Weight Lifters: What do you...

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is calorie deficit.

But *health* is slightly...or grossly, depending on who you believe...more complicated.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I have my opinion, and will weigh in (see what I did there?) at some point.

For the record, I'm not asking these questions because I'm looking for advice...what I'm doing works. I just knew this would be a good topic of conversation.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is calorie deficit.

But *health* is slightly...or grossly, depending on who you believe...more complicated.

True, but there are objective measures of health, and all reasonable dieting approaches are basically different paths to the same destination.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Plenty do it just as your friend said, they stay in their calorie goal, aim for high protein and may or may not pay attention to their other macros, do absolutely no cardio whatsoever and are losing body fat. This is me as well. I don't even hit my protein macros as much as I should and I eat a lot of junk, too, admittedly, and I am steadily decreasing in body fat as well as weight, if that's your thing to measure. I lift 3 days a week, for approximately an hour each time.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    and still loses weight because she's lifting

she loses weight because she is in a calorie deficit
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I eat... anything. Some people will hate me, but as long as I stay under my calorie limit, the menu is WIDE OPEN.

Granted, my TDEE is around 2500 calories a day, and when I get a good lifting day in, that can jump another 300-400 calories easily. My cardio consist of about 10 minutes of punching the day's annoyances away on a heavy bag.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Your co-worker who eats what she wants is right. And I'm sure she's a lot happier than the ones arguing (and trying) otherwise.

Yep.

You mentioned that she eats within her calorie target - that's why she can lose weight.

I do the same thing pretty much. I eat within my calorie budget, get enough protein and fats and try to get fruits and veggies in - after that, I eat what I want. In fact, I am eating a poptart ice cream sammich right now.

Agreed!! I stay within my caloric intake I only watch my 3 main Macro's (Carbs, Protein, and fat) beyond that I have never tracked sugar, sodium, etc..... and I get in around 125 oz. of water a day (32 oz. gatorade bottle filled 4 times..) I lift 4 days a week and was doing cardio 6 days a week but I was in the process of loosing over 300 lbs. now that I am closing in on goal I am slowing my cardio down because I am getting very close to my maintenance weight.. Best of Luck...
  • dare2love81
    Options
    Your co-worker who eats what she wants is right. And I'm sure she's a lot happier than the ones arguing (and trying) otherwise.

Yep.

You mentioned that she eats within her calorie target - that's why she can lose weight.

I do the same thing pretty much. I eat within my calorie budget, get enough protein and fats and try to get fruits and veggies in - after that, I eat what I want. In fact, I am eating a poptart ice cream sammich right now.

All I heard was Poptart ice cream sammich. :drinker:
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    if you are eating less than tdee you will lose weight

Not arguing that point. The question at hand is whether or not it matters what you eat. Example: eating clean vs. eating junk food. And yes, I'm well aware that I'm opening up a huge can of worms with this topic. LoL I just enjoyed listening to their conversation while keeping my opinion out of it. :bigsmile:

If a person suggested that it mattered WHAT you ate, then that person WOULD be arguing this point. I'm pretty sure the poster was saying no matter what you eat, if it's less than your TDEE you will lose weight. And I heartily concur. :drinker:

I think it's misrepresenting this chick to say she is "eating whatever she wants" though. She is eating at a deficit. Maybe she magically has no desire to eat more than that, but she IS managing her intake. If the issue was "can you do no tracking of your intake and eat as much as you want and still lose weight because you lift" that would be a different and sort of unanswerable question.
  • malystrasza
    Options
    Whether you eat clean or eat junk food you'll lose as long as you eat at a deficit. Whichever way you chose to eat is ultimately up to you. Whatever you feel comfortable with.

For my cut, I chose to eat clean since I figured it'd be better for my long term health and also cooking for myself was better for my wallet, than eating out or buying premade frozen foods at the market. I lost all my weight, lifting 3 days a week with no cardio. Now that I'm on a bulk, I still eat relatively clean, but I do sneak in some "junk" food to meet my caloric goal. lol
  • dare2love81
    Options
    if you are eating less than tdee you will lose weight

Not arguing that point. The question at hand is whether or not it matters what you eat. Example: eating clean vs. eating junk food. And yes, I'm well aware that I'm opening up a huge can of worms with this topic. LoL I just enjoyed listening to their conversation while keeping my opinion out of it. :bigsmile:

If a person suggested that it mattered WHAT you ate, then that person WOULD be arguing this point. I'm pretty sure the poster was saying no matter what you eat, if it's less than your TDEE you will lose weight. And I heartily concur. :drinker:

I think it's misrepresenting this chick to say she is "eating whatever she wants" though. She is eating at a deficit. Maybe she magically has no desire to eat more than that, but she IS managing her intake. If the issue was "can you do no tracking of your intake and eat as much as you want and still lose weight because you lift" that would be a different and sort of unanswerable question.

Her words, not mine. She claims to eat whatever she wants. But yes, I do believe she meant that she eats what she wants as long as she stays within her calories for the day and gets her protein in. Basically meaning she pays no mind to her other macros.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYHAR8Xzsyo
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    The basics are hitting protein and calorie amount. Carb/Fat ratio is personal preference.

Many people do find that their performance in the gym suffers if their carb intake dips too low.
    All macros are based on a personal preference.

Gym performance and overall mood, should be priorities. This easiest way to affect both is via carb intake.

Back to the original question. You can eat whatever you want, as long as it fits your macros.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    One of the women said that she eats whatever she wants, just makes sure to hit her protein goals and stays within her calories, but doesn't worry about fat, carbs, sodium, sugar or anything else - and still loses weight because she's lifting. Might I add that she doesn't do ANY cardio. The guy she was talking to said that can't be possible.

This lady sounds like me. I make sure I hit my protein goals (about 3kg per kg of bodyweight right now - but I change that ratio throughout the months). I don't worry about sodium and sugar because I avoid sugars and processed foods and don't add sugar to my foods (along with sodium). I don't eat out much and prepare my own food.

I naturally feel satisfied at the appropriate daily caloric intake. I essentially eat until I am satisfied, and I eat 1 big meal a day, or maybe 2. I have only started tracking what I eat for about a week. It's very difficult to break 3000 calories for me because of the whole foods I eat. Right now I'm still trying to cut. I want to get down to around 5% body fat if its possible. I'm 8% now.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I've lost my entire 90 lbs that way... but to be fair... I didn't start lifting until I lost the first 75. :happy:
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    i only watch calories and protein and get fantastic results.... Veteran lifter and parcour free runner.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I eat... everything. I keep an eye on my calories and macros but I don't obsess over any of it. If I find myself becoming a little too obsessive, I stop logging for a week or two.
  • bassmanlarry
    bassmanlarry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've lost 46lbs eating chilli cheese coneys from Sonic drive-in. But seriously, I eat whatever I want.
  • crazylovergrl
    crazylovergrl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I used to lift and eat whatever I wanted. Lost 70 lbs, but in order to lose that last 30, I had to tighten up my diet quite a bit.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I have a macro goal-i eat whatever it takes to reach that goal.
    i mainly watch calories, protein, and carbs.
    right now, in enjoying a 522 calorie shake while waiting on my 477 calorie snack to cook. then again, im not trying to lose.