Heart rate?

Options
My HR monitor beeps when I go below or above my target HR (I don't know how it calculates my target HR - based on my age and weight, I guess?). Is there any danger of going above my target HR? Wouldn't I be burning more calories/fat if I go over?

Replies

• bettersusan
    bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I don't wear a HRM but I would like to get one. The exercise equipment at the gym moniters me when I workout though and I went over 170 (the "danger zone") all the time when I first started. I did pay attention to it, AND I paid attention to my body. I continued exercising though if I felt like I was pushing myself, but not in distress. After working out for a while now, it almost never gets up too high. I feel GREAT most of the time when I am working out.

How much over are you? I went as much as 182-183 I think. Rememer, you are getting you heart in shape too, not just your body.

Good luck.

Susan
  • bettersusan
    bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    254666.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • thendrick
    thendrick Posts: 102 Member
    Options

How much over are you? I went as much as 182-183 I think. Rememer, you are getting you heart in shape too, not just your body.

Good luck.

Susan

It says my target is 135 - 148. When I'm on the treadmill, I walk to warm up and then run in 5 minute increments (2 minute walking breaks in between). I only get up to about 154 and I feel ok with that. Same with on the elliptical - my HR is about 151.
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    Here's a good explanation of target heart rate and a chart that shows the differences by age in target heart rate and maximum heart rate.

http://www.cchs.net/health/health-info/docs/0900/0984.asp?index=5508

I have a Mio Sport Select HRM wristwatch that doesn't use a chest strap and I love it!

It came as part of the Mio Beat package which included a pedometer with built-in fm radio & ear buds. This makes it really fun when I go walking by myself. I can listen to music, count my steps & distance, as well as track my calories burned, time, and take my heart rate along the way. Only cost about $40 on sale from Big 5 Sports.