low cal alcoholic drinks

Options
What are some low calorie alcoholic drinks you can order at the bar? I'm going out with some friends for the first time since I started counting calories again so I'm looking for some recommendations. I'm more of a cocktail kind of girl which I know really tend to pack in the calories. Right now I'm thinking rum and diet cokes?

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Ya rum and diet coke, vodka + diet, whiskey + diet sprite, whiskey on the rocks :) Just avoid the fruit drinks, margaritas, energy shots, and things with juice in them.
  • greenmeena
    greenmeena Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Vodka with soda water and lemon- refreshing! That way you can avoid the diet soda trap. That stuff still spikes your insulin and it's horrible for you to boot.
    Wine isn't too bad, if you aren't looking to get smashed; especially prosecco (Italian version of champagne).
    Forget those sugary drinks like Baileys and all that. Gross.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    spirits + low cal mixer are a good way to go, so yeah - rum and diet cokes.
  • VitVit18
    VitVit18 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Basically what the others said. There was an infographic that was floating around on some fitblrs not too long ago, I can't seem to find it now though. It basically ranked drinks best to worst for how drunk they get you for the least amount of calories. Near the top for the cocktails (if memory serves) - vodka tonics, vodka martinis (ew IMO, love me a good martini but I can't drink a classic one to save my life), straight vodka/rum/tequila/whiskey, and any mixed with diet sodas.
  • elebel82
    elebel82 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    vodka, lime and soda, every time (just make sure they put in actual lime, not lime syrup. And lemon is a poor substitute for lime, but it'll work just the same)
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Vodka and club soda with lime. Some bars have that low cal vodka, Voli Light. I haven't tried it, but it's supposed to be a third fewer calories.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    Gin and Tonic
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Gin and Tonic

Tonic isn't low in calories. There are 124 calories per 12 oz. Not sure I'd agree with this. Tonic used to be a medicine to fight malaria. It's basically quinine and sugar.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Vodka and club soda with lime. Some bars have that low cal vodka, Voli Light. I haven't tried it, but it's supposed to be a third fewer calories.

Careful though, Light usually means less alcohol content too.. so ya know, double the drinking
  • deadbambi
    Options
    Tequilaaaaaaaaaa!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Wine and Guinness. Not necessarily in that order.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Wine and Guinness. Not necessarily in that order.
    Or mixed...

Spirits.
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    Bacardi and soda water with a splash of lime cordial (Rose's)...if that's wrong, I don't want to be right.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Everclear is your most efficient drink...
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Bourbon (or rum...but come on...bourbon) and coke zero (spoken from a diet coke addict)
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Gin and Tonic

Tonic isn't low in calories. There are 124 calories per 12 oz. Not sure I'd agree with this. Tonic used to be a medicine to fight malaria. It's basically quinine and sugar.

Slimline tonic is low cal as it uses aspartame not sugar.
  • _lizzie_
    _lizzie_ Posts: 130
    Options
    Or just a light beer..My aunt used to drink a 65 select that had..65 calories. I prefer what others have said, gin/vodka/rum with a diet mixer like tonic/soda.
  • IslandRider
    Options
    If you like margaritas, you could do a Bud Light Limearita mixed half and half with club soda and over ice. I started doing that because it's too sweet on its own, and it worked out pretty well. It's 220 cals per 8 oz, so you end up with like 3 drinks by the time you mix with the soda put it over ice. So just under 80 cals per drink.
  • AmyJMadison
    AmyJMadison Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Plain spirits and soda or tonic with a twist, or wedge. Avoid fruit flavored vodkas it you really want the lowest calorie and opt for the twist. And low cal light beer if that is more your style. You just really sacrufice taste there.
  • jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    (Enter alcohol type here) on the rocks, cuts out all the extra calories.