For those who go to the gym...

Options
When the new year approaches and all the new gym newbies with all their new resolutions start invading, how do you plan on handling it? I tend to skip the gym altogether which makes me fall off from my own health goals and I don't want to do that this year...

Replies

• flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Adjust your times if needed. I will either go earlier or later to avoid the masses. When the school year started (I'm in a college town) I had to back it up to about 4:30am to beat the crowds. Another time, going at 7am- I was all alone in there. Each gym will be a little different. The management should be able to tell you what the slow times are.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    When the new year approaches and all the new gym newbies with all their new resolutions start invading, how do you plan on handling it? I tend to skip the gym altogether which makes me fall off from my own health goals and I don't want to do that this year...

Why does it concern you if more people come in, yes it's annoying when it gets more crowded but either work out early in the morning or deal wit it
  • mominwi419
    Options
    I just went through this at my gym. They were having a membership drive and were giving everyone who toured a 2 week membership. Made for a very busy couple of months. I just tried to go later on in the evening to avoid the crowds.

I'll probably either go early in the morning or later in the evening come Jan. 1.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I always go early, before it's busy. Regardless of time of year.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I always go early, before it's busy. Regardless of time of year.

^ Yeah, like at 4 a.m., right Jackson?
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I usually go when it's not too busy. As a teacher I finish work earlier than most people so when I go to the gym it's never too crowded. Or I do classes which have a maximum capacity so that's ok too.
  • Ashleyr91
    Options
    I'm already having that problem at my gym. I work a split shift and have NO time for a decent workout in the middle of the day so I have to go at night when I get off.. and I swear everyone in town is there. It's a little irritating but I can't see how it poses a problem unless every single machine is taken and they leave their children or a friend sitting on a machine while not using it just to talk (which happens often).

If the machine you want is taken, take it as an opportunity to try something new, not to just stop going altogether. I always find something to do, and for the people who come just to sit on the machines.. well, I'm too busy working out to bother caring much. But that's a whole new topic altogether.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I just go later.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    If you want to skip the gym for a month or so, do workout videos at home. I'm doing 30-day shred right now.
  • GmeB
    GmeB Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    go as early as you possibly can.I go around 5:00 A:M,then take a short nap,have breakfast,before work.love to just get it out of the way
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    i hang out in the free weight section. No new years people attempt free weights.
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    The good news for those of us who lift is that the new gym folks tend to circulate among the machines and completely steer clear of the free weights. That said, perhaps we should give some thought into banding together with the other regular lifters and agree to make scary faces as we lift in order to keep our space relatively clear. :laugh:
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options

Maybe welcome them in as new members and applaude them for wanting to take the first steps to health.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options

Maybe welcome them in as new members and applaude them for wanting to take the first steps to health.

sounds like a waste of time 99% of them will quit with in the week...
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

Why does it concern you if more people come in, yes it's annoying when it gets more crowded but either work out early in the morning or deal wit it

Really? Because last week, I had to wait 45 minutes for a squat rack. Yeah, I think it concerns me.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    It won't change what I do. I go really early in the morning already so I don't see myself getting up any earlier. I'm hoping it won't have too big of an impact on the weight room. This will be my first year where that's where I spend most of my time. As it is I have to give the guy who is hogging the squat rack dirty looks. :smile: There is plenty of cardio equipment at my gym so I doubt that will be an issue.
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    The noobs aren't going to use the same machines or perform the same exercises that I do. Most noobs will go on the treadmill/elliptical/stationary bike.
  • rousehouse
    rousehouse Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid the busy times when possible, that's all you can really do. I don't blame you for wanting to skip it. That said, your membership dues are the same as everyone else. If you have trouble getting access to equipment, I would consult the gym staff.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine calls those newbies "Resolutionists" - as in, all those people making New Years Resolutions. Cracks me up.

We don't get many resolutionsit at my gym, but we do in the pool. So my gym routine isn't effected, but the pool is small (it's a rehab pool and kept at 92 degrees) so if it gets crowded I can't swim laps. It's always a bit frustrating because the newbies who think they're "working out" are actually just bobbing. I try to give them credit tho - most of them are elderly, so just getting to the pool is a big deal. So I just wait it out, and in a few weeks it will be back to just the regular group.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I am going to start Jillian Michaels 30 day shred at home and do some cold weather jogging outside for the month of January and hit the gym on the weekends when I have more flexibility of the time that I can go.