IBS

Options
My dad has IBS and my parents are bit sure what to do. Dad has several medical issues that restrict his diet and they are looking for any tips and advise they can get.

Replies

• lizmorgan
    Options
    Ouch - IBS can be quite nasty. It's also a very individual condition and what works for some people pes)may not work for others. Unfortunately it's often a case of trying small amounts of various foods and waiting for the unpleasant outcome! Below are foods that I avoid to minimise the pain of IBS:

1. Red meats as these are harder for the body to process than white meats.
    2. Lollies/ sweets
    3. Sweet bscuits
    4. Greasy foods
    5. Rice (all types)
    6. Grains (including grain bread)
    6. Acidic fruit and vegetables such as tomatoes

If you Dad reduces his stress levels, it should really help! Most people with IBS are either highly strung or have high levels of stress.

Hope this is of some help and best of luck to your dad!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    There may be some dieteray recommendations on Healthcastle.com . I have a related (but somewhat different) condition - Crohn's. In my research, I have found that dietary recommendations are often the same for the two conditions. Like the previous poster said - i have found that it really is an individual thing and what works for some doesn't for others.

That being said, here's what works for me:
    Minimizing alcohol
    Minimizing caffeine (I have one cup of coffee a day.... usually no soda, but on occasion will have one)
    Minimizing dairy (cheese in moderation has been fine, occasional ice cream is fine - but I don't do daily milk or yogurt)
    Minimizing (mostly eliminating) fried greasy foods . This is a BIG one. When I do wander back to old habits, my digestive system pays me back.

Using good portion control with meat - and even going meatless during 2-3 dinners a week.

Salmon and baked chicken have been friendly to me. I regularly eat things like english muffins with peanut butter, salads, fresh veggies (baby carrots), non-dairy smoothies, etc. If i'm craving junk food - a turkey sub at Subway or fresco tacos at Taco Bell seem to be okay....... but a quarter pounder with cheese? My intestines riot at the thought!

Also, like the poster above said - stress is a big trigger. It is so easy to head directly for the things on the "minimize" list. I thought they were my comfort foods and they were automatic responses. I never believed that changing my diet would change the way I felt. Once I made these dietary changes and started exercising to reduce stress, I have come to feel like an entirely different person.

Best wishes to your dad!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    This might be a touchy subject to some. Some people don't like to believe about micro-organisms/parasites/worms/viruses.
    You can take care of the symtoms, but you need to get to the source.

Feel free to send me a private message for more info if you like.

You could tell him to see a naturopath, or read up on micro organisms and IBS.

I had a friend who's IBS went away, got cleared, went into remission, (whatever term ) by cleansing herself, she had normal bowel movments, and the symptoms went away.

Some interesting reading.
    http://www.ibstreatmentcenter.com/3_b_4.htm
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Are-the-Symptoms-of-IBS-and-Parasites-Connected?&id=574603
    http://badbugs.org/parasite/irritable_bowel_syndrome.htm
  • resdriver
    Options
    bump
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I suffer from IBS and there are 2 eating plans that has worked wonders for me.

1. The Atkins Diet (Done Phases 1 -4 STRICTING BY THE 2002 EDITION BOOK)

2. The Primal Blue Print (www.marksdailyapple.com)
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I found a really interesting website last night - www.helpforibs.com
    There is a lot of information about what can help ease symptoms - and there is a cookbook / dietary guide - "Eating for IBS". I learned some things about soluble fiber vs. insoluble fiber that seem like they could make a very big difference to an IBS sufferer.

I would encourage you to check it out - or send the info to your dad so he can read more. Hope he's managing well!
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    IBS trigger foods can be different from person to person. Trial and error is really the only way to figure out what to stay away from. Me personally, I can't eat red meat or dairy and I have to watch my fat intake. This is what has worked for me, but I also have peptic ulcer disease, so it might not work for everyone.