Any suggestions for food which may help boost my metabolism?

Options
anything?! aslong as its healthy and natural lol

ive been eating a lot more fruit and veg recently but haven't seen an improvement

Replies

• BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    eat more and exercise
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I don't believe there's any individual food that's going to have any significant thermic effect. Your best bet is to eat a reasonably protein dense diet, get lots of whole and nutrient dense foods in your diet, eat the appropriate total calories for your goals and do some resistance training.

But the whole idea that you should eat a bunch of hot sauce or lemons or (insert food here) isn't really substantial.
  • nusheenh
    Options
    I don't believe there's any individual food that's going to have any significant thermic effect. Your best bet is to eat a reasonably protein dense diet, get lots of whole and nutrient dense foods in your diet, eat the appropriate total calories for your goals and do some resistance training.

But the whole idea that you should eat a bunch of hot sauce or lemons or (insert food here) isn't really substantial.

Oh ok, thank you :)
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    According to published research: calcium from dairy products, long chain omega-3s from oily fish, certain antioxidants in berries/ citrus/ green tea extract, protein, possibly the fats in coconut. Protein is thermic, others likely manipulate enzymes or hormones. But don't expect miracles the effects are modest at best, you can't add these foods to a diet that is poor quality or very over/ under in calories and expect results.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    ive been eating a lot more fruit and veg recently but haven't seen an improvement

It takes a while to see a change. Nothing is instant. :) Be patient. If you haven't seen change in 6-8 weeks, then consider looking over your diet again. It's a lifestyle change, not a "let's blow off a few lbs before holiday."
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I don't think there are any specific foods that will boost your metabolism... it's all about having a healthy diet overall. I think when people have problems with their metabolism it's generally because you're not eating enough - maybe the question you should be asking is if you're eating enough to have a healthy metabolism. I'd just try and make sure you're getting enough protein/fat, do your exercise (especially strength training), and give it time.

There may be foods that people suggest, and if they make you feel good, that's cool, but I think that there's no real answer. Good luck!
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I honestly believe that I "reset" my metabolism by switching to all whole/natural foods for a month. I still eat 90% clean.. but for a solid month I only ate whole foods. Absolutely nothing processed. Basically, if it has no ingredients - you can eat it. Like an egg - great! A piece of toast - nope! Look at all the ingredients printed on your bread loaf bag. The more ingredients it has, the less healthy it is.
  • SaffSaad
    Options
    I don't think there are any specific foods that will boost your metabolism... it's all about having a healthy diet overall. I think when people have problems with their metabolism it's generally because you're not eating enough - maybe the question you should be asking is if you're eating enough to have a healthy metabolism. I'd just try and make sure you're getting enough protein/fat, do your exercise (especially strength training), and give it time.

There may be foods that people suggest, and if they make you feel good, that's cool, but I think that there's no real answer. Good luck!

This. Eating three/four meals a days with strength training helped boost my metabolism.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah! More muscle definitely = faster metabolism!
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    Green tea!
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options

THIS. There is so much BS out there from "gurus" who claim "fat burning" and "high metabolism" foods or eating a "timed" way is the way to go.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

THIS. There is so much BS out there from "gurus" who claim "fat burning" and "high metabolism" foods or eating a "timed" way is the way to go.

IDEA Fitness member

Quoting for truth.

OP, it seems like that you're grasping at straws here since you were told on another thread that the diet/meal replacement "superdrug" shakes you were using weren't going to be any more effective than a healthy diet. So, now, you want miracle foods because a miracle product isn't going to work? There's no reason for any of this - you just need to moderate your intake, make decent choices, and allow yourself to indulge in some of the things you want. And be willing to lose weight slowly. Making a life style change is what makes the weight loss sustainable. You're young, so it's hard to see the big picture....but wouldn't you rather lose the weight and keep it off rather than having to diet every year for the next decade or two?
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Exercise.

Build muscle.

Both help with metabolism.
  • fattybumclaire
    fattybumclaire Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Eating chillies is said to help - but obviously not if you combine it with high calorie takeaway curries lol.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Eating chillies is said to help - but obviously not if you combine it with high calorie takeaway curries lol.

The issue is that the effects (IIRC) that spices have on thermogenesis is so minimal that it's not worth doing unless you enjoy eating those spices. You'd have a greater thermic effect looking for the remote under the couch cushions.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    building muscle is the best thing you can do for your metabolism
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    To improve your metabolism, as in burn more calories throughout the day...

Protein. Pure protein. Of the three: protein, fat, carbohydrates, it takes significantly more energy to process the protein than it does fats or carbohydrates.

But, changing your body composition through strength training is probably your better bet (which by chance requires increased protein intake too!).
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

The issue is that the effects (IIRC) that spices have on thermogenesis is so minimal that it's not worth doing unless you enjoy eating those spices. You'd have a greater thermic effect looking for the remote under the couch cushions.

Thanks for this.
    New plan for the new year:
    1. Eat more chilies
    2. Hide remote under couch cushions
    3. 10% BF by Valentines day!!!!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Quoting for truth.

OP, it seems like that you're grasping at straws here since you were told on another thread that the diet/meal replacement "superdrug" shakes you were using weren't going to be any more effective than a healthy diet. So, now, you want miracle foods because a miracle product isn't going to work? There's no reason for any of this - you just need to moderate your intake, make decent choices, and allow yourself to indulge in some of the things you want. And be willing to lose weight slowly. Making a life style change is what makes the weight loss sustainable. You're young, so it's hard to see the big picture....but wouldn't you rather lose the weight and keep it off rather than having to diet every year for the next decade or two?

^^agreed