Protein Powder for Girls???

Options
I have been wanting to purchase some protein powder and I was wondering what the best type of protein for a female would be? I know alot of protein can be used for "weight gainer" and I really dont want that. Has anyone tried Jillian Michaels protein?

Also, my fiance has a huge thing of cytosport chocolate whey protein, Can I use that?

Replies

• jenlhugg
    jenlhugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I use my husbands, most of the time I think protein is protein. I have tried plain soy too that isn't flavored, but it can be kindof gritty. I think a lot of the time they just market it as bulking up. But my husband did tell me that getting more than 25g grams at one time is kind of futile and your body doesn't process it. So, when I make a shake I usually add just 1/2 a scoop (usually 12g protein) with yogurt which already has protein and orange juice, shake it up in a shaker, and it gives me all the protein I need.
  • siobhannestor
    Options
    Protein by itself isn't going to make you gain weight + without steroids, women cannot bulk up the way men do. Check the label of your husband's powder - many brands have lots of sugar, Also, the soy-based versions can inhibit thyroid function which is not so good if you're trying to lose weight (pretty much any soy product that isn't fermented like tofu or tempeh can do that - the tell people with thyroid disease to avoid soy completely),

If you have a whole foods in your area, I love their "Everyday Value Whey Protein Powder" which is 100% whey-based and is sweetened with Stevia (no calories and actually healthy for you). It's not grainy either (Trader Joe's is...) I just bought a whole bunch of it on sale at $9.99 per container.
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    All protein powders are different!!! Men and women do not typically use the same protein powder, as the ones that men use are way higher in carbs & have different ingredients to serve different purposes.

Go to your nearest health food store & ask for a good whey protein that is low in carbs.

I find vanilla is the most vesatile. If you can mix it with water and ice, great, sometimes it takes a little getting used to as it does have a specific "taste".
    Ihave used protein powders for over a decade, they will help you get into "peak" form & feed your muscles after a workout.
    If you can't handle the taste at the beginning or are using it as a meal replacement try adding a few frozen strawberries, half a banana, several ice cubes & then a low fat, low sugar juice like OJ or cranberry. This will mask the taste & also leave you feeling full and satisfied.

You asked specifically about the biggest loser protein powder...i have only tried the chocolate, it is cheap, low in calories & tastes great, but not what i would recomend if you are looking for a good protein powder after your work out....here's why:

biggest loser whey
    (per34 grams)
    calories 100
    fat 2 gram
    carbs 18
    sugar 4 grams
    PROTEIN 12 g

Designer Whey
    (per 40 grams)
    cals150
    fat .3
    carbs 1
    sugar .5 gram
    PROTEIN 35 grams

I definately recomend using a protein powder after your workout....Hope this is helpful!!
  • bostonmia
    bostonmia Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    As a trainer I recommend whey protein isolate as the first ingredient to any good clean protein powder. Two of the proteins I've used consistently for years is either vanilla or natural flavored. Precision Engineered or Designer Whey. The second one you can find super cheap at www.luckyvitamins.com along with any other supplements you are interested in taking. Best to use the protein within an 1hr of intense strength training workouts for muscle repair purpose. If you are simply trying to reach your optimal protein intake you can make smoothies or even add this into oatmeal, pancake and bread mixes :)
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the Syntha 6 powder. Chocloate tastes soooooo good!
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    I'm using Tight Curves powder. It has 14g of soy pro'r serving (90 calories, 4g fat, 4g carbs, no sugar) plus PeptoPro, Calcium (50% of the recommended daily intake), Black Cohosh, St. John’s Wort and Folic Acid.

Vanilla tastes really good ! I'm blending it with a cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk and a cup of strawberries. So yummy !
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    I'm a fan of the Syntha 6 powder. Chocloate tastes soooooo good!

I just learned about Syntha 6 yesterday and have heard nothing but good things about it. I can't wait to try it!