Would bulking/cutting be good for me? *PIC HEAVY*

Options

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 121lbs roughly, havent weighed properly in almost 2 weeks. So this is pretty much what I look like.

Here is my opinion:

Get an average estimate on your TDEE and reduce it by ~25%. Eat at this value daily.

Set your intake values to the following:

Protein: 100g
    Fat: 50g
    remainder in carbs

Lift heavy with a full body program done 3 times per week. Cardio should be personal preference, probably 2-4/week either on separate days or post-training.

Check out NROLFW, SS, SL5x5, All pros for examples.

I have a body media, so my TDEE varies depending on how active I am. It's not very high :( Normally it's about 1900. I was eating between 1600-1700 & was still losing weight & stuff. The holidays have really thrown me off though & now I just wanna eat more than normal, though still not at a surplus.
    I always aim for 100g+ protein. I think today I had 121g. Fats was 67g and carbs were 174g. Had 1743 cals. App says my ratio was 39/34/27. Is that good?

Ratios are somewhat ambiguous. Cover protein and fat minimums and consume enough carbs to train with adequate intensity and stay at your calorie goal and you win. If you can do so with the above values then keep doing it.

I had chocolate & cookies 2day though, really not proud of my eating lately (since Thanksgiving). I need to get on it & stop it with the gluten.
    What is wrong with what I'm doing now? Just curious. I'm always wanting to learn.

I think you MAY get better results doing a full body program vs what you've listed. Beyond that, I think you should maintain a small deficit before bulking (and you'll get differing opinions on this -- ultimately you need to choose)

Do you have an intolerance to gluten?
    What kind of cardio do you suggest? Is walking ok? I did cardio for a LONG time & I'm SO tired of it. Not my fav thing to do lol

I suggest tailoring your cardio to personal preference, anywhere from zero to about 4 days per week. If you do not enjoy cardio, don't do it, and reduce calories to compensate for the removal of cardio.

At some point, if your TDEE drops low enough, cardio may become very intelligent as you may get into a position that reducing intake gets tough. (In other words -- smaller females can get to a point that adding activity to create the deficit is much more feasible than reducing food intake further)

Doing benchpress, overhead press, bent over rows, squats & deadlifts 3 times a week is ok schedule? 5X5? What about squatting position? I was recently told to try squatting low, like powerlifters. Is that a good way? I just like getting opinions.
    I was told the more BF% ur are, the more fat you will gain when u bulk. So I've been pretty uneasy ab bulking because I feel my BF% is too high & cant handle getting any fatter. Is that true?
    Yes, I have a sensitivity to gluten. Makes my stomach hurt & bloat like the devil, some things make it feel like it will burst open. Yet I still eat it sometimes since thanksgiving :| It's hard to stay away from since it's in EVERYTHING
    It's seems like you're being told a lot of stuff. What others have said, is pretty sound advice. There is nothing wrong with squatting 3x a week. Programs like Starting Strength and 5x5 are great (notice I didn't mention New Rules....). However, those programs are going to require you to be eating near your maintenance or TDEE. Personally *I* believe a -20% drop is too drastic at the start. There is nothing wrong with starting at -10% and working from there.
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    first and foremost....get your bf% checked...it's good to know where you are at!

second of all...I would suggest increasing your cardio a bit, while also increasing your weights a bit....that will help to burn fat and gain muscle...which is what you want to do!

third of all...be sure to switch up your routines on occassion...it's good to keep the body guessing :)

good luck and congrats on your progress so far!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Doing benchpress, overhead press, bent over rows, squats & deadlifts 3 times a week is ok schedule?

Generally, yes. Now you may not be able to do all of the above 3/week, but you can probably squat 3/week and do some sort of an A/B workout like

A:
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Bench
    Accessory lift

B:
    Squat
    Bent Rows
    OHP
    Accessory lift

And structure your week to alternate, so you've got ABA, BAB, ABA over weeks.
    5X5?

5x5 is a program name, Stronglifts.

What about squatting position? I was recently told to try squatting low, like powerlifters. Is that a good way? I just like getting opinions.

There are various methods for squatting but I'd recommend squatting at least to parallel. Hip joint should go at least as low as the knee.

I was told the more BF% ur are, the more fat you will gain when u bulk. So I've been pretty uneasy ab bulking because I feel my BF% is too high & cant handle getting any fatter. Is that true?

No, it's not true. In fact when you get quite lean one could make the argument that it's the opposite (diet down to extreme leanness and eat at a small surplus and I would expect fat gain to be more preferential).

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/initial-body-fat-and-body-composition-changes.html

That being said, I would really base your decision to bulk or cut mostly on the mirror and how you feel about your body. Starting a bulk at 25% bodyfat for example, isn't a good idea generally speaking.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Doing benchpress, overhead press, bent over rows, squats & deadlifts 3 times a week is ok schedule?

Generally, yes. Now you may not be able to do all of the above 3/week, but you can probably squat 3/week and do some sort of an A/B workout like

A:
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Bench
    Accessory lift

B:
    Squat
    Bent Rows
    OHP
    Accessory lift

5X5?

What about squatting position? I was recently told to try squatting low, like powerlifters. Is that a good way? I just like getting opinions.

There are various methods for squatting but I'd recommend squatting at least to parallel. Hip joint should go at least as low as the knee.

No, it's not true. In fact when you get quite lean one could make the argument that it's the opposite (diet down to extreme leanness and eat at a small surplus and I would expect fat gain to be more preferential).

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/initial-body-fat-and-body-composition-changes.html

That being said, I would really base your decision to bulk or cut mostly on the mirror and how you feel about your body. Starting a bulk at 25% bodyfat for example, isn't a good idea generally speaking.

I used to do them all 3 times a week. I did 3 sets, 7-10 reps each. That ok? Or should I do it the way you suggested?
    Book marking the site. Will def read. Gonna finish this final project 1st.
    Yeah....I think I'm around 26% or was when I did a 3 point caliper test. No idea if it was right or not.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

A:
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Bench
    Accessory lift

B:
    Squat
    Bent Rows
    OHP
    Accessory lift

5X5?

I used to do them all 3 times a week. I did 3 sets, 7-10 reps each. That ok? Or should I do it the way you suggested?
    Yeah....I think I'm around 26% or was when I did a 3 point caliper test. No idea if it was right or not.

If you feel you can recover, and you are getting stronger (which you should be, over time), then I think for now you're probably fine sticking to it. At some point you may have an issue recovering with that schedule, but if all of them are progressing and you feel fine I don't see a reason not to do it that way. That's just my opinion though, see what others have to say about it.

I think your estimation of 26% is reasonable. I estimated you slightly under but I think saying "mid 20's" is a reasonable estimation.
  • dorkyhippy
    Options
    My opinion: Listen to yourself.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 121lbs roughly, havent weighed properly in almost 2 weeks. So this is pretty much what I look like.

IMAG1090-1.jpg
    IMAG1145-1.jpg
    IMAG1146-1.jpg
    60daysliftingback1.jpg
    60daysliftingfront-1-1.jpg
    60daysliftingside-1-1.jpg

I have no idea what my body fat % is.
    This is my exercise schedule. One of my lifter friends on here put it 2gether for me & then I added in the walking just to make myself more active cuz I stay at home all day.

10sets 3 reps each at 90% max
    Monday: Deadlifts + a mile walk
    Tuesday: Benchpress + a mile walk
    Wed: Squat
    Thurs: Deadlifts + a mile walk
    Fri: Benchpress + a mile walk
    Sat: Squats + a mile walk
    Sunday: Pull ups. + a mile walk

I'm eating a deficit right now. It can be anywhere between 400 cal or 50 cal deficit. I have a body media, so I use that to know my TDEE for the day.
    So my question is, what should I do? I'm really struggling with this. Should I eat my deficit? Should I eat maintenance? Should I bulk & cut, cuz I obviously need more muscle. Help!

I wish I could help, but I have no idea. I really appreciate the questions for I am wondering the same thing. Thank you for posting. :flowerforyou:
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    "It's seems like you're being told a lot of stuff. What others have said, is pretty sound advice. There is nothing wrong with squatting 3x a week. Programs like Starting Strength and 5x5 are great (notice I didn't mention New Rules....). However, those programs are going to require you to be eating near your maintenance or TDEE. Personally *I* believe a -20% drop is too drastic at the start. There is nothing wrong with starting at -10% and working from there." Sorry my phone sucks, trying to quote and then ask why you made a point to not mention new rules of lifting?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a small calorie deficit also with the macros Sidesteel suggested as minimums. When you feel hungrier than normal eat more up to your maintenance. It will slow down the cutting but allow you a range of calories when you need them. I like short sessions of intense cardio 10-30 minutes a few times a week but its not necessary if you dont enjoy it. The benefits can be a little more conditioning which I feel helps with the heavy training and a few extra cal when you need them.

Try the training your friend suggested if you like but at least read the Strong Lifts 5x5 (since its free).
  • shorty35565
    Options

A:
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Bench
    Accessory lift

B:
    Squat
    Bent Rows
    OHP
    Accessory lift

5X5?

If you feel you can recover, and you are getting stronger (which you should be, over time), then I think for now you're probably fine sticking to it. At some point you may have an issue recovering with that schedule, but if all of them are progressing and you feel fine I don't see a reason not to do it that way. That's just my opinion though, see what others have to say about it.

I think your estimation of 26% is reasonable. I estimated you slightly under but I think saying "mid 20's" is a reasonable estimation.

In 2 months I was up 10lbs on all the exercises, but squats & deadlifts, I was upe 15-20lbs with them. Is that good progress?
    It sorta makes my day that you thought I was under, even if only slightly.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    My recommendation - continue cutting for the same reasons indicated by SideSteel and ChrisDavey . I would also highly recommend a full body workout 3 x a week that comprises compound lifts, such as StrongLifts as has already been suggested. So, in other words, my suggestions are pretty redundant as they have already been made... ..:wink:
  • shorty35565
    Options
    My recommendation - continue cutting for the same reasons indicated by SideSteel and ChrisDavey . I would also highly recommend a full body workout 3 x a week that comprises compound lifts, such as StrongLifts as has already been suggested. So, in other words, my suggestions are pretty redundant as they have already been made... ..:wink:

No they're not! If more people say it, then it must be the right thing to do. It gives more confirmation.
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I've had a slight deficit (1500-2500 kcals under TDEE on a weekly basis), and had 3-4 full body workouts per week - and it's done wonders. I used to walk but my body didn't change - kettlebells are amazing for full body workouts and you get a bit of cardio in too with swinging.

Don't listen to "toning" advices. Just my own experience :ohwell:
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

Agreed. I vote for the cut.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    And just double checking that you know to up the weights by 2.5kg for upper body or 5kg for lower body movements when you reach all of the desired sets and reps ie. 5x5. This is called progressive resistance and is the foundation of any beginners program.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

No they're not! If more people say it, then it must be the right thing to do. It gives more confirmation.

Ditto everything Sidesteel and ChrisDavey said and Sarah endorsed....

My honest opinion is that you do need to build some muscle. You look like the textbook definition of someone who is what they refer to as skinny-fat. You are at a very good weight for your height on the charts, and probably look smokin hot fully dressed, but under the clothes you can see there isn't much muscle to speak of, and everything looks kind of smooth and "soft" instead of firm and defined. This is caused by a higher body fat percentage.

Don't be surprised if, by the time you are "done" and have some hot muscles, that you may weigh MORE than you do now. I weigh 124 and I am only 5'2", muscle is dense. To get a "ripped" look you'll probably end up a little over 130...
    I look better now at 124 than I did at 108...
  • AntWrig
    Options

My honest opinion is that you do need to build some muscle. You look like the textbook definition of someone who is what they refer to as skinny-fat. You are at a very good weight for your height on the charts, and probably look smokin hot fully dressed, but under the clothes you can see there isn't much muscle to speak of, and everything looks kind of smooth and "soft" instead of firm and defined. This is caused by a higher body fat percentage.

Don't be surprised if, by the time you are "done" and have some hot muscles, that you may weigh MORE than you do now. I weigh 124 and I am only 5'2", muscle is dense. To get a "ripped" look you'll probably end up a little over 130...
    She won't be building anything if she is in a deficit.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What everyone said regarding Stronglifts 5x5. I love it!

My only change to the advice above would be to eat 10-15% below TDEE instead of 20%. You're already at good weight and have a nice shape. You don't want to lose a lot of pounds, just tweak things a bit.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

She won't be building anything if she is in a deficit.

She will get noob gains and lose fat at a small deficit (I would do 10-15% instead of 20 if it were me). Once she stops seeing noob gains, it will be time to raise calories to maintenance plus a few hundred extra calories on lifting days.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    What everyone said regarding Stronglifts 5x5. I love it!

My only change to the advice above would be to eat 10-15% below TDEE instead of 20%. You're already at good weight and have a nice shape. You don't want to lose a lot of pounds, just tweak things a bit.
    Better yet, try eating at TDEE for a while. She needs to get a foundation on that frame. When you cut down in weight, you have to cut down to something.