Fitbit on a treadmill?

Options
Ok, I looked up the info on the fitbit that I have, and it says that it can't track stairs climbed on a stair machine since it actually uses elevation. I was wondering, however, how accurate it is on a treadmill. We just bought one and are waiting for amazon to get it here. When using it, is the fitbit going to accurately be able to judge steps/calories, or is this something where I have to use the machine and adjust afterwards? Need some advice from fitbit users who rely heavily on treadmills how it works.
Thanks guys,

Stdavis

(PS. Ordered a Sole F80 and can't wait for it to get here!)
^
Can't believe I am finally of the mindset with this weight loss thing that i'm excited that excercise equipment is on its way, haha.

Replies

• mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I only got my fitbit one 2 days ago and have no idea how it works really :ohwell: Lol....however, I can say it does acturately count my steps when generally walking and when walking on my treadmill at 3.5mpn.....as for whether the calories burnt are accurate, I have no idea!!
  • Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    That is my main concern. I know it will count steps accurately, its the calorie counts and adjustments I want to make sure are accurate.
  • Tiff216
    Tiff216 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I use my fitbit on the treadmill all the time....it seems to be accurate for the most part, but I really only pay attention to the amount of steps.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I use my fitbit on the treadmill all the time....it seems to be accurate for the most part, but I really only pay attention to the amount of steps.

This. For the calorie accuracy, if your BMR is close to what they use, it's fairly accurate. However, there is no way to adjust the BMR. I had mine tested and know that it's approximately 250 calories per day higher than FB estimates. So overall, the calories burned it's displaying for me are low by 250 a day. For activity though (running and walking) it's pretty close to what my HRM says. It doesn't work for other types of activities though so you'd still have to log things like swimming and elliptical or weight lifting.