Can't wrap my brain around 2300 calories a day....

Options
2»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    This throws me off. If I can eat 2300 calories a day to maintain my goal weight, how can I eat that many calories now to lose weight?

Because your current TDEE is more than 2300 calories, it's about 2600. So if you ate at 2300, you'd have a 300 calorie a day deficit, and lose about .6 pounds a week. Fat 2 Fit also says, " It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point." So if you ate 2000 instead, you'd end up with a 600 calorie a day deficit, and lose a little over a pound a week.

If you tell MFP you want to lose one pound a week, and ate your exercise calories you'd probably end up close to 2000 anyway.

So, the numbers on fat2fit are just a 300 calorie deficit. Meaning I can go lower for a bigger deficit, but still be doing it healthy?
    My TDEE is around 2600, I can eat 1600, not eating extra bc of exercise.
    OR
    MFP has me at 1360, but if I eat my exercise cals back that would also put me at 1600.
    Same number. Just different way of getting there. (If I wanted a 2 lb loss per week and 1000 cal deficit daily.)
    Correct?

Figure out your current TDEE. Subtract 20% from that. Eat that every day. (Don't know where you got the idea to subtract 1000 - it would be more like subtracting 460 - round it up to 500 if you want, but not 1000). Don't eat more on exercise days, just eat that same number. Keep doing the exercise.

The formula is always TDEE minus 15%-20% for weight loss. You don't change that to 40% for any reason.

Ty :)
    I was under the impression that you wanted a 1000 calorie deficit per day to lose 2 lbs per week?
    See, I'm totally lost.
    20% below TDEE would still be almost 2100 cals a day for me. I can really lose weight eating that much?! Does alcohol count? I could drink some of that :laugh:
    jk :ohwell:

If you are using the TDEE method, you subtract 20% MAX. If you are using the MFP method, they subtract 1000 calories for a two pound per week loss. This all comes together dependent on your current weight. The more you weigh, the more you can lose per week. (Like LorinaLynn said earlier). The TDEE method is the method most sites use. It assumes you will continue your exercise program as stated when you start. MFP allows a larger deficit, but you must add in Exercise calories - which should even it all out, if you use it as it is designed.

They are the same basic calculations, but MFP is more finely tuned to allow for people who will have sporadic work-out schedules. I prefer MFP's method, but the problem is people will choose "Sedentary" and "Lose 2 pounds a week" because they can (and they figure more loss/faster).

The TDEE method is a little more idiot-proof. MFP causes a lot of under-eating since people don't take the time to figure out their own nutrition needs and will choose much too agressively on their weight-loss goals. Human nature, but ineffective.

ps - make mine a Margarita Rocks.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I dont get why everyone makes TDEE so confusing....if you aren't on a strict workout regiment, then just put Sedentary, take 20% off from that number and then eat back your exercise calories. Simple. Its too much work trying to figure out what TDEE level is good for you if you aren't a strict gym schedule type of person
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If I can eat 2300 calories a day to maintain my goal weight, how can I eat that many calories now to lose weight?

Because you are not your goal weight right now.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    MFP puts most people too low.

MFP does not put nothing. People PUT the amount of weight they want to lose, so if a person choses 2 pounds per week (-1000 calorie), it's that persons choice, it has nothing to do with MFP.

Why blame a simple tool for the way you use it?

It's very tempting to want to lose more quickly, but it's not always the way.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If you are using the TDEE method, you subtract 20% MAX. If you are using the MFP method, they subtract 1000 calories for a two pound per week loss.

MFP also subtracts out exercise calories (using some undisclosed algorithm), which is why it adds them back in when you exercise.