How calorie restriction affects longevity: Some science

Options
An interesting article regarding study conducted on the possible positive effect of a calorie restricted and "ketogenic" diet on reducing oxidative cell damage...Research has shown that reducing calories increases longevity but the mechanism for this effect is not known.

http://www.stonehearthnewsletters.com/how-calorie-restriction-affects-longevity-some-science/nutrition-calorie-restriction/

Replies

• Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    If I can't eat my bacon, just kill me now.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm...Bacon.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to look for it right now, but I recently read an article about a study that found that calorie restriction (the extreme kind) did not extend longevity in rats, but that there might be other health effects.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to look for it right now, but I recently read an article about a study that found that calorie restriction (the extreme kind) did not extend longevity in rats, but that there might be other health effects.

Yeah extreme calorie restriction will kill you
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Unless prison food is tasty, I could find out if I was on a calorically restricted diet for too long...
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen pictures of people that actually practice calorie restriction? Quality of life becomes more of an issue than longevity and some point.
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gddrdld
    Options
    Have you ever seen pictures of people that actually practice calorie restriction? Quality of life becomes more of an issue than longevity and some point.

We're not talking starvation...Moderate calorie restriction is associated with longevity in several large epidemiological studies. Just sharing an article I found interesting.
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    longevity is fine if you remain healthy obviously!my mum was 84 3 weeks ago on November 9th she suffered Dementia was doubly incontinent her memory span was about 3 minutes she knew us when we were there and then forgot the minute we left,she had to go into a home as I could just not manage any longer she then broke her hip and finally closed her eyes for ever last Friday Nov 30th ,my point is respect your body and your health while you have it no one knows how long that may be,longevity isint all its cracked up to be!
  • gddrdld
    Options
    longevity is fine if you remain healthy obviously!my mum was 84 3 weeks ago on November 9th she suffered Dementia was doubly incontinent her memory span was about 3 minutes she knew us when we were there and then forgot the minute we left,she had to go into a home as I could just not manage any longer she then broke her hip and finally closed her eyes for ever last Friday Nov 30th ,my point is respect your body and your health while you have it no one knows how long that may be,longevity isint all its cracked up to be!

Sorry about your mom...That's tough. I spent 9 years working in nursing homes and 10yrs, so far, working in hospitals...Makes you appreciate your health for sure.