Possible mental block?! help meeee!

Options
Ugh. So I've got a problem and I just can't figure it out. I'm hoping maybe someone else has been through the same and can give me some advice. I've lost (and gained) the same 30-60lbs 3 or 4 times. Each time I cross the 200lb mark (into onederland!) I sabotage myself somehow. I tell myself it's not happening, but it totally is, I know it is but I don't stop it. I think about it a lot, but I do nothing to change it. WTF! I know that all I have to do is get back in the game but for some reason, I just won't let myself cross into the 100s... Then I'll stop going to the gym, eating crap again and then I gain it all back and start over again.

Help?

Replies

• citizencrp
    citizencrp Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. My limit is 225 lbs. I have lost weight a million times to get to 225 and then I just stop. Once or twice I may have gotten closer to 220, but usually it's 225 and I "take a break" or I hit a plateau and give up or something...

I've been hovering between 224 and 225 for 2 weeks now. I think this weekend I might get below that, but I am so worried. Even though I am more emotionally and mentally prepared this time, I am genuinely nervous. I don't know how to help you, but I thought I'd share that I'm in the same boat.
    I'm just trying to focus on drinking enough water these next few days to get past this hump and trying to keep food and exercise status quo, since it's worked so far.
    right? right. it's gotta be right. good luck to both of us...we can do it! go team.
  • MommyRobot
    MommyRobot Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. My limit is 225 lbs. I have lost weight a million times to get to 225 and then I just stop. Once or twice I may have gotten closer to 220, but usually it's 225 and I "take a break" or I hit a plateau and give up or something...

I've been hovering between 224 and 225 for 2 weeks now. I think this weekend I might get below that, but I am so worried. Even though I am more emotionally and mentally prepared this time, I am genuinely nervous. I don't know how to help you, but I thought I'd share that I'm in the same boat.
    I'm just trying to focus on drinking enough water these next few days to get past this hump and trying to keep food and exercise status quo, since it's worked so far.
    right? right. it's gotta be right. good luck to both of us...we can do it! go team.

It's so frustrating! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one!! Right now, probably back around 215 after hitting that 199 mark and losing it a few months ago...So hopefully I can get it together without gaining it all back again!
  • Tykk
    Tykk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem, also just around 225.

I think for me it's something really simple. Around that weight, I start being able to buy "normal" clothes in normal shops. Above that weight, I have to go to specialty stores. This is such a big goal, that I think I mentally start to think "mission accomplished", and start slipping.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I have been the same way about the 150's for the last six months. It's like the magic number. I could continue losing weight easily, but then I just stop and eat/drink more calories than normal. I don't go too crazy, but I think it's just a personal thing we both have to overcome. I think I am scared of finally seeing myself as a new person. I hold onto my fat as if it's something to hide behind. I use it as an excuse at times to not do things, go places, meet people, have the attention on me in a group, etc. I also sometimes feel that I don't deserve to be a fit, happy person. It's a deep rooted self esteem issue for me. I really hope you overcome this. You may just need to sit back and do some serious self analyzing to figure out what you're scared of. It has to be fear of some kind. I wish the best
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    For me, my whole way of thinking had to change before any results were evident (after the initial loss). I heard everybody say that it didn't truly click until it became a lifestyle change and not a "diet". But how do you do that? Well I learned that in order to eat right I have to exercise. If I don't exercise I don't make myself eat well. So, I started going to boot camp three days a week at 5am. I always used "no time" as my excuse when in reality I needed to make time. Not a morning person but the only time of the day that I will consistently get my workout in. No, I don't like getting up but I like how it is transforming my body so it is worth it.

In came in steps for me. And a few of those steps were the initial loss and gain of the same pounds over and over again, ending up a little bit higher on the scale each time. But this time is different and I can feel it. I finally hit that point where I am no longer doing this to lose weight (although that was the initial motivation and still helps motivate me). I am doing this because I am addicted to the way exercise makes me feel. I am enjoying showing myself and my family how to eat healthy, whole foods. This is no longer a diet for me. This is the rest of my life and if I lose some weight along the way, well even better!! One step in getting to this point mentally was a 5 month plateau where I didn't give up and kept telling myself that giving up would get me nowhere. I had to persevere and make this a part of my life. I decided I was ready to commit and do whatever it took to be fit and healthy. Yes, I have my bad days or weeks. But I get over it, pick myself back up and move on. I have a long ways to go but am enjoying the journey. Now I still go to boot camp but also run about 30 miles a week, enjoy playing WITH my kids, and am training for my first half marathon in February.

Make this time your LAST time! You got this!
  • dtf88
    dtf88 Posts: 53
    Options
    What kind of diet are/were you on to lose weight you have lost and then gained back? How difficult was the diet to follow? How difficult was your training program to follow? I think a lot of people feel like they need to suffer in order to diet properly, when really for most people it should be a slow process that allows the body to adapt to a change in food intake and exercise.

A lot of dieters choose to cut out certain foods because they are labeled as "junk", rather than looking at the macro/micro nutrients of the food and determining whether or not eating that food would aid in reaching their overall macros or hurt their overall macros +other nutrients. Many people choose to eat "clean" foods only when they diet. "Clean" foods, just like "junk" foods are made up of macros + micros, "clean" foods just make it much easier to hit overall numbers. For example, most people label chicken breast as "clean", chicken breast makes it easy to hit your protein numbers because chicken breast has very little fat and almost no carbs.

Basically, I would approach losing weight by tracking your food intake for a week or so and experimenting. See how many calories your body needs to lose weight and try not to make the diet hard. Eat "junk" food in moderation and fit it into your diet rather than binging on what they call cheat days.

If you want to read a book on dieting, I would recommend A guide to flexible dieting http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/a-guide-to-flexible-dieting
  • xmizlynnax
    xmizlynnax Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's all about mindset. No matter how you eat/exercise/count calories... it will only stay off if you keep in mind that eating healthy and being fit is a lifestyle. You may intake a bit less calories while you're trying to lose weight, but as you lose weight (and hopefully gain/maintain muscle), your metabolism will be readjusting itself.

You need to think in the long term, for the long long haul. Everyday, this is your lifestyle. And there's plenty of ways to make it an enjoyable, awesome, delicious, healthy way of life.

Best of luck!!!! You can do it.