Which weight machines should I use?

Options
I am trying to incorporate weights into my cardio routine but I have no idea how to go about it! Do you just pick machines that work the areas you want and start at a low weight?

Replies

• FSL010
    FSL010 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Use free weights, they use more muscle fibers because you are the one who has to balance the weight so your muscles do more work.
    With machines, the machine is balancing the weight for you which is completely unnatural and may cause injury in the long run.

Go to YouTube and search "free weight exercises for women"
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Okay I will do that, thanks :)
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    Use free weights, they use more muscle fibers because you are the one who has to balance the weight so your muscles do more work.
    With machines, the machine is balancing the weight for you which is completely unnatural and may cause injury in the long run.

Go to YouTube and search "free weight exercises for women"

Agreed - also, certain machines guide the weight in an unnatural pattern for the body, so if you tried to transition to free weights later on, it would be difficult and increase your risk of injury.

As the only girl on the "big boys" side of the gym - LIFT FREE WEIGHTS!!!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Try this machine

squatrack.jpg
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Another vote for free weights here. Squats, lunges, dead lifts, bench press, over head press, upright row, pullups, dips. All great places to start. Concentrate on form and then add weight.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Try this machine

squatrack.jpg

Urgh. Not cool. I do not want to see the evil thing until tomorrow at the gym thank you very much.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Try this machine

squatrack.jpg

I don't know why curling machines are so big and complicated like that.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Try this machine

squatrack.jpg

Urgh. Not cool. I do not want to see the evil thing until tomorrow at the gym thank you very much.

You're doing bicep curls tomorrow? Cool, me too!
  • MikeRuz1
    Options
    Free weights and barbells would be my first choice and I would HIGHLY recommend them, however if you do find yourself using weight machines STAY AWAY from the leg abductor and adductor machines
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I think I will get some weights and start trying them at home at first so I don't look like an idiot lol
  • FSL010
    FSL010 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think I will get some weights and start trying them at home at first so I don't look like an idiot lol

Yea, they are cheap so you can do that...