going to the grocery store

EmilyStrick
EmilyStrick Posts: 267
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
so i'm going to the grocery store today...actually one of my favorite activities (whatever, don't make fun of me)!
i have seen a lot of people talk about great, healthy, low-cal food stuffs on here, and wanted to post my list of new things i want to try. let me know if i should add anything to it!

laughing cow cheese (because i love quesadillas)
tofu shirataki noodles (because life sucks without pad thai)
vitatops (do i need a reason?)

any more suggestions?

Replies

• kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    load up on fresh fruits and veggies- you can't get any healthier than that.
    lots of proteins like eggs, nuts, lean meats, fish, and dairy (or dairy subs)
    whole grain brown rice (which actually tastes better than white rice)
    olive oil for cooking

Grocery shopping is my favourite too. I could spend hours in there :laugh:
  • load up on fresh fruits and veggies- you can't get any healthier than that.
    lots of proteins like eggs, nuts, lean meats, fish, and dairy (or dairy subs)
    whole grain brown rice (which actually tastes better than white rice)
    olive oil for cooking

Grocery shopping is my favourite too. I could spend hours in there :laugh:

those items are a given and always the first in my shopping cart!!!! i have just seen a lot of people list items like the ones i listed that are healthy, low-cal alternatives to the things that made us fat in the first place, but are hard to live without!!!! whole foods are always the basis of my diet, i just like the fun replacements and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions of what to try beyond what i listed!!!

glad to know there's another dork like me that likes the grocery store!!!
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    so i'm going to the grocery store today...actually one of my favorite activities (whatever, don't make fun of me)!
    i have seen a lot of people talk about great, healthy, low-cal food stuffs on here, and wanted to post my list of new things i want to try. let me know if i should add anything to it!

laughing cow cheese (because i love quesadillas)
    tofu shirataki noodles (because life sucks without pad thai)
    vitatops (do i need a reason?)

any more suggestions?

somebody's been reading Hungry Girl? ;)

I love grocery shopping, too. I think it's because it's the one time I can spend money and not feel bad about it!

A friend of mine was telling me about this new "hybrid" avocado that has 1/3 of the fat and 1/3 of the calories. I know, I know, avocados have good fat but if you're running low on calories for the day and craving guacamole, that could be a good solution!

I love the Village Hearth Light breads, half the cals of regular!
    I use plain canned tomato sauce (mixed with my own spices) and either l-f/f-f cottage cheese or a Laughing Cow wedge spread on either a whole wheat english muffin or a low carb/high fiber tortilla to make mini-pizzas, like suggested in Hungry Girl.
    My new favorite treat is Almond Joy Pieces, they're like M&Ms except loaded! You get 23 for 100 cals. Not good if you can't resist chocolates once they're in the house though ;).
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,317 Member
    Check out Hodgen Mills for healthier alternatives to boxed meals and pastas. Load up on the whole grain/wheat grains. Beans..kidney, black, garbonzo, etc. are great protein alternatives too.
  • boca burgers are good. high in sodium but low in calories. 70 calories in a burger. theyre great for when youre having a cookout but you dont want to over do the cals. and i use soy cheddar cheese slices. they taste like regular cheddar but with much fewer calories. i dont know where you shop but i find lots of healthy options at safeway. :)
    happy shopping! i'm grocery shopping today too. i always look forward to it. only problem I have is i end up buying so much more than i should because i always shop when im hungry! ah! haha but at least theyre healthy foods now!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Instead of whole grain rice substitute quinoa. Flax meal and lentils
  • mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
    i use soy cheddar cheese slices. they taste like regular cheddar but with much fewer calories. i dont know where you shop but i find lots of healthy options at safeway. :)

I'm gonna have to try those soy cheese slices. I love cheddar cheese, and I've really been limiting it to treat status lately.
    Safeway is where I shop as well, and they really have a massive selection of healthy stuff.

Also...I LOVE Vitatops!!! I'm too cheap to buy them except once in a while as a treat, but they are super good!
This discussion has been closed.