Replies

• lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    A tool kit
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    My ex-mother-in-law bought me a cheapo set of kitchen tools one year. It consisted of a hollow, plastic rolling pin (which is about as frigging useful as a screen door on a submarine), a turkey baster (I'm vegetarian) and a few other really crappy basic kitchen utensils. Still, that was perhaps better than the bathroom scale she gave me for my birthday.
  • FitGoal165
    Options
    I once bought my dad a bottle of Old Spice when I was a kid. The look of disgust on his face is still seared into my memory. Ha!
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    My 68 yo mother thinks I have the same taste in clothes as she does... one year I got a bright orange floral top that had gathers across the top of the bodice and puffy sleeves... that went directly to Goodwill.
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I once bought my dad a bottle of Old Spice when I was a kid. The look of disgust on his face is still seared into my memory. Ha!

HAHAHAHA--I always bought by dad old spice soap on a rope--poor man.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I got my wife a vacuum for Christmas. In all fairness, it was a Roomba and she'd been looking at it for a while.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    One year I complained about my husband not returning the hammer to the tool box. He gave me 4 hammers for Christmas.
    lol i hope you used them on him :) :P
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Several years ago a guy I was dating got me a "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" daily calendar ..this after he had asked me to marry him. Yes I am and no we didnt!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I got my wife a vacuum for Christmas. In all fairness, it was a Roomba and she'd been looking at it for a while.

If it's something that she wants, then it is an amazing gift!

Coincidentally, I would love to have a Roomba!
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I had 2 Christmases in a row that my family forgot about me. So I got nothing if that counts.

or the Christmas morning when I noticed the gift from grandma wasn't there and my family informed me that she had died several months earlier and they forgot to tell me.

yeah I got lost in the shuffle of 11 kids

Wow -- that's some kind of shuffling. That's terrible! I'm sorry~
  • gwenmf
    Options
    One year I complained about my husband not returning the hammer to the tool box. He gave me 4 hammers for Christmas.
    lol i hope you used them on him :) :P

Yep, this ^^ agree~! lol
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Years ago i was dating a guy for 3 years. on one of the last christmas's we were together, i got him like 4 or 5 NICE gifts, he gave me a chocolate orange.... i am pretty sure he stole it too, lol
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Once got a "Steely Dan" cd in a white elephant gift exchange.

I'm not a huge Steely Dan fan, but it could be worse.

The worst thing that I ever got was cardboard. My great-aunt was born in 1915 and grew up during the depression. She thought that cardboard from packages of pantyhose or underwear was a great gift because I could draw on it and make things out of it. Maybe that's why I was so creative as a kid...but it was still the worst present ever, and she gave me cardboard more than once. The second worst was a birthday present. The same aunt tried to make me my favorite dessert for my birthday...sweet thought and everything, but she was a real menace in the kitchen. The whole house filled up with smoke. We had to pull the batteries out of the smoke alarm and leave all the doors and windows open for like forty minutes in mid-January. Somehow, the food came out okay, but my eyes hurt for a couple of days from all the smoke. :laugh:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Not for Christmas but my Grandma used to give me Ann Geddes dolls for my birthday every year - when I was in my 30s.

For Christmas we have a gift exchange at work - about 50% of the presents are just horrifying. I got a stuffed bird that chirps when you squeeze him. So I kept him on my desk and every once in a while we'd give him a squeeze. Several months later another stuffed chirping bird showed up to keep him company. Now they hang out w/a stuffed "chia pet" I won for a door prize at another work event, a deck of chia pet playing cards I got at Christmas last year and other weird stuff I've gotten over the years at my work. I always wonder if anyone thinks I bought any of this stuff myself and brought it in. It's like a shrine of weirdness in the corner of my desk.

My ex-BF (we were engaged at the time) bought me one of those things you put water in and soak your feet in and it massages them. Great if you're 80 - I was 19.
  • gwenmf
    Options
    My mother-in-law bought me lingerie. She had told my husband that he was making me fat a few weeks prior. She knew that he had mentioned it to me and felt bad. I appreciate the thought but how could I wear it without my husband and I both thinking of his mother?

True~
  • Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    My ex FIL gave me d*ck shaped cookie cutters the first Christmas we celebrated together.
  • happypath101
    Options
    My former mother-in-law gave me a shiny purple and pink paisley turtle-neck once. It was the only time I'd ever returned a gift.
  • dreamer722
    dreamer722 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    a Swiffer
  • TayTayLMT
    Options
    My ex FIL gave me d*ck shaped cookie cutters the first Christmas we celebrated together.

How... awkward.
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My grandmother got me an acid-washed denim purse with fringe...and it was bedazzled. And I was, like, 30 at the time. Wretched.
    Once I dated someone who was notorious for giving bad gifts...she got me a beautiful Field Guide to Trees of the Pacific Northwest...but we live in New England. Another time she got me a DVD of a movie that I hated, and it was in Spanish with no subtitles. Oh, and one year for my birthday, my best friend gave me a package of disposable razors and a box of Fiber One bars. LMAO! Weirdest gift combo ever.