Well that's depressing: When your pet was dying...

Options
124»

Replies

• Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    There is nothing you can say... or do to make them feel better.

I still miss my dog - even though he was cold and cranky and would bite you even though he had no teeth left (they all had to be removed due to tooth decay from his kidney's failing).

The vet saved a piece of his fur and did a cast of his paw and I have that but it makes me cry every time I see it.
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    My vet cried after she put our cat down - probably because my husband and I were such basket cases - but it was so touching. We had her cremated and we also have a lock of her hair and her paw print. On my husband's birthday, just a few days later, we immersed her ashes in the Chattahoochee River in northern Georgia and prayed. Later that we went panning for gold at the various mines they have in that area. My husband brought back buckets of dirt so he could pan at home. He not only found gold, but the shapes were absolutely incredible. One is of Madonna and Child. I like to believe that God was telling us she is safe with Him now and no longer in pain. A few months later, my husband opened a shop in her honor called "Pebblu's Gold" located in Helen, GA. The shop has been open now for about 7 weeks. A true labor of love.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I just had my cat of 15 years pass this past February. I think what made it easy for me...was that when I got her..it was a very dark time in my life. I moved 3000 miles away from home, married a man that I didnt want (arranged) , to a state that was gloomy. (I am from Cali) and no cats..(i am one of those who gets depression without a cat)

So anywho..God brought her into my life cause I really needed her. She was a great companion. Flash forward...I am now pretty fufilled..

So my point..she is somewhat in a better place..so its time for her pet to go..She did her job..by being a companion...It makes me feel better when I think of Yoda in that capacity....People who dont have pets dont understand how much they are a part of us..
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Well, nothing better than sobbing uncontrollably at work :(

I can't imagine losing my fur baby because i have cried myself sick when she was missing.

I can only imagine a card and a hug would suffice.

I see a lot of people posting about memorabilia. I would think, i wouldnt even be able to see a picture of her without completely losing it.
  • Krissy1214
    Krissy1214 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Here's a website that gives support through times like these for caregivers of pets, and it also has resources on it for those of you who are battling a pet's illness currently. http://www.daybydaypetsupport.com

For those who have lost a pet, here's a poem that may help:

Victory

Last night I dreamt that my precious dog, who passed away a day ago,

had come to see me one last time before he went where good dogs go.

As I looked into his eyes, remembering all that his days entailed,

I said, “I’m sorry I couldn’t save you. I’m sorry that I failed.”

My dog immediately shook his head and said, “Mom, don’t you see?

You have not let me down or failed. You won, victoriously!”

“But how?” I asked my sweet, sweet dog, “Can you say that I have won?

I tried so hard to make you well, and in the end, you’re gone”

My dog gave me a beaming smile and said, “I do recall,

that you gave me the one thing that I wanted most of all.

The only thing I ever really hoped for endlessly,

was to get the chance to live as part of a loving family.

I’ve met so many dogs here with no opportunity

to start each day with knowing that love was a guarantee.

But I was given that great gift and cherished it while I lived.

I just wish the other dogs here could have had the life I did.

And all your work to fight my illness… that was not in vain.

For each new day you fought to give me was another day I gained

The chance to have my belly rubbed, to snuggle and to feel,

the joy of seeing all the wonders the treat jar would reveal!

You fought to keep me healthy and by doing so gave to me,

the best life I could ask for. Will you claim that victory?”

I hugged my dog and said, “But I didn’t get much time with you.

Perhaps I could have tried something else, there’s more that I could do.”

My dog said, “Mom, you did all you could, so please don’t hold this guilt.

I don’t mourn the years we’ll never have. I cherish the love we’ve built.

One day of pats and treats and kisses and playing with the cat,

is more than I could wish for, and I got eight years of that!”

I raised my head and began to feel what my sweet boy was trying to say,

“I know you’ll be okay”, he said, “You always find a way.

So please release your heart from guilt and don’t live in regret.

And use that love to help more dogs. You’ve never failed us yet.”

I began to understand what he wanted me to know.

I had fought his illness bravely, and it was okay to let him go.

I wrapped my arms around him, hugged him one more time and then,

I said goodbye as he prepared to leave me once again.

But before he trotted away and headed off into the sun,

he turned his head to smile at me and said,

“Thanks Mom. Job well done!”

© copyright 2012 Kristen Abbott
  • Jenerferzzz
    Jenerferzzz Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Wow... This whole thread has me all teary. My family and I are huge animal lovers so Most of my life there has been a four legged family member with me. The times I lived without one it always felt like something was missing. Having had animals, from dogs and cats to rats and rabbits I am no stranger to the pain and loss of them passing away. It's better sweet seeing that so many other people share the great feelings of loss when one of our animals passes one. I wish I wasn't at work right now because reading this whole thread has made me wish I could hug my dog right now. Thank you all for sharing your stories and the great ideas for helping someone get through their grief. It's great to see so many people that care.
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    Nobody said anything bad, but it meant a lot when people simply acknowledged I had a loss. I have two dogs, both about two years old now. As I read these posts, it warms me to know how many of us have been lucky to know how great our dogs have been for us.

For me, nothing has dulled the pain of losing my last dog as much as time. Even now, about 1.5 years later, I find my eyes water and occasional full crying when I think about Lucy. But I was lucky to have her, lucky to have Rusty and Ranger now. I sometimes look at them and know that most likely, a day will come when I will have the pain of their loss and not sure if I can go through it another time. These loyal, funny, exercise partners who are overjoyed to just have my presence in the backyard with them will one day go.

I won't need any grand gesture, nothing like that will help. But for me, friends knowing and acknowledging I am going through real loss and pain is the best thing they'll do for me.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I've lost so many pets since I was young, cried every time :( I think just knowing someone else cares is the best thing ever. In our grove is a tree we planted when our old lab died. He was 13 or 14 and had been passed through my husbands family members b/c of various living situations. We got him the last 2 or 3 years as we lived on an acreage. That tree now has a friends cat and another lab that passed suddenly when he was only 6. It's nice having that tree and remembering the special pets there. I hate the thought of losing my current pets, but I know they will have a resting place and that helps.
  • kk_stephens
    kk_stephens Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I dont know if we pet lovers ever get over the grief. We put our dog down about a month ago (10 days after he attacked my son -- who was "playing" with the dog while he was eating (old dog, young kid)....4 hospitals and 5 days later my sone came home and loved on the dog and forgave him.

Our brother in law took the dog to be put down for us as we couldnt do it.

Reading these postings.....brings it all back, tears and all. Thank you all.
  • harleydall76
    harleydall76 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    My mother's friend sent me a card when my last cat passed. Also, my vet does their paw prints in clay with their name stamped on. I like that very much.