and don't eat the chocolate or whatever. Allow yourself to truly experience your emotions. Allow the feelings to wash over you. Sit with it. Feel it. And let it pass. Because it will pass! You actually won't die because you heard some unpleasant news, or got into an unpleasant argument, or had to pay some unpleasant bills and now you are unpleasantly broke until next payday, or whatever it is that is stressing you out. Nothing bad will happen to you if you allow yourself to feel these things. What will happen is that you will become stronger at managing your emotions and responses to life.