Energy After Gallbladder Surgery

Options
At the beginning of November, I had my gallbladder removed laparoscopically. Compared to what I've read from other people, my gallbladder pain wasn't too bad. I would have severe pain for an hour or two, but it would only happen once every other month. At it's worse, I had pain 3 times in a week, but that was only one week. The doctor gave me pictures of the gallbladder after the surgery. It was completely full of stones and I had one lodged in a duct. The surgeon was surprised I wasn't in more pain.

The question I had was... Has anyone else had a lot more energy after the surgery? I am starting to suspect that even though I wasn't experiencing pain everyday, it was affecting my overall energy level. After I healed from the surgery, I have been going non-stop. I started a few projects with my kids, completely purged the house of junk (I've been meaning to do this for years), and so on. Has anyone else felt this way?

I'm not complaining by any means! I am just curious if my new energy is due to having my gallbladder removed or something else.

Replies

• slarbina
    Options
    I just had my gallbladder out last week. I only had two episodes of pain before and once removed it was discovered that my gallbladder was 3 times as long as it should have been and a stone the size of a walnut was in it (only 1 stone that I know of) I am really watching what I am eating so I don't end up running to the bathroom all the time but I am still healing, I will let you know about my energy level though.....interesting because before I needed a nap at about 3:30 every day! Maybe it was all the gallbladder!
  • KimAggie04
    KimAggie04 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Wow! I had many stones, but they were all small (looked like gravel). Hopefully you'll feel better soon. I healed pretty quickly from the surgery.
  • slarbina
    Options
    I can say I do have more energy! I have cleaned out cupboard and closets I haven't had the desire to clean in a while. Yesterday 7 loads of laundry washed, dried, folded and put away plus cookies baked and presents wrapped!!!!! More than I had been able to manage in a while!
  • restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have had mine out for over 2 years and still will have pain on my side and will be in the bathroom if I have to much fat. I don't remember how long it took, but it was a couple month( I also was 7 month pregnant at the time).
  • KimAggie04
    KimAggie04 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    slarbina - That's exactly how I feel. I have been cleaning out my entire house. I haven't felt this way in a long time!

1i2m3e - Sorry you still don't feel well. I don't know why it affects us so differently.
  • pbl1966
    pbl1966 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I agree with the extra energy. I had mine ut November 19th and had been suffering for about three months prior. I now realize I was probably being plagued with issues for a lot longer and am now not nearly as tired. Working hard on getting my running fitness back and hope to run a 1/2 marathon February 17th. A weird but good after affect is my hair had been falling out in large amounts before the surgery and totally stopped the day after the surgery. Pesky little organ that gallbladder is!
  • BluenoserChick
    BluenoserChick Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I had mine out the end of October -- Dr. said I had 25+ stones. :-/

As I had my first attack in May, then three others I can remember, I haven't seen any major change in energy once I recovered. I didn't suffer for long with them.

Everyone's different, I imagine.

Glad to see everyone is recovering well.
  • AckieJ
    AckieJ Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Had mine out last two summers ago. I noticed that after I healed I had more energy only because I wasn't in pain anymore. But mine was so bad that he had to make the belly button incision larger and it took almost 4 hours to do a small easy surgery. lol
  • aimeev2
    aimeev2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Our stories are very similar! Had my gallbladder out a few years ago and one of the main things I noticed is how much energy I had afterward. While I was going through being diagnosed, I thought I was depressed because I stopped wanting to do anything or even leave my desk for work. But after finally getting the gallbladder out (after a bad bout in the ER) I felt like myself again. I'm so glad to hear you do too!
  • aimeev2
    aimeev2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have had mine out for over 2 years and still will have pain on my side and will be in the bathroom if I have to much fat. I don't remember how long it took, but it was a couple month( I also was 7 month pregnant at the time).

Forgot to add this to my post. I'm in the unlucky 5% or so with lasting effects from not having a gb any longer. Just watch what you eat fat-wise and digestive enzymes (lipase especially) help if you encounter problems. Good luck!
  • Kitsada
    Kitsada Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I had mine out laproscopically about 5-6 years ago. I wish to hell I could say I had more energy after...lol.

I had only two attacks before the surgery, but they were pretty spectacular, resulting in an emergency room visit, which is not something I do. (I'm generally of the opinion that if I'm not dying, I should not be going to the hospital...)

I could use more energy. Maybe I should go back and ask if they can do it again? :P
  • dowiEFRA
    dowiEFRA Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Everyone Interested in Gallbladders and Energy:

I had mine out 3 days ago and I already feel I have more energy and I am not so tired. I was taking naps in the afternoon. Mine was a dull pain that lasted a few days as far back as 25 years ago. And after a large meal, I would have the right shoulder and back pain which I understand is common with gallbladder disease. I had two stones the size of gum balls (not jaw breakers). One was smooth and one corrosive as if pressure had been put on it by other stones and finally fused into it. I also had adhesions on my gallbladder that affected my stomach, so my very talented surgeon had to be nimble to free the gallbladder and remove it. The pain would go away for months and come back for a few days and then several months would pass without anything. I had been trying to improve my diet over the last 5-10 years and I actually think that helped. My final "attack" about three weeks ago lasted for a week, but I was never doubled-up or experienced lasting intense pain that affects many people. When I had an attack, I could get rid of it by cutting down on the amount of food I ate and drinking a lot of water. During the final attack, I used olive oil and lemon juice to keep it under control until surgery which was done laproscopicaly. I consider myself fortunate and have lost a few more pounds in the meantime eating more carefully. Everyone seems to have some different symptoms and ways to address those symptoms. I'm female and 70.
  • Rebel1212
    Options
    I have been fighting to keep my gallbladder. I was diagnosed in May with 19% function after a Hida Scan. Dx was biliary dyskinesia as far as we can tell no stones, but I hear they are not always visible. I have changed my diet, limit meat to some chicken, egg whites and fish. No fried foods except believe it or not some french fries. My cholesterol has dropped from 252 to 219 last check. When I eat too much fat from avocados or egg whites w/some Parmesan, I get pressure in my throat like I can't breath, but I can. My hair is falling out, I am tired all the time, night sweats, but there has to be something I can to to make it not be so sluggish? I have tried artichoke heart capsules, yarrow tea, beets with lemon and flax seed oil and cider vinegar water after meals and acupuncture. I juice daily, just bought a new nutri bullet to add more greens to my diet. My biggest concern is low protein. I have purchased hemp protein powder to try to increase it. Why do I delay removing the gall bladder, I have heard there is no guarantee of being symptom free afterwards, increased risk of Type II diabetes and not to mention risk of infection from the surgery. I am so torn, your gallbladder is there for a reason, not like the appendix . I would like my hair to stop falling out, and all the symptoms to go away, but...... any suggestions?