Nothing is helping me lose

Options
I have been dieting for 2 months and did so much homework on what is the right foods and wrong. I added exercise, ( elliptical ) and I ate my calorie count both ways before and after exercise. and ate less then allowed after exercise. I lost 10 pounds but the last 2 week not one pound gone. It is very discouraging but I am determined to lose this extra weight. I read the ingredients before anything goes in my mouth. what the heck can I do to get past this platue. I even changed up my exercise because i read your bady can get used to the exercise. the only thing I haven't tried is starving myself. I know that is not what i need to do can anyone help

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Most likely you're either over estimating your calories burned, or underestimating you calories in. Remember that it's hard calculate either one exactly.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    To be successful in the long run, you're going to have to realize that this takes time and not take drastic measures every time weight loss slows or stops. Technically until you haven't either lost weight or had a change in body composition for at least 6 weeks. You are not plateaued.
    You can't expect weight loss to be consistent and linear all the time. I will often go a month without it showing on the scale. But I don't start changing things until I am at least 6 weeks with no changes. More often than not, forward progress starts again.
    There are people on here who haven't seen the scale move in over a year and it isn't for lack of trying or even for lack of progress in some cases. Sometimes, for example, your body may be recomposing, burning fat or repairing muscles and it may not show on the scale for a while.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I have been dieting for 2 months and did so much homework on what is the right foods and wrong. I added exercise, ( elliptical ) and I ate my calorie count both ways before and after exercise. and ate less then allowed after exercise. I lost 10 pounds but the last 2 week not one pound gone. It is very discouraging but I am determined to lose this extra weight. I read the ingredients before anything goes in my mouth. what the heck can I do to get past this platue. I even changed up my exercise because i read your bady can get used to the exercise. the only thing I haven't tried is starving myself. I know that is not what i need to do can anyone help

You lost 10 lbs in the last 2 months...seems like success to me. 2 weeks of no loss isn't anything to be too concerned about...it is a marathon, not a sprint. Make sure the calories you are consuming are correct, and you really are eating at a reasonable deficit and keep at it. A 2 week stall is nothing to worry about.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    17 pounds is freaken good in 2 months! It's more than I've lost. I went awhile without losing anything and then I upped my calories and it helped me get over it and start losing again.

How much are you eating, how much more do you have to lose? Both things will make it harder to lose if it's on the low end. LIke ahamm said, how do you know you're right on the calories in vs calories out (do you have a scale for food and a HRM for burn?)
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    first of all, 2 weeks is not a plateau.
    second, 10 pounds in 2 months is great! that's a little more than the 1 pound a week typically recommended. take a step back, look at your progress, and be proud of yourself. you HAVE accomplished something, and it is wonderful!

our bodies are not perfect machines. sometimes you'll do everything right and not lose. for me, many times i'll stay at the same weight for 2-4 weeks, and then the amount i should have lost(that 2-4 pounds) will all come off at the same time! i know i've spoken with many people whose bodies do the same thing.
    it's a little annoying, but you just have to give your body time, and calm down about it a little.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    you're not going to constently lose weight every week, that's not how weight loss works

Patience is the most important element.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Relax, this is very normal. Weight loss is not linear nor nor frankly is always fat. Water retention can cause you to plateau weigth wise while still losing fat. If you are in an appropriate deficit, eating right and exercising, you are losing fat reguardless of what the scale says. One of these days you'll step on the scale it it will go down 2 lbs overnight.

I have 2 suggestions, however:

1) remove the word "diet" from your vocabulary and thought process. Dieting implies deprivation and a temporary effort. once off the "diet" weight will regain. You really need to look at this as a lifestyle change not a diet. A lifestyle change is forever and will be successful in the long term. Lifestyle change allows for treats now and then, you are depriving yourself your just making more good choices than you did in the past.

2) This is hard, I had trouble with it, but don;t obsess on the scale, think long term and lifestyle change, this approach has the highest liklihood of long term success.

Relax :)
  • mtiheartmuscle
    Options
    I'd have to look at your food diary, but my guess is you are not consuming enough food and not doing the right types of workouts for your body. Try to add strengh (weight) training into your routine at 3x per week. Cardio 3-4x per week and change your schedule often. (If you tend to stick to the same workouts, you body becomes used to it and you'll stop seeing results)
    I'd also recommend eating 5-6 small meals per day. Try following the 50/30/20 ratio for eating to lose fat. (protein/carbs/fat)
  • mtiheartmuscle
    Options
    And everyone else is right, it takes months to see results. It's a life style change and takes time and patience. :-)
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've stalled out a few times along the way, then will suddenly drop 4 lbs after weeks of nothing (in October I only lost 1.2lbs all month, than in November I lost 8... I did nothing different!) It's annoying but don't let it derail your progress! If you are at a deficit the scale will catch up. =)
  • drinkhorn2
    drinkhorn2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thank you for all the advice I know I can't lose it all at once i need to lose 100 pounds. I did it once before and kept it off for 3 years but I honestly can't say what I did except get divorced !! lol I gained it back when i met another guy.. HHHMMMMMM i know what it is I need to lose the guy.. seriously I will never give up I feel so good knowing that I am at least paying attention to what I eat and am exercising. my pants are comfortable to have on now and not making ugly red marks on my belly so I guess i need to just be patient and keep working on it
  • drinkhorn2
    drinkhorn2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    according to the cal counter I am always 300 or more under my total cal amount. I really find it hard to eat 1200 cals,and not feel like i want to throw up cause i feel so stuffed.