New

clementine72
clementine72 Posts: 5
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
Starting something like this is so hard because I always fail. I am a 44 year old woman who is 5'3' and about 290 lbs. I don't even know how to begin this all over again. Several years ago I lost 80lbs and felt great but I guess I got scared and gained all of the weight back and now I have to start again. I really don't want to but I know I have to. So how do you start something that you don't really want to do. I love to eat and I don't know how to learn to love good foods instead of fattening, delicious foods...I bought a Wii to exercise but it was so hard that I quit after 3 uses. I feel like such a complete failure, which I know is what will be my downfall...

So, this is where I start...does anyone know how to put one foot in front of another so I can begin my journey to being healthy?

Replies

• Hi there, unfortunately it is never easy to start and get yourself into the right mindset for this journey, but it is worth it. Don't wait until you end up with health issues, like I did. I started at 299 lbs, after being diagnosed with diabetes (type 2), and now I am determined to get the weight off before I have any permanent damage. I am only 38, so I have a long life ahead of me if I get on track now! I hope for you that you will be able to get that motivation and would love to be a friend to you during this.
    For myself, I learned about the glycemic index and glycemic load for a healthier way of eating, and so far ( 4 weeks in), I haven't even felt hungry. There is a lot of information on the internet and there are a lot of recipes that are very tasty and enjoyable made from healthy foods.
    Anyway, good luck, keep your head up, you can do this!
    :flowerforyou:
  • It is difficult to modivate youself to do something that you don't really want to do. I would sugest that you start by making a list of all of the benefits to loosing weight and then do some visualization of each of the benefits. See if you can get yourself excited about the idea. This site is great because it gives you a place to track your progress as well as to journal about whatever is on your mind, and it has a great network of supportive people.
  • Thank you so much...I would gladly accept your friendship during my journey. I am reading about so many people just like me and I know that I will get the motivation I need by reading about how others struggle and then triumph over this devastating disease...I would love to know where you got your information about the glycemic index. I am carb addicted and will need to get myself through that if I am going to be successful...Thank you...:happy:
  • Yes, I am loving this website already...so many people who are just like me and are being successful...you make a very good suggestion and I will do this. Maybe if I see on paper what the benefits are, I will want to change for real. I want to love to live, not love to eat and I know I will be successful with people like you helping me through. Thank you ...:flowerforyou:
  • BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Well you took the first step already. It comes down to what you want out of life. You can still eat the food you love, you will just learn from using this tool how to do it in moderation. I still eat about anything I want, but I try to make sure that if it is something I really shouldn't be eating that I really want it. For instance, I wanted a dairy queen blizzard so bad. I waited about 2 weeks of wanting it, then decided I should go get one otherwise I will go way overboard. I looked at the nutritional info in the food bank, saw what was within the calories that I had left (that I would actually eat) I bought it, came home, sat down and enjoyed it. Now, I'm good, not wanting it anymore.

This has also lead me to try different things. For instance, I'm in love with a pizza that I normally would not have bought (thin crust, no sauce just an olive oil base), but it is a better choice then say Chicago Style sausage pizza. It is the little things.

I hope that you stay with this for you and that it works because you want it to. Good luck and happy living!
  • jonas
    jonas Posts: 1 Member
    So being new and starting over I'm sure is a challenge, but you will feel better. After just the first 5% loss you will feel more energy and notice a difference. That is when you have to start moving. get up do extra dishes I am trying to just do 30 mins more house chores a day and it help anything to get you moving makes a difference. Also check in here this site is full of other just like you and I who are normal folks just trying to change for the better. it is really encouraging. I really like to check in when I have a bad weight in. It helps to see that everyone has ups and downs that is life so don't give up. that is the main thing. maybe try the Wii again after you've had a little success with just watching your intake. it will become fun I promise. Good luck!!
This discussion has been closed.