Age 41, meet the Great Metabolism Slowdown

Options
Hi folks. Forty-one year old guy here. According to the scale in the house, I've managed to gain roughly 25lbs in the last year, so here I am, trying to fix that state of affairs before none of my clothes fit anymore. Thanks for reading, and any support.

Replies

• jaysmom23
    jaysmom23 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hey there age 41 !! I'm here for support! You can friend me if you like
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm 36 and my metabolism slowed to a crawl after I turned 28! I feel ya buddy, it sucks. Welcome and good luck to you on your journey :)
    23087067.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • ChrissME
    ChrissME Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm 57. I have no metabolism. It flat-lined years ago. :grumble:
  • nikkibeverly
    nikkibeverly Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do understand the slow down. It seems like after 35 years of age, everything slows down drastically. I'm trying to get back the metabolism I had at 25.
  • beanerific518
    Options
    The older you get, the less lean muscle mass you have. Strength training will help ALOT!
  • Shanthornton
    Options
    The older you get, the less lean muscle mass you have. Strength training will help ALOT!
  • Shanthornton
    Options
    Two thumbs UP!! yes it will
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hi age 41, I'm 45. YOU can do this. If I can, so can you.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm 41 and 5'5. my TDEE is approx 2800 calories

lift weights, build muscle and you wont need to worry about metabolic slow down as much

ETA lift heavy weights :tongue:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism only slows down the equivalent of 10 calories per year. The problem is usually more indirect - you get older, you move less. The way to fix that is to move more...and strength train.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Muscle mass is not inevitable!!!! I have more muscle mass now than I ever did.
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Only 27 and I'm feeling it already :(
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism only slows down the equivalent of 10 calories per year. The problem is usually more indirect - you get older, you move less. The way to fix that is to move more...and strength train.

My "metabolism" went down in my mid 20's and back up in my late 20's-early 30's.

Wizardry.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    If you:
    1)Increase lean body mass and preserve it as best as one can throughout life
    2)Spend most of your adult life eating the maximum amount of calories needed to maintain body weight relative to activity - ie not in a calorie deficit.

You will pretty much maintain your RMR and optimal endocrine function in the absence of any metabolic condition.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If you:
    1)Increase lean body mass and preserve it as best as one can throughout life
    2)Spend most of your adult life eating the maximum amount of calories needed to maintain body weight relative to activity - ie not in a calorie deficit.

You will pretty much maintain your RMR and optimal endocrine function in the absence of any metabolic condition.

the-very-best-of-the-success-kid-meme.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    DON'T let age deter you!!!! I'll be 49 in January and look much better than many 25 year old males. Determination, discipline and desire...............................

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RiverDancer68
    RiverDancer68 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm 44 and am in better shape than when I was in High School. Don't let your age get in your way! You can do this, just educate yourself on what your body needs and you will be just fine!:flowerforyou:
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I am 42 and in a few months I am certain I'll be in better shape than I was at 18 in high school. You can do this just get out there and Get R' Done
  • peachea
    peachea Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    43 and only getting better :)