Night Eating Problem

Options
I am always hungry right before bedtime - does anyone have any tips to curb my late night eating!?

Replies

• NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Save some calories to eat at night perhaps?
  • sunshinefrei
    Options
    I sometimes eat oatmeal with almond milk before bedtime!!
  • GO_NadZ_xO
    GO_NadZ_xO Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too..
    I dont know what to do about it, so i just eat something..
    Except, i always seem to crave the worst things. Like yesterday, I had KFC at 10.30 pm! Bad Nadine!
  • nikongirl29
    nikongirl29 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I do save some calories because I know I'll be hungry - but I feel like it's stalling my weight loss eating so late at night. Plus - am I hungry BECAUSE I'm saving calories haha
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I used to have that problem BAD, but i solved it by eating more during the day, AND making sure that i eat micro-nutrient rich food everyday.
  • EllaPaigeNora
    Options
    Have a filling dinner with a good amount of protein. Depending on when you go to bed, set it up so that you eat dinner about 2 or 2 1/2 hours before bed so you won't be as hungry. But even if you still get hungry, learn to ignore it. I know that sounds bad but you can get used to it after awhile. Though the hunger is avoidable if you have a filling dinner of protein and veggies.
  • johnnyhodge
    johnnyhodge Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yeah me too. i deal with this big time. I dont know if I'm really hungrier at night or my will power is just depleted.
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem really bad but a few things helped me:

1. make sure you drink a TON of water. If you are slightly dehydrated, your body sometimes fools you into craving food.

2. Cut down on sugar, at least that helped me. I used to eat alot of sweets, that puts your body on a cycle of highs and lows and can make you crave food at night to keep your level of sugar up.

3. Around 10 or 10:30, or whatever time is best for you near bed time, brush your teeth. This helps me, its like a clue to say: "closing time".

4. I also make sure I have around 150-200 cal saved up to use for a small snack after dinner, that keeps me from feeling totally deprived :)
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I think it's totally fine to have a snack before bed. Why not?

I try to pay attention to the times I get hungry, and then tailor my plan to that. I make sure to have snacks for when I'm hungry, and save a little bit for after dinner/before bed because I usually want something then. :)
  • Heatherdawnxoxo
    Heatherdawnxoxo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yeah me too. i deal with this big time. I dont know if I'm really hungrier at night or my will power is just depleted.

i too have this problem more than i care to admit. i usually have dinner around 730, and then dont get to bed until around midnight or so ...and for some reason i'm always craving the worst things after i have dinner. And since I'm out on the road with my job, its always soooo easy to just stop and grab a chocolate bar or something and i feel like i have no willpower left to stop it. So as of this week i have implemented a 'snack basket' that sits in my fridge. So along with my weekly meal planning (i only plan dinner), I have started to plan between 400-500 calories a day in snacks, each portioned out to be about 100-150cal each. I make up my snacks for 2 days at a time. And when I'm feeling snacky - to the fridge i go. And I only eat out of the basket. And I always reserve the best snack for last, and have it about 930-10pm.
    So far it's been going well and I would definitely suggest giving it a try. Here's where the idea came from:
    http://pinterest.com/pin/150729918750317867/
  • danimal5867
    Options
    I keep a supply of Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches in the freezer. Just 150 calories with 2mg fat, 4 mg protein and 3mg fiber. Makes for a nice bedtime treat and they are reasonably healthy.
  • puddy29
    Options
    go to bed that's what i do
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I usually drink a glass of water and then wait a half hour. If I'm still hungry after that, I eat. A lot of times the "hunger" goes away with water and time, because (for me at least) it's not about actual hunger, but more about just wanting to eat. Also, find some good healthy snacks or desert substitutes. I love having a cup or so of fresh berries with some skim milk. It works for my sweet tooth and also gives me fiber and protein along with vitamins :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I eat all the way up to bedtime. As long as you aren't exceeding your calorie intake, it should be fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • brittuhnay
    brittuhnay Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I drink a couple of glasses of water, or I brush my teeth. I won't want to ruin my nice clean teeth with food :P and water is very filling. So it helps me hold off till breakfast.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem until I realised that I just prefer to eat more later on in the day, and that's fine. Now, I either skip breakfast or have a light 1-200 calorie breakfast (depending on what I'm doing that day), have a light lunch, have a large dinner usually after 7 pm, and still have calories left over for snacking before I go to bed. Works for me.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I do save some calories because I know I'll be hungry - but I feel like it's stalling my weight loss eating so late at night. Plus - am I hungry BECAUSE I'm saving calories haha
    It's not stalling your weight loss. It doesn't matter for weight loss what time you eat. If you're finding that you are uncomfortably hungry every day, no matter how you portion out your calories - it's possible that you are restricting your intake too severely. Just a thought.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Save some calories to eat at night perhaps?

This!! I take a snack to bed every night whether it be a couple Apples. Yogurt, Jello Pudding, etc.. something..... I am a type 2 diabetic and learned along time ago I could not make it til morning without something..... Oh yea and there is no set time you have to eat just make sure your hitting your caloric intake and macro's for the day and the rest will take care of itself. Best of Luck
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I am always hungry right before bedtime - does anyone have any tips to curb my late night eating!?

Yes, go to an Indian buffet for dinner like I did today (or what works for you). Tasty food, but I'm so stuffed it'll probably be well into next week before my stomach has released all of its pressure and I can once again set my eyes on a meal table, lol. Not that I ate all that much really, being at 1300 net for months can do that to you.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I am the Terror that flaps in the night!
    I am the peanut butter you lick off the spoon.
    I am your LATE NIGHT SNACK!