Less than 1lb loss...do you log?

Options
I already know I'm going to get jumped all over for this one lol...

Personally, I don't see the point in logging anything less than a pound, thoughts?

Between water weight, minute scale differences, yadda yadda yadda, I always figure things are a little off anyway. I can see how every fraction gets one closer to their goal, but to account for .2 lbs lost is a little...hmmm...what's the right word? Again, this is STRICTLY my opinion!

Overall I'm less concerned about the numbers anyway and more with progression photos and how my clothes fit.

How do you feel about it??

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have a "set" weigh-in day (like me) and record whatever the number is that day be it up, down or anything in between. So I "log" gains, losses and so forth of all kinds of amounts. MFP will plaster the results on my news feed (I suppose I could change this if I cared), but I'm not logging anything to "log" a .2lb loss-I'm logging it because that was the number on my weigh-in day.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    My scale measures in .5 lb increments and you better believe I will record that .5 lb loss! I worked for it!
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Oh! I didn't even know that was an option!
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    my official weigh in day is friday. and yes i do log my .02 loss. it keeps me going. I dont come accross losing a whole pound a week very often, so my point whatever adds up and keep me going...slowly but surely
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I like to wait for greater losses...today I lost .4 from last time but, I'm not gonna bother. It feels better putting 1lb. Gives me the motivation to keep going.

But I agree, the scale is the least of my concerns. Inches and the way clothes fit are my best gauge.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I have a weekly weigh in and I record regardless of whether it's the same...couple points...pound...half pound...up/down...I record it on that day.
  • TiffanyW1014
    TiffanyW1014 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday.. I know I'm nuts but my OCD won't let me stop lol. I log every gain and every loss no matter what that may be. But hey thats just me and I'm the only one that really cares about it!
  • SMiller074
    SMiller074 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My scale doesn't do decimals... I guess I need a better one!
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Because I still have a long way to go, I'm operating on whole numbers only. I'm sure as I get closer there will come a point where I will start logging every weigh in accurately, but for now I round to the nearest whole number and go with that. My feelings towards weigh ins are that there is always going to be a margin of error, what with everything that can effect it, so I just go with a nice whole number. I go more on BF % than the scale, the scale is just how I can track my progress faster and more easily.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I always round to the nearest pound. And I wait until a loss shows for 2-3 days in a row before I log it.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    All those reasons you just listed could lead to 5lb fluctuations. So, by that logic, I'd say log only 6 lb losses.

I personally log "new lows" and don't stress over numbers higher than that if I know I haven't eaten enough to gain weight. When I was trying to lose weight, I never went more than a week without seeing a new low.
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm eating to lose .5 pounds a week, so yeah.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,063 Member
    Options
    This site takes any decimal increments, I think. I have .2 in some of my weights. It's just the ticker that moves in one pound increments.

I'm even worse. I don't log when I gain. :embarassed:
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    This site takes any decimal increments, I think. I have .2 in some of my weights. It's just the ticker that moves in one pound increments.

I'm even worse. I don't log when I gain. :embarassed:

Hahaha...neither do I!!!
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I only weigh once a week and will log that no matter what the change is.
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday and record it at home, but I only add it to MFP when it's a new low. Since my scale shows changes up to .2 pounds, I sometimes log .2 pounds.

My weight fluctuates about 5 pounds in either direction all the time, which is pretty common. So really, a 1 pound "loss" is just as illusory as a .2 pound "loss". In reality my weight is more of a range. I keep trying to get to a lower range. But I have to pick one number in the range to record on MFP, so that's the one I pick.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I do because now I only have 4 lbs (maximum) to lose, so I log 1/2 and even 1/4 pounds. I don't weigh myself too often though.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I don't because muscle weighs more than fat and I want to make sure that I have lost fat rather than muscle. It's harder to tell which at the lower weights.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I don't because muscle weighs more than fat and I want to make sure that I have lost fat rather than muscle. It's harder to tell which at the lower weights.

A pound of fat weighs the exact same as a pound of muscle. Muscle is more dense and therefore takes up less space than fat. Just like a pound of gold takes up a heck of a lot less space than a pound of feathers. This is why you can keep the same weight or even gain but still lose inches.
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday and record it at home, but I only add it to MFP when it's a new low. Since my scale shows changes up to .2 pounds, I sometimes log .2 pounds.

My weight fluctuates about 5 pounds in either direction all the time, which is pretty common. So really, a 1 pound "loss" is just as illusory as a .2 pound "loss". In reality my weight is more of a range. I keep trying to get to a lower range. But I have to pick one number in the range to record on MFP, so that's the one I pick.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does this! :-)