Adding Muscle...!!

Options
Anyone have a general Idea on how quickly I can expect to see results lifting weights....I always seem to quit after only 2 weeks. But if I know i will not see results for 3 to 4 months than I will pursue it. Generally am only doing max of 4 different machines 3 days a week. working different set of muscles each time. Should I lift every day?

Replies

• moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You should really stick to a program that you do 2-3 times a week. I like to do a full body split (ABA/BAB). This is a good beginner program:

Workout A

Squats:3 sets of 8-10 reps.
    2 minutes rest between sets.
    Bench Press
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.
    Rows
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.
    Workout B

Deadlifts
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.
    Pull-Ups (or Lat Pull-Downs)
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.
    Overhead Shoulder Press
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Lift as heavy as you can with good form. Your last couple of reps should be difficult. Even if you stick to it only a couple of weeks you should already feel stronger, but to build muscle you have to work at it consistently. I always notice some results within a couple of weeks.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Firstly, no - you will never see tangible results that quickly. You know it will take at least a few months for meaningful change (that's why you wrote it).

So my advice would be to identify the REAL reason you keep quitting and get over it. Stop making excuses and get back in the gym.

PS: please dont waste time with a bunch of machines. Get your hands on some free weights (and a trainer or someone to teach you decent form and set up a program for you).

Three days a week is fine for most people. A good full body program (eg squats, bench, overhead press and rows) will suit most people and help you develop strength at a decent rate - each exercise 3 sets of 8-10 reps as a guide).

Get to it!
  • RyanWilson1993
    RyanWilson1993 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Yeah you're giving up too easily man it takes months to years too see significant results a good program for me was Y3T I'd suggest looking it up on bodybuilding.com
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    1) Lift with proper form 2) eat right 3) get plenty of rest. 4) repeat for life. you'll start feeling stronger in no time, you'll see an increase in your lifts fairly quickly and for me anyway, it took a good 5 months or so before i started seeing real results. You just have to do it and keep doing it, even when you don't get the physical results you are looking for. They will eventually come, but you have to be patient. And enjoy your lifting. It makes all the difference in the world when you actually enjoy doing it.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Anyone have a general Idea on how quickly I can expect to see results lifting weights....I always seem to quit after only 2 weeks. But if I know i will not see results for 3 to 4 months than I will pursue it. Generally am only doing max of 4 different machines 3 days a week. working different set of muscles each time. Should I lift every day?
    Sad to say but there is no quick way to add muscle, in fact adding muscle is much much harder than losing weight. Giving up easily = NO RESULTS.

As for your main concern, to add muscle first is you have to eat 200-300 calories above your maintenance level plus continue to do progressive overload. You can't gain muscle on a deficit unless you are morbidly obese or a beginner (which then the gain will stop later on once you get past the beginner stage) aim a protein intake that is a bit higher than 1 gram per pound of body weight (or goal body weight if you are severely overweight or obese). 1 gram is only minimum to maintain muscle mass.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Your best case as a relative novice is 2 pounds of muscle gain per month, and that is with a perfect routine and diet. After lifting for a few months, this will pretty quickly drop to maybe 1-1.5 lbs/month of muscle gain.

It is about a billion times easier to lose fat than to gain muscle.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,629 Member
    Options
    Sad to say but there is no quick way to add muscle, in fact adding muscle is much much harder than losing weight. Giving up easily = NO RESULTS.

As for your main concern, to add muscle first is you have to eat 200-300 calories above your maintenance level plus continue to do progressive overload. You can't gain muscle on a deficit unless you are morbidly obese or a beginner (which then the gain will stop later on once you get past the beginner stage) aim a protein intake that is a bit higher than 1 gram per pound of body weight (or goal body weight if you are severely overweight or obese). 1 gram is only minimum to maintain muscle mass.
    THIS. Adding muscle means adding mass and you can't swap fat and turn it into muscle. Muscle is gained through overload and hypertrophy and that requires time and correct nutrition along with calorie surplus.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

It sounds as if you have not lifted much, in which case you should so a full body workout 3 x a week (look into Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5 x 5). You should have at least 1 days rest between muscle groups.

re results - it depends what you mean by that. Strength should progress from week to week. Seeing muscle - it depends on how much you eat and how much body fat you have when you start.

Main suggestion however, stop quitting.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Your best case as a relative novice is 2 pounds of muscle gain per month, and that is with a perfect routine and diet. After lifting for a few months, this will pretty quickly drop to maybe 1-1.5 lbs/month of muscle gain.

It is about a billion times easier to lose fat than to gain muscle.

^^yep.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to add.
  • Gunsentry
    Gunsentry Posts: 121 Member
    Options

It takes months\years to see muscle mass increases but weeks to see your muscles when you cut away the fat.

If you want muscle mass you need to train at least 3 times per week heavy.

BUT you will not be able to train heavy if you do not have the strength to lift.

You need a foundation to work from and as such Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5 would be a good base to get going, 12 months of this and you will have a routine and begin to see changes in your body composition within 3 months by following the programme as described. Including eating to gain muscle mass and eat I mean a high surplus to your base.

The 5x5 programme will also burn off your fat as a bonus due to the exercises and your body recomposing its self.

Gaining muscle is a slow slow process much much much longer then loosing fat.so you need to be focused and stick to the programme.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    u need to know the basics man , first get your diet right
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Your diet comes into play too

but also its not just something you put your toe in the water to test the temp and when its not what you expect you walk away

Find program..... stick to it..... eat right....stop quiting