Protien powder?

Options
My mother told me to add proteit powder to my meal replacement smoothies....(I make my own smoothies out of fruit and either POM juice or Almond milk)....but my brother said that when he was dieting, he did a smoothie for lunch with whey protein and he didn't loose any weight, he said the protein just kinda killed the diet....is this true for anyone else? Does anyone have advise on how to keep using the powder but still lose the weight?? I don't eat very much meat, (not because im a veggie, I LOVE my meat, I just don't make it very much) so I NEED the protein, but I don't to stall my weight loss :(

Replies

• bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    not losing depends on what the rest of your day looks like...
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Your brother must've not been eating at a calorie deficit - or he wasn't making smart food choices. I use protein powder pretty much every single day and I've lost 116lbs. I mix it in my greek yogurt, I put it in shakes. I use it when I bake. It's amazing. You want to get one that is high in protein (obviously) but low in sugar/carbs, and fat.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is all about calories. If you add protein, cut calories elsewhere to even it out. Also make sure you measure out everything in your smoothie because they can be quite high in calories depending on what you add. The protein will not keep you from losing weight.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Your brother must've not been eating at a calorie deficit - or he wasn't making smart food choices. I use protein powder pretty much every single day and I've lost 116lbs. I mix it in my greek yogurt, I put it in shakes. I use it when I bake. It's amazing. You want to get one that is high in protein (obviously) but low in sugar/carbs, and fat.

^^ this
    High protein diets are great for losing weight!
  • mommycordillia
    Options
    Thank you all!!! This makes me feel better lol!
  • shquig
    shquig Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am guessing that the protein powder is not the reason your brother wasn't losing weight. You do have to count the calories from the protein powder (of course) but protein is imperative in a diet and it has worked great for me. I drink shakes with protein powder regularly and know a lot of other people that do the same. Now if you're downing protein powder shakes with a side of Twinkies and Bon Bons....maybe not so good for a diet! LOL
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I just started using the powder a few days ago.. on teh advice of a personal trainer. I'm still eating under the calories and I lost a pound.. Just make sure you adjust your calories to incorporate it and you'll be ok. I'm less hungry with it added in to my diet.. esp when it's with a smoothie in the morning.
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've had this same question lately. I'm with you OP, I like meat but don't cook much of it so I'm not hitting my protein goals. I'm thinking of adding a protein powder to my morning smoothie. Add me as a friend if you want and let me know how it goes for you. I agree with people saying it prob wasn't the protein powder that was stalling your bros weight loss. It all comes down to calories in the end and I've found that if I eat more protein and less carbs look more "trim". I also stay full longer so thats a big plus! I say try it for a month and see what happens. That's what I'm planning, hope it works :)