Greetings from Virginia

Options
Hello, everyone!

I was introduced to MyFitnessPal by a colleague, and I've been using it since early September. So far, so good.

I'm married with two kids, ages 4 and 2. I just turned 31. Last year I had this grand concept that I'd try to lose 30 pounds by the time I turned 30. Yep, didn't happen. I just couldn't get motivated.

I taught in the local high school for 7 years. Shortly after I started I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and high cholesterol. The amount of stress from work was insane, and I went from about 180 to 210 over the course of those 7 years. I think that was mainly due to stress eating. I was already a little heavier than I wanted to be, and that was mostly due to the lingering freshman fifteen from my college days.

Fortunately, I was offered a new position as a history professor at the local community college. My wife and I also bought a new home. I figured this was the perfect time to start anew, and try to give weight loss another try. My new job is far less stressful than my old one, and I think that definitely helps, but the app I use on my iPhone and iPad is probably more helpful. I set a goal to get down to 170. So far I've lost 26 pounds, and I still have 14 more to go before reevaluating my goals.

Because of my cholesterol and blood pressure, I've been seeing my doctor every three months for blood work and consultations. I started this program right after my last visit, so I'm really anxious to go back and see what differences I've made. I'm hoping I can get my cholesterol in check, and hopefully my blood pressure too.

I honestly didn't realize there were forums attached to the site until recently, so I figured I'd pop on, say hello, and try to offer encouragement to anyone that needs it. I'm still a little shocked at how easy it's been to use the app and make a difference, and I'm looking forward to continued success.

It's great to be here!
-Matt

Replies

• niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss success, new job, and new home from another Virginian. I'm sure you'll continue to have success.