Hello

Options
I'm not new here but I was always a lurker. Over the past week I have been reading the success stories and thought maybe if I start to post it will help me. I am 60 y/o female. My weight is currently at 190. I have been walking all summer but I never lose any weight. I've been yo yo dieting for years and I think it's probably taken it's toll on my metabolism. I am currently following a lower carb diet at 1400 calories and lifting weights along with cardio. Cardio is something I hate. I get winded and feel like I'm not making any progress. Just wanted to pop in and say hello.

Mary Ann

Replies

• JPBinCO
    JPBinCO Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Greetings!
    I'm a formerly thin and fit person who has found herself about 25 pounds over normal weight. I've been stuck at this weight for about 5 years now, and I'm ready to do something about it. My husband has been using myfitnesspal.com and runtastic.com on the iPhone, and encouraged me to try, too. He is down THIRTY pounds! I am so proud of him, and it made me think that YEAH, I can do this too! So, I'm down FOUR pounds already, and I feel motivated and empowered. I wasn't eating much, but what I was eating was the wrong types of foods (in terms of calories and in making me feel full and/or good). I have totally reeducated myself -- and I used to be well-informed about healthy food! I'm 47 years old, we have six kids, and I've had some health issues the past decade (fortunately unrelated to weight/size), but those things caused me to be more sedentary, and thus, gain the weight. I broke my ankle 2x, had it rebuilt, and had brain surgery. I'm feeling healthy and on my way to being fit again. :) Hope to find more encouragement here, too! :D
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi Mary Ann,
    I have only been on Mfp for a few weeks so I will leave the more knowledgeable members to give advice.
    I am 56 yrs old and you are welcome to add me for support on this journey.
  • odirish
    odirish Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I am loggin everything I eat. I'm far from perfect. Do you all belong to any groups?
    For the record, I had brain surgery too.

Mary Ann
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few groups out there for us 50 + of which I have joined a few. Search under groups to find any you like the look of. Sorry to hear about your health problems. Life is never what we planned, but we just have to keep going. Good luck with your journey on MFP
  • JPBinCO
    JPBinCO Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Really! What kind of brain surgery did you have, Mary Ann? I had a cavernous hemangioma in my right frontal lobe -- basically a mass of tangled arteries, and I'd had multiple bleeds over my lifetime. The one bleed that landed me in the hospital (February '09) was when we discovered that I HAD this. It was like having a stroke -- slurred speech, blurred vision, lack of coordination....Surgery was April '09. I feel great -- should never recur. Very grateful it was not cancer! My little great nephew had brain surgery at 7 years old in spring '11 -- for a golfball sized tumor on his pineal gland. CRAZY. Not related to mine at all, but I do believe my own surgery was a great preparation for what he had to go through....