Hypothyroidism

Options
2»

Replies

• caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    take your medication every day, and you will be like everybody else as far as losing weight goes.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I have it - but, if you are on medicine I wouldn't think it would be any different then somebody that doesn't have it. you'd lose weight the same.

My doctor actually said that if you're on medication, it's as if you don't have a thyroid problem at all.

I personally think yes and no on this. As long as your levels are good then it's like you don't have it at all, but even medicated your levels can fluctuate. It took quite awhile to get my levels regular and now---5 months later I can tell they are off again. I will get blood work again next month(can't afford before Christmas) but I gurantee my dose will be raised again. You can be on medication and levels not be right yet. You can also have levels in the "normal range" but it may not be normal enough for your body, it may need to be lower or higher for you specifically. Once I started going to an endo instead of my family dr(whom I love) I realized this. Instead of just a generic "okay you are in normal range" the endo really worked with me to find "my" normal.

This, this, a hundred times this. The majority of us appear to be women here (which, medically speaking, we make up the majority of hypothyroid patients); even being treated for thyroid, our hormones will still change over time, including pregnancies, menopause, puberty, continuing hormonal development in early 20s, premenopause, etc... these all affect thyroid as well. Similarly, certain levels of thyroid medication can become too much or too little for your body, when before they were fine. Anecdotally: I was on a higher dose of Levothyroxine for several years to ensure no thyroid tissue grew back... until WHAM, crazy symptoms for several months, weight gain (which turned out to be from cortisol), and I never thought it could be my thyroid because my endo and I had "had it figured out"... until during this time I ended up in the ER with tachycardia, an irregular heartbeat, and a TSH of 0!

I can tell you that getting your thyroid out right in the beginnings of puberty isn't something I'd recommend! :laugh:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I've lost 12 pounds the last 3 weeks with exercise and healthy eating.

You don't have a problem losing weight.....