"Plateau"

Options
I went to the Dr. yesterday and they confirmed that I have only lost 2 lbs in almost 2 months. The nurse told me that my body was in a "plateau" and EVENTUALLY I would start loosing again. I started doing Zumba last week and I'm taking ACE appetite suppressants. Does anyone have any ideas about how to get over the "plateau"?

Replies

• cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    If you are losing weight, you aren't in a plateau. My weight loss goal is 1 pound a month, or 2 pounds in 2 months. I am not in a plateau. Typically a plateau is characterized by NO weight loss or no changes in body composition even though you are trying.
    If you are wanting to lose more weight, you will need to re-evaluate your calorie goals and exercise and there are a lot of factors that come into play.
    I don't know how much you have to lose, but at your current rate, that will be 12 pounds in a year.
  • Dagoth
    Dagoth Posts: 172
    Options
    1 pound per month? what.
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I find whenever I hit a plateau for about a month, generally I will increase my calorie intake and the weight will start coming off again.... I would definitely not take appetite suppressants... if your body is hungry, feed it!!!
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I would like to see your food and exercise diary if you would open it...it would help with any suggestions.
  • carla1958
    Options
    I know it is frustrating but if you keep logging your calories and exercise and aim for a calorie deficit you will lose weight. Just keep going is my advice and try not to focus on the numbers as much as the process.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Do you log your food? Try eating less. Or more! One of those.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I would like to see your food and exercise diary if you would open it...it would help with any suggestions.

This!
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i'm a one month plateau too. argh! is there something in your diet that you can easily cut? dessert, wine, something like that? or an easy substitute? i'm pretty sure my plateau is due to the extra cals i've been consuming due to food and celebrations for the holiday season.

you could try to add in some extra exercise, too - perhaps a 20 minute walk at lunch? i think the theme is just to change things up a little. i got over my last plateau (like a 2 month one!) by giving up alcohol during the week - i used to have couple beers or glasses of wine a couple days a week, so that did it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    First let's define a "plateau" in weight loss since terminology does make a difference. A plateau is 6 weeks or more of no weight loss if one has been CONSISTENT with diet and exercise. A "stall" signifies anything below that. So you're in a "stall".
    DON'T rely on appetite suppressants. Unless you're willing to USE THEM THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, it's not a lifestyle change, but a temporary fix.
    Find out what your TDEE is and eat 20% less, but ensure your getting in your macronutrient/micronutrients. And of course get in some physical activity that you will do for life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    You should definitely check out this post. Helped a lot of people on MFP. :)

Good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Also, sometimes giving yourself a break from dieting and exercise helps too....helps your body to reset itself. Just a thought. It's worked for me in the past.