Vegans...what do you put on your salad?

Options
As a dressing. Not only am I gluten free, which left little options, now as a vegan it seems like it leaves none lol. Today I used a homemade avocado dressing which was yummy but looking for more ideas.

Replies

• cfregon
    cfregon Posts: 147
    Options
    I love using salsa. On the Boarder Medium salsa and some slivered almonds....weird combo, but tastes great as salad toppings. :)
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan but I love balsamic vinegar, some sliced pickled garlic and freshly ground salt and pepper on my salads.
  • luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I make a citrus dijon one.

2 tbsp dijon (I do not recommend grey poupon, its too strong)
    1 tbsp orange juice
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    1 tbsp agave (or honey)

It's tasty.
  • luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    or salsa!
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i have a bottle of raspberry vinaigrette that i use at home. at restaurants i go with vinaigrettes if available, the oil and vinegar in the little decanters, or italian.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I have used this one and loved it:
    Citrus Balsamic Vinaigrette

Ingredients

2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    1/4 cup orange juice (fresh)
    2 tblsp sugar
    pinch nutmeg
    1/2 tsp orange zest

Directions

Mix and heat over medium heat in saucepan until sugar is melted. Refrigerate

I am vegan, and also avoid oils, so frequently I will put lime juice,lemon juice, or orange juice (all fresh squeezed from fruit) over my salads. My salads usually have a TON of tasty things in them, so they don't need a lot of dressing! Oh, and I sometimes use salsa.
  • mehani48
    mehani48 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I like using just rice vinegar and a little freshly ground black pepper.
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    Have you tried the vegan cheese sold in the produce area of foods. How about making a taco salad using Tofu crumbles. I am not vegan. My husband is lacto vegeterian I just cook for him. I have learned to be creative. I also make quinoa salad
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Mash up an avocado and mix it with salsa.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I use an aged balsamic vinegar that has a lower acidity (4% instead of the usual 6%), and is thicker so it clings to leaves. The one I like is sometimes available at Whole Foods, but I order it by the case from the company once a year for the best price.

It's called Balsamic Grand Reserve Vinegar by Napa Valley Naturals.

Edited to add this link:

http://www.napavalleynaturals.com/Grand-Reserve-Balsamic-Vinegar/p/NVN-GRAND&c=NapaValleyNaturals@BalsamicVinegars
  • Queen_Adrock
    Queen_Adrock Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Also not vegan, but I love balsamic vinegar & olive oil on my salads. It's even better if you can get infused vinegars and oils...at home, I have Persian lime vinegar and rosemary oil. Mmmm!
  • kirlia
    kirlia Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Some simple ones I like to use:

Olive oil & balsamic vinegar
    Salsa & guacamole
    Avocado & the juice of half a lemon/lime

Also, a little more effort, but - if you throw nuts, oil, and spices (to whatever taste) in the food processor, you can get a more "creamy" dressing.
  • erin4609
    erin4609 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Everything and anything! (vegan that is!) these days I've been putting pumpkin in my salads. I've also put hummus in them. Nutritional yeast and balsmic vinegar is soooo goood
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    When I'm feeling saucy, a little flax oil & a LOT of apple cider vinegar :happy:

Usually I have avo which is a dressing in its self. One of my more recent favs (or revisitied fav from childhood), slice up radishes - thin or thick to personal taste - put in bowl with vinegar (apple cider is my personal fav), let sit for at least 30 mins, then pour radishes & some vinegar on salad - so TASTY!!! can even use it on veggies, rice or GF pasta (makes for a great cold pasta "sauce")
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    OP are you talking about dressings or other toppings? There are tons of premade vegan dressings and lots of easy ones to make. I love tahini based dressings. As for toppings I put grilled tofu, grilled veggies, nuts, seeds, qorn, chik patties, seitan, veggie burger etc. so many things go well on salad.
  • vegansammiii
    Options
    I'm vegan,too. I use hemp oil, Bragg's liquid aminos, Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, Lime juice, cumin, pepper all mixed together. SO GOOD!!!!
  • RubyRed8067
    Options
    balsamic vinegar and oil. all you'll need.
  • RubyRed8067
    Options
    I'm vegan,too. I use hemp oil, Bragg's liquid aminos, Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, Lime juice, cumin, pepper all mixed together. SO GOOD!!!!

And Braggs Nutritional yeast seasoning..
  • hedders
    Options
    Also can use things like a couple of sliced strawberries or handful of cranberries to give it a different twist.
  • antigravity_x
    antigravity_x Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    As far as salad dressings? I like to just grind some black pepper and use a little splash of vinegar. Sometimes I splurge and put a good italian dressing on mine as well. You can find vegan versions of most dressings at the grocery store that aren't terribly calorie dense or you can get a nice, low-cal vinaigrette.

As far as mix-ins? I love a big handful of spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, black beans, chickpeas, pickles, kidney beans, black olives, sunflower seeds, snap peas, and sometimes I will splurge and throw baco-bits on top, but only just a few. (totally vegan!).

Also for a whole meal, I will grill up some tofu or some of those gardein chik'n strips and throw them on top, too. Mmmm.