Favorite Baked Treats without eggs?

Options
Does anyone have any recipes for healthy baked treats that you love? I have an allergy to eggs so please don't send me something I cannot make! :-D I love to bake and I have plenty of eggless recipes full of calories, but thought I'd see if anyone has favorites that are healthy or at least healthier!

Oh, and Happy Valentine's Day! ;-)

Replies

• jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i think you can replace some of those recipes and use applesauce or yogurt instead..
    or maybe that was in place of oil?// help us out guys.. i want to know also..:blushing:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Black Bean Brownies

•15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
    •2 whole bananas
    •2 tbsp agave nectar
    •6 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
    •1 tsp cinnamon
    •1.5 tsp vanilla extract
    •0.25 cup raw sugar (optional, I didn't use, my bananas were RIPE)
    •0.5 cup instant oats

Instructions:
    Preheat oven to 350F. Grease anf 8x8" pan and set aside. Combine all ingredients, except oats, in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth, scrapping sides as needed. Stir in the oats and pour batter into the pan. Bake approx 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool before slicing Chef's Note: if you find these brownies are too soft or too fudgey, add another 1/4 cup oats or flour.

Divided into 16 squares
    Calories 69
    carbs 12g
    fiber 2g
    sugar 4g
    protein 2.5g
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    What about using egg replacer in regular recipies? That's what I do sometimes. Doesn't affect the taste of my banana bread muffins:wink:
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    I don't have specific receipe to suggest but I searched on eggs replacement today :happy:

It seems you can replace eggs by tofu, ground flaxesseds or other combinations of ingredients depending on what you're baking.

Here's the page I found today:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Replace-Eggs-in-Your-Cooking
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I have to eat gluten-free and have noticed some boxes of cake, brownies, etc. near the gluten-free section of the grocery store that are "egg free"... not sure if your local store has them too, but might be worth looking into! :flowerforyou:
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    I don't have specific receipe to suggest but I searched on eggs replacement today :happy:

It seems you can replace eggs by tofu, ground flaxesseds or other combinations of ingredients depending on what you're baking.

Here's the page I found today:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Replace-Eggs-in-Your-Cooking

They actually have egg replacer at the stores too. There are different brands, and you mix a tablespoon in some water then add it to your recipe in place of eggs. I know our grocer carries Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer, but I bought a different brand at the food co-op.
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    Wacky Cocoa Cake

Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup white sugar
    .25 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 tablespoon cider vinegar
    .75 cup vegetable oil
    1 cup water

Directions
    1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2.Sift flour, sugar, salt, soda, and cocoa together into an 8x8 inch ungreased cake pan. Make three depressions. Pour oil into one well, vinegar into second, and vanilla into third well. Pour water over all, and stir well with fork. (ok, I do mine in the stand mixer-- mix all dry ingredients, then add wet ingredients and blend, no need to make depressions).
    3.Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes, or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean. Frost with your favorite icing (also delish without frosting, it's so moist).

For a generous 3" square (single layer)
    Calories 239
    Fat 9g
    Sodium 279mg
    Carbs 39g
    Fiber 1g
    Sugars 22g
    Protein 3g
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    check out some of the recipies on this blog

its all vegan, so that means no eggs, and its also very health concious with both low fat/calories kept in mind but also alternatives both on the healthier and more decadent side offered for most stuff.

www.fatfreevegan.com
  • THuffers
    Options
    What about using egg replacer in regular recipies? That's what I do sometimes. Doesn't affect the taste of my banana bread muffins:wink:

Almost all egg replacers have some egg in them and they will cause an allergic reaction. I wish I could use them though!
  • THuffers
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone! I have tried applesauce and other replacements in many of my recipes but they haven't come out right so far. I just moved to Maryland from Colorado and I think some of the problem was the high altitude so I may have to try again. :-)

I MUST try the brownie recipe. I love brownies. I had an eggless recipe which tasted good but I would have to cheat every time I ate them. :-) Thank you so much for it!
  • pettmybunny
    Options

Almost all egg replacers have some egg in them and they will cause an allergic reaction. I wish I could use them though!

The egg replacer I got from the co-op doesn't have any egg in it. Quoting from the box, "Ener-G Egg Replacer contains NO EGGS or EGG DERIVATiVES. It is not nutritionally the same as eggs."

The ingredient list-- Potato starch, tapioca flour, leavening (calcium lactate, calcium carbonate, citric acid), sodium carboxymethylcellulose, methylcellulose. Calcium lactate is not dairy derived. It does not contain lactose.

The woman who checked me out also said the next time I needed some to check with her, because she's got other suggestions as well. I love the co-op, everyone there is so friendly and helpful.