Refrigerator Oatmeal - BLECH! - What am I doing Wrong?

Options
I made refrigerator oatmeal on Tuesday and Wednesday.

This is what I did on Tuesday:
1/3 c oatmeal - old fashioned
1/3 cup vanilla greek yogirt
1/3 cup lowfat milk
2T ground flax seed

It came out pasty and nasty. It was all I could do to finish it (and I'll eat anything). But I didn't give up. The next day I tried:

1/3/ c oatmeal - old fashioned
1/3 c greek yogurt
1/3 c lowfat milk
1T ground flax seed
2t brown sugar

It was better but just didn't wow me.

I read posts on here about how people rave about refrigerator oatmeal - so I think I must be doing something wrong. Any advice?

Replies

• LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    It's just nasty stuff.
  • Simona40
    Simona40 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I LOVE refrigerator oatmeal. I use recipes from theyummylife.com but I dont use yogurt in mine.

My current fave is:

oatmeal
    coconut milk
    shredded coconut
    pineapple tidbits
    splenda to taste

Equal parts oatmeal and coconut milk [I usually do 1c. each] and then I add a handful of the coconut and pineapple.

Before that I made:

oatmeal
    almond milk
    slivered almonds
    dried cranberries
    cinnamon
    splenda to taste

The texture and taste is VERY different from cooked oatmeal. I'm not a big fan of the cooked stuff so maybe that's why I like the refrigerator kind....
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I agree, it's nasty. But I think we are in the minority.

I'd rather get steel-cut oats, bring them to a boil at night, turn off the heat and cover it, and have proper oatmeal in the morning.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I read posts on here about how people rave about refrigerator oatmeal - so I think I must be doing something wrong. Any advice?

Just a different personal taste. I love cottage cheese, I know folks that hate it. Sometimes it isn't the ingredients/recipe, just that something might not work for you.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Add protein powder/sf/ff instant pudding mix to yours and ditch the flax
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Try grating an apple into it, and/or juicing an orange. I also use a small tub of low fat fruit yoghurt. I love it!

I usually do about 100 grams of oats, 1 apple, 1 orange, 1 small tub of yoghurt and that's enough for me for 2 breakfasts.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It's just nasty stuff.

This ^^^

I make baked oatmeal bars and add protein powder and hemp seeds to them. One will keep me full for several hours at just about 450 calories.
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I do mine without the yogurt.

steel cut oats
    milk
    cinnamon sugar
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Try a little more milk; Greek yogurt really makes it thick. I find that refrigerator oats are better when they're a little runnier. Also, add a pinch of salt and a little vanilla.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    It's just nasty stuff.

This ^^^

Ditto. This post reminds of when I was a child and refused to eat my oatmeal. My parents would put it in the fridge and threaten to make me eat it for dinner. They never followed through, but I had to look at it every time I opened the fridge. Blech!
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    Honestly, I find it's just disgusting.

I soak oatmeal overnight, nuke it in the AM and call it a morning.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options

I notice you don't mention anything about eating it.:wink:
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Add fruit like blueberries, strawberries and a sweetner. google some recipes.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I like it. I made the mistake of changing my usual mix and used milk. Yecch.
    I use vanilla almond milk for mine. Mixes and tastes better IMO.

1/2 cup large flake oats
    1 T oat bran
    3/4 cup vanilla almond milk
    80 grams greek yogurt
    1 or 2 tsp. brown sugar
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/4 cup raisins
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options

I make baked oatmeal bars and add protein powder and hemp seeds to them. One will keep me full for several hours at just about 450 calories.

Recipe please and thank you!
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options

I notice you don't mention anything about eating it.:wink:
    And I eat it too :tongue: Right after I pour some warmed real maple syrup over the top. nomnomnom :wink:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it don't eat it. There are a billion different foods in this world - not everyone likes the same things and I will never understand why people try and force themselves to eat something they don't like.

I love it, but I need to add something for sweetener - like honey, truvia, or torani sugar free syrups...
  • AmyMalley77
    AmyMalley77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I made refrigerator oatmeal on Tuesday and Wednesday.

This is what I did on Tuesday:
    1/3 c oatmeal - old fashioned
    1/3 cup vanilla greek yogirt
    1/3 cup lowfat milk
    2T ground flax seed

It came out pasty and nasty. It was all I could do to finish it (and I'll eat anything). But I didn't give up. The next day I tried:

1/3/ c oatmeal - old fashioned
    1/3 c greek yogurt
    1/3 c lowfat milk
    1T ground flax seed
    2t brown sugar

It was better but just didn't wow me.

As much as I LOVE greek yogurt, I did NOT like it in the refrigerator oats at all. I really tried to like it, but didn't. Once I omitted the greek yogurt, I increased the milk (I use vanilla unsweetened almond milk) a little bit, and they are MUCH better. I too didn't like the pasty texture, and I did not like the tang that the yogurt gave.

My favorite way to make them is with pureed pumpkin, a little bit of brown sugar to sweeten. I also top it with a few crushed pecans.

Refrigerator oats are very good, once you tweek the recipes to the way you like them. Just play around with it a little.
  • gracieabem
    Options
    I don't think I'd like that either - too plain. I usually grate an apple and sprinkle cinnamon in mine, as well as equal parts of oats, milk and Greek yoghurt. Chia seeds if I have them.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I agree, it's nasty. But I think we are in the minority.

I'd rather get steel-cut oats, bring them to a boil at night, turn off the heat and cover it, and have proper oatmeal in the morning.
    The perfect oats.