Does spaghetti squash taste like pasta?

Options
Someone put a post about how they really liked spaghetti squash and how it tasted really good, but I'm not a big fan of squash, does it taste like squash when you mix it with stuff? Just curious :D

Replies

• now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I don't find it tastes like pasta. It has a much different taste than normal pasta does.

When I use it I normally will mix it with pasta so there is still the pasta taste but you can eat more of it for less calories than if it were all pasta.

It tastes like a plate of veggies when you eat it alone but looks like pasta.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Not really. It has a slightly sweet nutty flavor. Doesn't taste at all like pasta to me but its still good nonetheless.
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It does not taste like other squash..like pumpkin or butternut...

i use it in place of pasta and top with marinara sauce and I love it! It has a slightly nutty flavor to me. The only thing I DONT like about it is it is hard to cut in half to cook!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The consistency/taste is definitely more like the zucchini or summer squashes than the orange winter squashes (buttercup, butternut). And similarly, I find it will more likely take on the taste of things you put with it.

It's called spaghetti squash because the "meat" of the squash is stringy like spaghetti, not because it tastes like it.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    No, I don't think it tastes like pasta. It's a bit more crispy, and the consistency/texture is different. I like it a lot, I just don't find it to taste the same as pasta!
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash.

Tastes more like squash not pasta.

Put some chili on top with stuffed peppers. YUMMMMMM.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I didn't think it tasted like your typical squash or like pasta. I was skeptical but gave it a try and I'm glad I did. Now I crave it. I made it w/ ground turkey, shredded mozz, and ragu. YUMMMY!!!!!
  • rosebudbutterfly
    rosebudbutterfly Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It don't taste like pasta to me. Really can't tell you what it taste like but I liked it. I've cooked it twice within the last couple weeks,
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    If you cook it correctly it can absorb the flavor of whatever you cook it in. It is kind of like tofu in that way. I love spaghetti squash. It is a great replacement for pasta.
  • Queen_Adrock
    Queen_Adrock Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Just tried spaghetti squash for the first time a few weeks ago. It tasted like awesome. Could have fooled me for pasta, but that's because I tossed it with marinara, sliced olives, grilled zucchini, and a bit of feta cheese and Greek spices, so there were a lot of flavors that masked the actual squash flavor.
  • kellis155
    Options
    Nah, like everyone else has said, it's not really like pasta/spaghetti. I am not a giant squash fan either, but if I cover the squash "noodles" with marinara, it totally hides the "squash" flavor. And you can eat a giant plate for like 20% of the calories compared to pasta. Give it a whirl to see if you like it. I totally agree with the earlier poster that said the worst thing about squash is cutting it in half. It sucks and is so hard!
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    I don't care for it. Does not taste like pasta AT ALL to me. The nutty flavor with the marinara is slightly nauseating to me. I like my squash mixed with onions.

I like Dreamfields pasta which tastes great and is lower net carb.

I like to pour spaghetti sauce over a grilled chicken breast and melt some cheese on top. High protein, low carb.

I usually combine these two with a salad when I am doing Italian.
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    No.
    It tastes like squash (somewhere between summer and winter varieties). It is stringy when cooked.
    I like it with an herb, garlic, and butter sauce.
  • bserwack
    bserwack Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Zap it in the microwave for a few minutes, let it cool, and it cuts in half really easily. AND then it takes less cooking time in the oven!
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Someone put a post about how they really liked spaghetti squash and how it tasted really good, but I'm not a big fan of squash, does it taste like squash when you mix it with stuff? Just curious :D

No, but it has a very mild taste. I absolutely love it and often eat a bowl of it with just a bit of salt and pepper on it.
  • elizabethis
    elizabethis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Not a bit like pasta - definitely a summer squash-like texture and flavor. I think it's best to think of it as a completely different food. If you expect it to replace spaghetti, you may be very disappointed. I DO like squash and will eat this variety occasionally as a side dish. I DO NOT like it with marinara sauce.
  • THuffman1967
    THuffman1967 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    No. It doesn't taste like pasta. I love butternut squash, so was excited to try spaghetti squash. I roasted it, and drizzled it with olive oil, salt, and pepper. It was good, but not butternut squash good.
  • Yieya
    Yieya Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Like most of the other posters said it doesn't taste like pasta. I looks like it, but it has a sweet nutty flavor. I think its worth trying since it is so low in calories and has Vit b6. I like mine with meat sauce or tossed with olive oil, garlic, cherry tomatos and fresh mozzarella.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    It does not taste like other squash..like pumpkin or butternut...

i use it in place of pasta and top with marinara sauce and I love it! It has a slightly nutty flavor to me. The only thing I DONT like about it is it is hard to cut in half to cook!

Agree about the cutting of the whole squash, that is why I don't make it very often. I like the taste but in my opinion is not worthy the work. I have to ask my husband to cut it for me because the last time that I tried, I almost cut my fingers. I wish I could find spaghetti squash already cut in the market.

I do eat lots of butternut squash (already cubed), and I mix my whole grain pasta, which I don't make too often either, with saute spinach, zucchini, kale, turnip greens, etc.. I use less pasta and I add more veggies.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options

I don't really like squash either and was reluctant to try this. But I did and it's delicious. it doesn't taste like pasta but it's very mild and with a sauce on it, it is a wonderful spaghetti substitute. It has a bit of a crunch to it that spaghetti doesn't have and a very slight nutty flavor; I found I liked that. You may want to adapt the sauce to fit the squash. I don't put meat in my spaghetti sauce and use lots of onions, mushrooms, red peppers, garlic, fresh tomatoes and broccoli in a tomato based sauce.

It's worth trying to see if you like it. To cook the squash, cut it in half lengthwise, put it in a shallow pan of water (maybe 1/4" deep & cut side down) into the oven until it's soft (30 or so minutes; depending on squash size). Scrape the inside of the squash to get the spaghetti-shaped fibers.