gaining weight after exercising more & eating less

Options
Can someone explain why I am gaining weight (5lbs. to be exact) if I am eating less than 1200 calories a day and working out 4-5 days a week? I am a vegetarian who eats a pretty healthy diet devoid of meat and almost all processed foods (with the exception of chips once in awhile). I have never worked out this hard in my life. I run 3.5 miles at least 3-4 times a week, I walk a mile to warm up and cool down, and I also do the Tracy Anderson Mat workout using 1.5 weights four times a week. Using this app to tabulate my caloric intake I am consistently below 1,200 on my workout days and usually eat 1500 calories on my non-work out days. Can someone please provide me with an explanation because my motivation now is lacking. I slowly lost 20lbs, but I am now up 5lbs. This leads me at a 135lb weight at 5'2''. I am desperate to hear some expert advice. Please help. This is so frustrating. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Replies

• AliceRabbit13
    AliceRabbit13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    1. Numbers on a scale are just numbers. They are, at best, a vague indicator of how you are doing.
    2. TAKE MEASUREMENTS! This far more accurate, especially as you gain dense muscle and lose the fluff.
    3. Your clothes are a good measuring tool - better than scales and more satisfying. Are your clothes fitting better than they did? More loose? Can you get into that pair of jeans that you had when you were at a good weight?
    4. You might be throwing yourself into starvation mode - when the body has too much of a deficit, it thinks it is in trouble and will try and hold onto each calorie in case it is needed. Your body doesn't know the diffference between,say, hard winter living in a cave vs hard core attempts at losing weight. It doesn't know when it's going to get its next meal, even though your mind does.
    5. Don't get discouraged! It isn't about weight, it's about being healthy, it's about feeling good, it's about taking control of your own life's choices instead of the other way around. It is NOT about what some crappy scale says.

Good luck :)
  • ShaunShaunphenomenon
    Options
    I'm not an expert in this area, but if you are losing that much weight and you are not taking in that many calories and you are doing any type of strength training then you are putting on muscle and not putting on weight rather than what you would think. I am not sure if you're aware of this but the body as a natural 'weight' which it goes between in the run of a day. I usually weigh in at 260-264 or there about depending.

I would also start to ensure that you're not taking in too much protein as this can have adverse effects as well. I hope this helps in some way.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this workout schedule? If it is recent, it may be due to water retention and will go away once your body is used to the exercise.
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    1. Numbers on a scale are just numbers. They are, at best, a vague indicator of how you are doing.
    2. TAKE MEASUREMENTS! This far more accurate, especially as you gain dense muscle and lose the fluff.
    3. Your clothes are a good measuring tool - better than scales and more satisfying. Are your clothes fitting better than they did? More loose? Can you get into that pair of jeans that you had when you were at a good weight?
    4. You might be throwing yourself into starvation mode - when the body has too much of a deficit, it thinks it is in trouble and will try and hold onto each calorie in case it is needed. Your body doesn't know the diffference between,say, hard winter living in a cave vs hard core attempts at losing weight. It doesn't know when it's going to get its next meal, even though your mind does.
    5. Don't get discouraged! It isn't about weight, it's about being healthy, it's about feeling good, it's about taking control of your own life's choices instead of the other way around. It is NOT about what some crappy scale says.

Good luck :)

Ok, I've been in the same situation as well, I bumped up my calories like everyone else said to. (about 300ish) and keep exercising but I've now gained 2.5 lbs and my measurements are staying exactly the same..how long do you let this go before you crawl back to 1300 calories a day with your tail between your legs? My body composition looks the same as it did as well, I don't see any difference. Pretty bummed right now.
  • Telugammayi87
    Telugammayi87 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Eaaatttt morreee...
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Oh honey you are not eating enough, you can not sustain weight loss with your regime.

You need to up your calories to meet your exercise.

This is the short answer!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    too many carbs, too little protein? also probably not eating enough calories if you're working out heavily.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I'm only saying this because this is what they always say when I go to the doctor with any kind of ailment: Any chance you could be pregnant? LOL. Sorry but they always ask that. Oh that was to surromom since she mentioned no change in composition.

RE OP: Have you taken actual measurements?
  • Telugammayi87
    Telugammayi87 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'll add... I was working out 6 days per week about 3 hours per day (cardio and strength...) and eating 1200 calories. I would gain 5, lose 5 and repeat. Talk about frustrating. I upped my calories to 2000... YES 2000... and lost 5lbs the first week... and have been losing since... Actually when I'm going to the gym I eat about 2600 calories per day and STILL lose. I'm 5'8 and 190lb.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    Eat more [increase your calories]....especially protein [80-100g /day or preferably 1g protein per 1lb lean body mass]....

Step away from the scale and take your measurements to measure progress...

You have entered starvation mode and the body is freaking out and holding on to any calories you give it....
  • Unbruisedpeach
    Unbruisedpeach Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bumb
  • iamyari
    Options
    So totally on the same boat here.....haven't gained but 1-2 lbs I just want to drop my final 20 lbs. seriously help!:sad: i have even been considering getting a personal trainer/gym membership

i allow my calories to fluctuate 1200-2300, i eat vegan diet workout 5-6 times a week
  • Hadunka
    Hadunka Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Eat more...if you log everything you eat and your exercises than your diary shows you the calories you can eat...in no case only 1200 kcal daily. I eat about 2200 kcal daily. And I´m losing...
  • Katemarie34
    Katemarie34 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You sound proud of eating below 1200 calories a day ON your work out day? you should be eating more. Bump up your calories, switch your work out around (if you've been doing the same thing for awhile) and you should see results. Scales are a nasty thing too- try weighing every couple of weeks, and rely on your clothes like other people have been saying as well.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    too many carbs, too little protein? also probably not eating enough calories if you're working out heavily.

^^^ This! Your body thinks you're starving because your calorie deficit is too big. When this happens, your body slows it's metabolism and stores what calories you are eating as fat. You need to up your calories. As a vegetarian, are you getting alternative sources of protein? A lot of vegetarians I know are protein deficient and lack muscle..muscle is necessary to burn the fat.
  • ilikecatz123
    Options
    You could be gaining muscle, Muscle weighs a lot more than fat.
  • missegarcia
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I do feel more relieved and motivated.
  • missegarcia
    Options
    Thank you so much for responding. I greatly appreciate it.
  • missegarcia
    Options
    Great advice. Thank you!