bmr number

sdwelk11
sdwelk11 Posts: 825
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I just used the BMR tool and I got my number but I am not sure what I am suppose to do with it or even what it means. Can someone explain this to me please. I am so confused and I tried to read some other posts but it just confused me even more.

Thanks

Replies

• mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    it's basically just the number of calories you're using to exist at your current weight. if your number is in the 5000s you're either 8 ft tall 500 lbs and sedentary or your an olympic swimmer. your number is probably below 3000. :-) consuming a calorie amount less than your BMR will lower your weight, which in turn lowers your BMR.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    It is the basic rate the body burns calories for your internal functions (digestion, heartbeat, respiration, and the body repair). It is was is needed to keep you ticking... :bigsmile:
  • sdwelk11
    so does that mean I should eat less than my BMR to lose weight?
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    it's basically just the number of calories you're using to exist at your current weight. if your number is in the 5000s you're either 8 ft tall 500 lbs and sedentary or your an olympic swimmer. your number is probably below 3000. :-) consuming a calorie amount less than your BMR will lower your weight, which in turn lowers your BMR.

tks!!!! what i was wondering!
  • sgsnow79
    sgsnow79 Posts: 15 Member
    I'm sure someone else can answer this better, but I'll give it a go!

Because its a 'rough' estimate of the amount of calories your body needs to just function, this number doesn't include what your body needs to do any other daily activities (ie work, exercise, etc).

For example, my BMR is around 1800. I try to eat around 1500-1600 calories a day...assuming that I don't just lie in bed all day, chances are good that I'm actually burning more like 2000-2200 a day, so that creates a deficit of about 500 calories a day. Add that up over a week? That's a 3500 calorie deficit, or (approx) 1 pound loss...

This website is good about helping you calculate your goals. Use that goals section to figure out what might work for you!

Good luck,
    Sarah
  • sdwelk11
    I'm sure someone else can answer this better, but I'll give it a go!

Because its a 'rough' estimate of the amount of calories your body needs to just function, this number doesn't include what your body needs to do any other daily activities (ie work, exercise, etc).

For example, my BMR is around 1800. I try to eat around 1500-1600 calories a day...assuming that I don't just lie in bed all day, chances are good that I'm actually burning more like 2000-2200 a day, so that creates a deficit of about 500 calories a day. Add that up over a week? That's a 3500 calorie deficit, or (approx) 1 pound loss...

This website is good about helping you calculate your goals. Use that goals section to figure out what might work for you!

Good luck,
    Sarah

Thanks! This finally makes sense to me. I was so confused by all the numbers but what you said makes a lot of sense to me and I think I get it now.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Yes, eat less than the bmr for weight loss or more for weight gain. But after you drop weight, you would need to recalculate your number because it would be less (MFP does this for you automatically when you "weigh in", which is why your calorie goal will down automatically).
    ...this number doesn't include what your body needs to do any other daily activities (ie work, exercise, etc)...

It depends where you calculate your number. On MFP, it asks about lifestyle: sedentary , moderate, active, etc. this is a multiplier in the formula. If your BMR calculator asked for your lifestyle, it includes this number. I've been on other sites that give you what the number is for each level of activity, instead of specifically asking which category you fall under.

HTH!
This discussion has been closed.