Ugh, chinese food?

Options
My husband and I were invited to hi grandmother's house for dinner tonight, we're ordering CHinese food. I'm not a big fan, it always makes my tummy hurt afterwards, but I have to eat something! Can someone share with me which chinese food items are big nonos and which ones would be ok, calorie-wise?

Replies

• seanhudd
    Options
    Not sure of the exact calorie counts, but I know that Fried rice and the deep-fried foods with breading (almond chicken, fried shrimp, etc.) are no good. ANYTHING sweet and sour is no good either from a high calorie, sugar and saturated fat standpoint. I beleive your best bet may be something like chicken (or beef) and broccoli, steamed vegetables. You may want to also look up the nutritional values in something that is made sezuan style.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the noodle dishes which happen to be my favorite, but also are extremely high in calories. Most places should have "healthier" menu choices with the option of getting steamed dishes. If so, I suggest a nice healthy dish of steamed chicken & veggies with the sauce on the side, and a measured portion of rice (3/4 cup = 150 calories).
  • sazziecee
    Options
    When I did weight watchers, the lowest pointed items were

Hot and Sour soup as a starter (Chicken and Sweetcorn was also OK but slightly higher calories)

Chicken and Pineapple or Chicken chop suey/ Prawn chop suey as a main. Or anything that comes with mixed vegetables (some menus will have chicken and mixed veg for example). Black bean sauce isn't too bad on the calorie front either.

Boiled/steamed rice as an accompaniment, but try not to eat too much of it as high in cals (on WW an average carton was 6.5 points so I would eat half)

You could also get a side order of just mixed steamed veg. Or even go for a vegetarian main course in fact

As before avoid anything fried etc, no wontons, spring rolls, spare ribs, prawn toast, prawn crackers, fried rice, fried noodles, anything in batter etc

Chinese is my favourite food, mmmm!
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options

Chicken and Pineapple or Chicken chop suey/ Prawn chop suey as a main. Or anything that comes with mixed vegetables (some menus will have chicken and mixed veg for example). Black bean sauce isn't too bad on the calorie front either.

Chinese is my favourite food, mmmm!

Isn't black bean sauce high in sodium though? Chinese is my favorite too and I LOVE black bean sauce!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    I always get steamed shrimp or chicken with broccoli, with sauce on the side... then you can use as much or little of it as you want.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies,

I vow to do my very best to stay within my calories today. :)

I did an extra long run and had a sensible breakfast and lunch to make up for my expected splurge. :flowerforyou: