Do you add supplements to your diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• MrsAnderson_GettingHealthy
    Options
    protein shakes are a good meal replacement and for very little calories

I think that is one of the reasons why I don't use supplements. I would much rather eat the actual food then substitute with a drink/shake.

I would have to agree. I don't want to drink a shake rather than eat a meal. I need more nutrients than just protein.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    If you eat a proper diet, and get adequate sun, you don't need supplements, with one exception: B12.
    get adequate sun? da ****

Vitamin D :)
    gotcha haha i was like i know being tan looks good for some people but damn
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I have heard of a lot of people choosing to add protein shakes, protein bars, slimfast, vitamins, etc. into their diet in order to help them. I don't know anything about any of these supplements and I am hoping to learn more.

Why do you take them? What do you take? Have they helped? What have you noticed about taking them and not taking them?

Thanks!

Yes, i have protein powder virtually every day. Why? because it's a simple way to take in some calories and protein. convenience factor. There is no difference in taking it vs not taking per se; it's just another food, like chicken or eggs. Given unlimited time and resources there would be no need for protein powder.

I also take 5g creatine per day because it is believed to quickly recharge ATP. Translation: better recovery between sets, leads to more volume of lifting, leads to better strength gains. It does seem to help.

I also take a multivitamin because I think it might fill in any gaps I may have in my micronutrition.

Oh, and fish oil daily too, for omega-3. I'm hard pressed to say whether I actually feel any difference; although, I did seem to have a marked improvement in my mood when I first started it.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I have a multi-vitamin a couple days a week. I also occasionally have: Vitamin B, Vitamin D, and iron. NOT daily. I usually take them 1-2 times a week. If I take multi vitamins every day, I get a headache, IDK why.
  • icandoanything2012
    Options
    I just take a good multivitamin that also has iron and minerals because a while back I had blood tests that kept coming back and saying I was missing things so I just use it as insurance that my body is getting everything it needs. Since then, no issues. I do eat a very healthy diet but I'm also on medications for health issues that may have messed some things up a bit.
  • splitdog79
    splitdog79 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian except for that I take a fish oil capsule daily. I also take a multivitamin and a calcium supplement.

It's all about filling in the holes in your nutrients that you can't fill with your diet.
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Protein shake for lunch
    B complex vitamin
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I try to have a whey protein shake once a day to help achieve my macros... My diet is low carb high protein and i struggle to get to so many grams of protein if I don't have it..the protein powder I have also has its bcaas which aids in repairing muscles from exercise. It is also a low carb option. They can be expensive but I find the days I don't have it my progress isn't as good as the days I did... I also feel a lot better when my body is consuming more protein as I don't get as hungry.

interested in your low carb shake - which one are you using?

I only just got into them and i feel AMAZING since beginning - never had so much energy and i agree, i perform a million times better if i have the shakes.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!