IBS/Diverticular Disease?

Anyone hear have either? I have both. Had one bad attack of diverticulitis about 18 months ago, and I think I had a very mild attack about a week ago (didn't go to doctor, thought it might just be IBS).

Thank goodness for tracking....otherwise I might not have figured out what triggered it. I discovered this awesome soup at Safeway - Fajita and Corn soup - and have been having it almost everyday for 2 weeks (seriously, its that good) I rarely eat corn because I can't digest it properly but somehow I failed to realize that it was in this soup! Usually its things like popcorn and peanuts that have that skin still on that make me sick but I haven't had either of those in a very long time.

Well...8 days after my "attack", I'm finally feeling better, but I haven't tracked all week, and I've fallen off the wagon. You'd think that being sick you'd be more careful about what you eat, but I reach for comfort foods (pasta) and I feel like I have gained 100 pounds (I'm very bloated still) and I've been trying trying trying to get back on track for two days but I keep reaching for the wrong things.

Just putting this out there to make myself accountable. I know that once I have 2 days of clean eating under my belt, I'll be good...but getting there is a struggle.

Replies

• I know it is hard to get back to clean eating after you have been sick. I had flu last week and just now feel like I am getting back in the swing of clean eating. I think eating has everything to do with how you physically feel so take your time and you will get back to it!! My 81 year old mother had Diverticulitis. So I know it can be challenging to keep track of what you can have and what you can't. It took me a year to get Mom to quit eating peanuts when I moved in 4 years ago.
    Have a great night!!
  • lauriem1966
    lauriem1966 Posts: 134 Member
    Eating properly definitely makes a difference! I found that eating less wheat helps too....shame that's what I turn to when I'm sick. I have to find a healthy alternative comfort food.
  • I have IBS (and as a 22 year old, trust me, I'm just kind of like, WTF intestines?) and I never really understood it. As far as my dietary habits go, my younger sister likes to say that I "eat nothing but trees." I keep a pretty healthy diet, but what also helps--and what might be good for you too--is to drink metimucil every morning. You can get the generic or the Citrical or whatever. I find it really helps to balance everything out. And when my intestines are balanced, I find that I make better choices in food and exercise.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    I have had IBS since I was a teen.. In early 40s now.. had it for years before I ever knew there was a name for it. For me, no particular food sets it off.. I will have bouts for days or maybe a once or twice a week then nothing for months.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    I have IBS (there are lots of threads and groups on this). I can control the pain pretty well by taking psyllium husk, an all-natural fiber supplement, every day. I still get bloated and flatulent though and I don't understand why. I have no idea what foods trigger it - I've tried to eliminate different foods but can't figure it out.
  • obored1
    obored1 Posts: 32 Member
    maybe your sensitive to gluten (wheat) you could try doing a gluten free diet for 2 weeks and see if that helps. Also getting the good bacteria back in balance can help digestive disorders, can get supplements or get from yogurt and other foods.

Hope you feel better soon
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    IBS with nausea and sometimes vomiting when it flares up really badly - I have to track my foods just to make sure I eat enough calories. I have no appetite when I'm sick, and since I'm already under my goal weight, I need MFP to keep from losing too much. :sick:
  • lauriem1966
    lauriem1966 Posts: 134 Member
    Thanks for all the replies!

I haven't had a bad bout of the IBS in years...I stopped drinking milk, really lowered my intake of wheat products (but since starting WW and MFP I have been eating more bread and pasta, just because its "allowed")...I was pretty low carb before and I think I need to stick to that :(