working out and eating healthy but gained weight?

Options
Okay, so just so I can kinda catch you guys up to speed on my weight loss I am a 5'10 female and about a year ago I weighed 210. And as of two days ago I weighed 156. So total I have lost 54 pounds! and I am totally happy! I constantly eat healthy and work out roughly 5 days a week. I eat 1200 calories a day and burn normally 450 at the gym. When I weighed myself this morning I have gained 2 pounds! how is that possible? Is it muscle? water weight? or actual fat?

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Did you eat a lot of salt in the last few days?
    Is your period due?
    Have you changed or added a new exercise routine/program?

Those are just a few of the reasons why you may be holding onto some water weight, unless you've eaten over 7000 calories every day for the last 2-3 days.

Personally, a small gain like that wouldn't worry me too much. If that trend continued week after week then I'd worry.
  • Tan43
    Tan43 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate all the time. Drives me nuts!!!:explode: To keep track of if this weight increase is actual fat gain I turn to my measurements. Most times the weight gain on the scale does not match any increase in measurments. I put this down to possible water retention or my scales are possessed and just want to keep messing with me:laugh:
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    8 fl oz. of water is half a pound. Drink 2 cans worth of water, and boom, 2 lbs.

I agree, don't worry about it. I've seen my weight shift 10 lbs in 2 days. It's the overall trend that counts.
  • gabriela182
    Options
    I guess i didn't think of that. No period... maybe its the salt and the work outs... i have been lifting more. Haha i for sure haven't eaten 7000 in the past two days! Thanks for the help!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. Its all water that is the result of either high sodium intake or that your muscles retain water after each weight lifting session. But the gain is only temporary & it will go away in a few days. Drink more water especially after ahigh sodium intake to counteract the water retention by flushing out excess sodium. Also eating foods rich in potassium helps counteract the sodium.

You're actually eating way too little to gain anything, muscle or fat. 1200 calories is even considered too little for a 5'2, 120 lb woman like me (my BMR alone is already >1320).
  • gabriela182
    Options
    @LaMujerMasBon - what is it that you recommend that I do? I wanna get down to one 150, maintain then to tone.
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    @LaMujerMasBon - what is it that you recommend that I do? I wanna get down to one 150, maintain then to tone.

If you know that you are in a caloric deficit you are losing weight. What the scale or measurements say in the short term is irrelevant. The scale, what I do is this. I weight myself naked on my weight day. All other days that I weight myself I do it clothed. That way, it will cover up any minor fluctuations.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    This is what I'm following. I'm noticing the difference in how my clothes fit and I lost 5 lbs in the first 15 days:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12