Salt intake

Options
I have recently move to a warm, tropical climate and am keen to ensure I keep my salt levels healthy. Should I consider salt pills? Or is there a good food you could recommend? I don't add much salt to food and anything that is naturally salty is so bad for me!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Your worried you may not be getting enough salt, but the salt in natural food is bad for you....is that what your saying? No probably not. You must be referring to processed foods where salt is added, right? Why would a processed food that is higher in salt be bad by default? Anyway, add salt to your food if your worried.
  • JraeL91
    Options
    I have recently move to a warm, tropical climate and am keen to ensure I keep my salt levels healthy. Should I consider salt pills? Or is there a good food you could recommend? I don't add much salt to food and anything that is naturally salty is so bad for me!

What are salt pills? Sodium is in most foods naturally, but too much sodium intake is unhealthy. Jillian Michaels says "sodium can raise your blood pressure and slow down your metabolism." "When you eat sodium, the excess sodium is deposited just beneath the skin where it attracts water, which is retained in your cells. This makes you look puffy and feel bloated. Not only that, but when water is retained in your cells, it impedes the fat-burning process and slows you metabolism."
  • cloudsteps
    Options
    It depends on how much you sweat and what's your pre and post exercise routine. it may be more effective and better on your blood pressure to eat normally, and replenish only when you sweat a lot. e.g., if you're having an intense outdoor workout, replenish with a sports drink.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    It's not just sodium you lose when you sweat you lose a whole range of minerals, sodium balances in the body with potassium so ensure you get plenty of this not just table salt. Oily fish and other seafoods are natural sources of salt and you should be eating these regularly anyway. There are different minerals in many wholefoods: fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, dairy, lean meat.