how accurate is HRM for calorie estimates?

Options
Is it accurate for circuit training & HIIT? I am wondering only because there are large flucuations in the heart rate between intervals...

and I'm not sure if I can put this into words right, but after you get more fit and you have more endurance.. your max heart rate would increase steadily over time? Wouldn't that effect your cal burn estimates?

My fitness pals caloric estimates seem somewhat sketchy - Im SURELY not burning 100 calories doing "light moderate effort" housecleaning(I would never log this lol)... I am just scared of eating my exercise cals back! I am not losing anymore weight and wondering what the problem is :)

Replies

• LJP1982
    LJP1982 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the HRM. The Polar FT4 and FT7 models have you input your height, weight, gender, heart rate max, and target zone, so it's able to produce a much more accurate estimate of calories burned than a HRM that simply goes by your heart rate. Know what I mean? :smile:
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    about as accurate as you're going to get, I think!
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Mines takes into consideration my height, weight, age, MHR, etc. I don't usually eat back my exercise calories unless i am in the gym a long time and lifting extremely heavy that day so it doesn't really matter to me how much i burn. I just like to see the numbers.

Nothing is ever completely accurate, but i can imagine it is more accurate than MFP's Database.