Fitbit Advice?

Options
13»

Replies

• JohnMessmer
    Options
    It is a great pedometer, and they do a good job on motivating you via the information that is available on the Fitbit site. With that being said, I will not buy another, because I believe the money would be better spent on a good HRM. While it is nice to know how many steps you have taken, and to try to pass your previous records, in the end I want to know how many calories I have burned not just how far I have walked/run/stairs climbed. So I would recommend getting a Heart Rate Monitor that will track your caloric burn on Every Exercise that you do rather than a Fitbit that will simply estimate your calories burned when walking or running.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    It is a great pedometer, and they do a good job on motivating you via the information that is available on the Fitbit site. With that being said, I will not buy another, because I believe the money would be better spent on a good HRM. While it is nice to know how many steps you have taken, and to try to pass your previous records, in the end I want to know how many calories I have burned not just how far I have walked/run/stairs climbed. So I would recommend getting a Heart Rate Monitor that will track your caloric burn on Every Exercise that you do rather than a Fitbit that will simply estimate your calories burned when walking or running.

They are different things. A fitbit will measure your daily activity and a HRM will be better for e exercise. Lots of people have both.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I've discovered while its not 100% accurate to the distance on my GPS its REALLY close.

Have you recently adjusted your calibration on it? when I dialed it in, I was within 1/100th of a mile most of the time as compared to the gps

Every month or so, I would warm up and run a mile or so and then hit the button and run an exact mile on a track... divide the number of steps into 5280 and you'll be right on.

No, I'll get around to it eventually. I have a Polar RC3 GPS watch for my training. Fitbit just comes along for the ride so I don't care if its dead on. 8)
  • barbi1281
    Options
    its not worth the money. just use this site and log exercise, spend the money you will save on xmas.

xxx

Is this your opinion based on use or just economics? I'm done Christmas shopping and I just got a relatively nice Christmas bonus so this is my present to myself if I get it. I currently use an app on my iPhone but it's (1) not very accurate, (2) draining the crap out of my battery and (3) not feasible in most of my work attire. It's hard to track on here what I walk since I have my level put as sedentary but some days I walk back and forth like crazy because of copy/print needs at work but trying to quantify that is ridiculous and time consuming.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    If you do a search, you will find loads of posts on this. Majority of people love it.
  • Mindochka
    Mindochka Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE mine. It is such a motivator to get steps in and burn calories and it syncs with MFP. It is like my phone, always with me!! Never leave home without it....

This about sums up my thoughts too. :)
  • tiggersstar
    tiggersstar Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    yes I have a fitbit, I got it ealier this year. I wear it every day, as it cost so dam much, I have to get my moneys worth! but it doesnt really do anything special that I couldnt have gained from using a cheap step counter and this site. I got it for myself to try and motivate me when I hit a slump, but I cant say it has.

x