Water aerobics

Options
Supposed to try a class at the gym this weekend. I have always heard/read that it is a great alternative to standard cardio. Has anyone gotten great results from doing it? I am interested in doing it once a week if it worth it.

Replies

• Sondrasr
    Options
    I do water aerobics twice a week and I can definitely tell that it is working. Anything to get I yourself moving is always great. Good luck. I am sure ou will le it as much as I do.
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I do water aerobics 2-3 times a week and I love it. I go 2 days with my husband and it's a way for us to spend some time together just him and me and get in shape.

It does depend though on the instructor. Each day has a different instructor and way of teaching the class (including music choices.) Try and go to a couple of different instructors if you can to find the one that teaches in a way that really gets you ampd. For me an my husband it's two different instructors, his is the Monday instructor and mine is the Tuesday instructor. The Thursday class is much more laid back but it's better than not going.

Make sure you stretch some before you start and take water with you. It's easy to get dehydrated,
  • bidwhist
    bidwhist Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to try it. I'm hoping to make it a "rest day".
  • bethanyfglover
    bethanyfglover Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My instructor is awesome, so I try to make it as much as possible...I'm currently going 4 days a week on top of my other weight training. I have been doing this routine about a week and a half and can already see results with not much change in my diet. Arm definition is the first thing I noticed...and it reminds me to stand up straighter. I would recommend atleast 2 times a week if you would be replacing it with cardio.
  • wvfrog22
    Options
    I started a class last week and so far, I love it! I honestly thought it wouldn't be too hard, but boy, was I wrong!! I was so sore the next day. I do feel that I need to stretch more than what's done with the class though. I'm looking forward to my next class!
  • HollV
    HollV Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling with polymyelgia for several years and it has been difficult to exercise. My doctors suggested water aerobics as everything else i tried made me very sore. I started water aerobics in Sept (2012). I went twice a week and the exercises did make me sore, but not as sore as gym workouts. I was determined to keep it up. At the end of the 2nd month, I began to notice that I wasn't feeling sore (except when we would do a new exercise). I love the classes. My instructor and others in my class keep telling me that I am looking thinner, even though I have hardly lost any weight. I was able to get into my smaller jeans, so I know that I am at least firming up. I wasn't dieting until January, but have lost 4 pounds since starting MFP.
  • HollV
    HollV Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you are doing other exercises, once a week might be okay for a little exercise variety, but if it is going to be a large part of your fitness regime, I would try at least 2x a week. Then you could walk or do something else on other days.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I start Monday. Never tried it before
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    it depends how much you put in. I do it at my local community centre and I am the youngest by 30 years. The instructor is really good (I am particularly fond of her barbell routine) and I go all out. The old ladies around me do their exercises and chat about their various things. Since no one can really see whether you kick as hard as you can or just moderately you have to be your own motivator, but if you do it right, it can work really well :-)
  • slgthatsme
    Options
    I am REALLY looking forward to starting aquafit and my closest pool offers it in gentle, warm water, regular pool and deep water. I want to start on the regular and then maybe do the warm water pool when I am having bad pain days. I am hoping that it is fun and it works!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    it depends how much you put in. I do it at my local community centre and I am the youngest by 30 years. The instructor is really good (I am particularly fond of her barbell routine) and I go all out. The old ladies around me do their exercises and chat about their various things. Since no one can really see whether you kick as hard as you can or just moderately you have to be your own motivator, but if you do it right, it can work really well :-)

^This. Depends on what you put into it. I'm usually the youngest by like 30 years too. The old ladies chit chat while they tread, where the "faster" people take the outside ring of the deep end. It's good for the occasional switch up.

If you can find Aqua Zumba, do it. So much fun and much more intense (though it doesn't feel like it).
  • queenofthebay
    Options

^This. Depends on what you put into it. I'm usually the youngest by like 30 years too. The old ladies chit chat while they tread, where the "faster" people take the outside ring of the deep end. It's good for the occasional switch up.

If you can find Aqua Zumba, do it. So much fun and much more intense (though it doesn't feel like it).

Its DEFINITELY what you put into it. I also love the Aqua Zumba. It was a challenge at first, couldn't seem to get the rhythm in the water due to the resistance lol. But now I love it!!! I go 3-4 times a week at California Family Fitness.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    When I first started this journey I had to use water displacement to allow me to stand long enough to exercise. I spent the next 17 months in the pool doing various Aerobic exercise including walking in a therapy pool and lost 170 lbs. before I was able to work my way out of the pool and on to dry ground but I still use the pool as part of my exercise regimen... So Yes I am a supporter of it..... Best of Luck