Options
    really it didnt sound like a paid add
    Peace out

no..it was an ad to make YOU pay

peace out
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    In countries where soy is readily consumed, most of that consumption is fermented soy products...and it's not nearly in the quantities that we in the West think it is. The fermentation process eliminates most of the bad stuff in soy. Everything in moderation...I enjoy a bit of Tofu now and then to mix it up, but there are much better sources of protein IMHO, even if you are vegetarian.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I like soy, but maybe it depends where you live. Food labellling in the UK is pretty regulated and accurate - so it doesn't really ever turn up as a surprise extra ingredient, lol. And all the products I buy are GM free. The soups and soy sauce etc are all quite high sodium though, so I'm a little careful for that reason.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    This is a great article about taking everything you read with a grain of salt: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_131983.html

Basically, researchers created a list of 50 random food items, and then looked at how many studies from the past 35 years that tout benefits or risks of consuming said items. They found:
    For 40 out of the 50 ingredients - including veal, celery, cheese and mustard - there were a total of 264 such studies. Of those, 103 suggested the ingredient was tied to an increased risk of cancer, and 88 to a decreased risk.

Studies on some ingredients, such as onions, carrots and tea, almost all showed a decreased cancer risk, and for others, like bacon and sugar, most or all findings showed a higher risk. But for many foods, study results were all over the map.

The average effect shown in each study was about a doubling of cancer risk or a halving of risk, depending on which direction the association went for a particular ingredient in a particular report. However, the data backing those claims was usually unconvincing, Schoenfeld and Ioannidis said.

Although that particular article doesn't seem to reference soy products. Are you saying there is conflicting evidence on many foods, so we should just eat which foods we want?
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I know it can stop your menstrual if consumed every day :) People trying to get pregnant avoid it at all costs, it can stop ovulation.
    I call bunk on this.
    I've been having soy every day for years and my aunt just wont stop visiting every month.

there is no good reason to eat soy everyday but whatever
    Theres no good reason not to eat soy everyday, so i will.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    =Basically, if you plant this soybean weeds will not grow.
    Actually, that's not true. If you plant it, you can spray the emerged plant with Roundup and not kill it so you can spray for weeds while it's growing.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I know it can stop your menstrual if consumed every day :) People trying to get pregnant avoid it at all costs, it can stop ovulation.

This is a new one to me. Where is this information from?

Wow. That is not true. So are you telling me that Asian people, like myself, that consume soy products like tofu all don't ovulate or have menstrual cycles?

What about lactose intolerant people, like myself, who do so because they can't have dairy?

Hmmm...last I checked...which was just last month....I had a menstrual cycle. Oh, and my cousin...has had 5 effin' kids. And I'm pretty sure certain populations that eat soy products quite often are procreating just fine .... Sooooooooooo.......
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    My only two cents is that I have noticed when my parent and I tried soy milk it made us a little gassy. They went back to regular cow milk and I switched to almond milk for some things and use cow milk for others.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    my mom says it is the devil. if brands say non gmo who knows if it really is. i eat it, not too much because it can trigger bladder flare ups for me. i am a vegetarian so it is in a lot of meatless prducts, although i finally found a grocery that sells quorn meatless and soy free products so i can start buying those again. when it comes down to it, if that doesn't get you something else will.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    YOU WILL DIE IF YOU EAT SOY!!! Seriously, it's fine to consume. I don't know anyone who eats pounds of it everyday and as a veg. I'm at "ground zero" for soy consumption. It is often used by countless veg. (<--- this means vegan and vegetarians) along with a healthy rotation of other foods. I've been eating the stuff for twenty some odd years. I just had a complete physical a couple of weeks ago and with my 40th birthday around the corner I am happy to report zero health problems (most notably amazing cholesterol levels). Be a smart consumer, do your research, eat the good stuff (organic non GMO) you'll be fine.

ETA: Obviously if you have a personal problem with consuming it-- don't eat it! Same goes for wheat, eggs, dairy, meat, nuts.......c'mon be smart people.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Personally, I eat soy products daily in the form of: soy flour, edamame, tofu, tempeh, natto, or Inarizushi (fried tofu typically filled with sushi rice alone).

It's a personal decision.
  • gingerveg
    Options

I couldn't find anything about that. But in regards to women specifically, here are a few studies I found (doing a quick search) that conclude benign results and even show some interesting benefits of soy consumption for women:

The Effect of Soy Food Intake on Mineral Status in Premenopausal Women.
    Zhou, Ying ; Alekel, D. Lee ; Dixon, Philip M. ; Messina, Mark ; Reddy, Manju B.
    Source: Journal of Women's Health (15409996) (J WOMENS HEALTH (15409996)), 2011 May; 20(5): 771-80 (63 ref)
    Conclusions : Incorporating ∼19 g soy protein from soy foods for 10 weeks had no significant effect on iron or zinc status, bone resorption or formation, or thyroid hormone status in premenopausal women.

Soy food intake after diagnosis of breast cancer and survival: an in-depth analysis of combined evidence from cohort studies of US and Chinese women.
    Nechuta, Sarah J. ; Caan, Bette J. ; Chen, Wendy Y. ; Wei Lu ; Zhi Chen ; Kwan, Marilyn L. ; Flatt, Shirley W. ; Ying Zheng ; Wei Zheng ; Pierce, John P. ; Xiao Ou Shu
    American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
    Conclusion: In this large study of combined data on US and Chinese women, postdiagnosis soy food consumption of >10 mg isoflavones/d was associated with a nonsignificant reduced risk of breast cancer- specific mortality and a statistically significant reduced risk of recurrence. One of the studies included in the After Breast Cancer Pooling Project, the Women's Healthy Eating & Living Study, was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00003787. Am J Clin Nutr 2012;96:123-32.

Short-term effects of high soy supplementation on sex hormones, bone markers, and lipid parameters in young female adults.
    European Journal of Nutrition
    Zittermann A ; Geppert J ; Baier S ; Zehn N ; Gouni-Berthold I ; Berthold HK ; Reinsberg J ; Stehle P
    CONCLUSIONS: High short-term isoflavone-containing soy intake slightly affects physiologic fluctuations in bone turnover, but has no significant effects on most circulating sex hormones and on lipoprotein parameters in young healthy women.

Long-term soy isoflavone supplementation and cognition in women: A randomized, controlled trial.
    Henderson VW ; St John JA ; Hodis HN ; Kono N ; McCleary CA ; Franke AA ; Mack WJ
    Neurology
    CONCLUSION: For healthy postmenopausal women, long-term dietary soy isoflavone supplementation in a dose comparable to that of traditional Asian diets has no effect on global cognition but may improve visual memory. Classification of evidence: This study provides Class I evidence that long-term dietary supplementation with isoflavone-rich soy protein does not improve global cognition of healthy postmenopausal women.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    my mom says it is the devil. if brands say non gmo who knows if it really is. i eat it, not too much because it can trigger bladder flare ups for me. i am a vegetarian so it is in a lot of meatless prducts, although i finally found a grocery that sells quorn meatless and soy free products so i can start buying those again. when it comes down to it, if that doesn't get you something else will.

Quorn brand is pretty readily available- I can't say all their products are soy-free but I know they at least have options. Uses egg protein instead of soy.
  • mad923
    mad923 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    try to stick with organic soy products
    i drank/ate soy throughout menopause and had such an easier go of it (no crazy hot flashes or mood swings) than my carnivorous female friends
  • mad923
    Options
    my LDL & triglycerides dropped dramatically 3-4 months after switching from animal proteins to soy
    HDLs increased with regular workouts
    it's cool
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    I will find sources if you are interested, but first of all, there isn’t substantial evidence to show us that plant estrogens (like the phytoestrogens in soybeans) put one at risk for hormone-dependent breast or ovarian cancer. Plant estrogens are very weak, not really absorbed, and broken down fairly easily. There is more evidence to support the other side of the research on soy – that it actually puts one at a lower risk of breast cancer. So even men who talk about how they worry about the hormones really have no basis for those claims.

Moreover, animal estrogens (like those often found in dairy milk) are “stronger” estrogens, and are absorbed very differently in the body. These estrogens are more likely to mimic the estrogen in a woman’s body. Dairy accounts for about 60-80% of the estrogens consumed by people in the U.S. This is because cows are often milked very often throughout the year, even during the late stages of pregnancy. Cows that are pregnant produce milk that contains over 30 times more sex hormones than milk from a cow that is not pregnant.

I’m not trying to say one is better over the other; I just want to give the other perspective that is not often talked about – which is that animal foods can also contain sex hormones.

As for GMOs, well, that is a whole other debate. My advice is to go organic with soy whenever possible. Otherwise, I see no reason to not have soy in moderation. I also see no reason to not consume dairy foods in moderation either.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I've heard that you just shouldn't drink TOO much soy milk..but too much of anything is bad, in perspective, right? I rather drink Almond milk, 1 to play it safe, and 2 because it tastes better. It sits on my stomach better as well.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options

This is a new one to me. Where is this information from?

Wow. That is not true. So are you telling me that Asian people, like myself, that consume soy products like tofu all don't ovulate or have menstrual cycles?

What about lactose intolerant people, like myself, who do so because they can't have dairy?

Hmmm...last I checked...which was just last month....I had a menstrual cycle. Oh, and my cousin...has had 5 effin' kids. And I'm pretty sure certain populations that eat soy products quite often are procreating just fine .... Sooooooooooo.......

Don't know this for sure, since I'm can't read the persons mind, but I think she was meaning people who are struggling to get pregnant and are maybe having some uh, potency issues.
  • mad923
    Options
    =Basically, if you plant this soybean weeds will not grow.
    Actually, that's not true. If you plant it, you can spray the emerged plant with Roundup and not kill it so you can spray for weeds while it's growing.

Folks, please stop using Roundup. It poisons the ground water. http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/pesticidesgw.html
  • gingerveg
    Options
    try to stick with organic soy products
    i drank/ate soy throughout menopause and had such an easier go of it (no crazy hot flashes or mood swings) than my carnivorous female friends

my LDL & triglycerides dropped dramatically 3-4 months after switching from animal proteins to soy
    HDLs increased with regular workouts
    it's cool

So glad to read this since I'm heading (too quickly) in that direction (towards menopause). And yeah there is overwhelming research that shows the benefits of a plant-based diet on our hearts (in more ways than one). <3